jpmathew

HDMI failure on Pi 3 B after overheating

Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:33 am

I got my 3rd Raspberry Pi 3 B from Element14 in India and soon after I booted with Raspbian and within a few minutes, the HDMI display showed noise lines and finally the display totally failed. The Raspbian was working, as I could ssh into it. Subsequent reboots caused the HDMI to be blank, but system working with ssh. The "vcgencmd measure_temp" showed 44 and rising up to 50 very fast.
If I chill the Pi and then power on, I am able to get the display for about 5 minutes, and then when it heats up, and the display fails. With config_hdmi_boost=11 it works for a bit longer, but after sometime that too fails.
Issue seems to be that of SoC overheating. But I am puzzled not understanding which part of SoC reduces the signal strength that is going to HDMI with a "normal" heating level of SoC. I am in Kolkata and in March the normal room temperature is a bit hot!
Is there anything I can check before I try for a return of the board?
Thanks a lot to Raspberry Pi team.

ktb

Re: HDMI failure on Pi 3 B after overheating

Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:13 am

Is the temperature really only reaching 50 °C or does it go much higher? 50 °C isn't very hot in my opinion. The measure_temp readings on my Pi3B have gotten much hotter than that in certain scenarios without causing any problems for me.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:14 am

That sounds like a defective board - 50 isn't all that hot - it can go to 85'C before it starts to throttle the CPU.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

jpmathew

Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:59 am

jamesh wrote:That sounds like a defective board - 50 isn't all that hot - it can go to 85'C before it starts to throttle the CPU.
Thanks jamesh. The point is that this board worked for an hour before it failed. Here I tend to believe that overheating caused the "damage" to the SoC. If so, should we all use a heat sink on the Pi 3 B models to avoid future failures. I never had a case of Pi 2 failure, and I can feel the Pi 3 gets rather hot.
If Liz views this : Is there a history of similar failures with RPF
Since config_hdmi_boost=11 made it work a wee bit better, I had this question, how does the GPU change signal strength?

Return to “General discussion”