carf

Re: HDMI/RCA question

Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:03 am

I realise that the question about multiple displays has been asked before but I couldn\'t understand from the answers whether a duplicate display is produced or the HDMI takes precedent?

I wanted to know as i wish to use a small LCD screen for normal use but would like to occasionally plug in the HDMI without unplugging the other output(as it will be hidden in my case).

Bacan

Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:27 am

I asked your question before about multiple displays.
Only one output will be active at a time, either the HDMI or composite RCA connector.
I\'m not aware of a LCD video channel at this time on the R-Pi card.
Will you be using the GPIO for the LCD video control channel or the RCA into another device, say a DVD player?

I\'ve not yet looked at the HDMI device spec., I will guess that a HDMI monitor is \"smart\" and can talk to the R-Pi video control logic, where as the RCA is only a hose streaming out of video signals. So if a HDMI is attached to the R-Pi and powered up, the R-Pi will talk to the smarter of the two video channels first. Of course, it sounds like the \"boot\" script can override the sensed signals within the SoC. So under Application Control, you can force the use of either channel, not both at the same time. I would guess that the SoC logic has a Mux to select the video creation for a channel.

I\'m going with the Buy Another R-Pi Card, as an answer to doing multiple monitors. Now I just have to work out the software to sync the video display\'s content. My Application is for an educational station, where multiple displays are actively assisting the student/learner. A proven system, currently costing over $100,000.00 USD. Will be interesting.

carf

Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:33 am

Thanks for the reply,

I was hoping to use this :http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-3-5-TFT- ... 327wt_1209 I kind of assumed that it would connect with the RCA.

As the portable part of my build will be taking place at least a month after I get the Pi i\'m sure the full answer will be available/ I will just buy and try :P

Return to “General discussion”