soydepr

apt-get upgrade error [solved]

Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:04 am

Do you want to continue? [Y/n] Y
Setting up libpam-chksshpwd:armhf (1.1.8-3.1+deb8u2+rpi2) ...
mkdir: cannot create directory ‘/var/lib/chksshpwd/’: File exists
dpkg: error processing package libpam-chksshpwd:armhf (--configure):
subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
Errors were encountered while processing:
libpam-chksshpwd:armhf
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1
Last edited by soydepr on Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

romney_yw

Re: apt-get upgrade error

Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:40 am

I get exactly the same error, although I'm using apt rather than apt-get.

In my case, the directory /var/lib/chksshpwd (on two separate installations) was created on Feb 15, presumably by a previous upgrade. I found that this directory was empty, so I removed it and then tried the upgrade again. Success! And the /var/lib/chksshpwd directory was recreated with today's date.

This would appear to be an easy work-around for the problem, which I hope will be fixed soon. I assume the mkdir command should really have a -p option, so that it doesn't complain when the directory has been created previously?

Hope this helps..... 8-)

pngwen

Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:08 am

I can confirm that I had the same problem, and deleting the /var/lib/chksshpwd directory fixed the issue. It looks like there must be some sort of a bug in the dpkg script for libpam-chksshpwd:armhf.

twop0intfive

Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:56 pm

I too can confirm that I had the same issue described above and that following the suggestion to delete that directory corrected it for me. I'm glad I wasn't the only one! 8-)

pumpkinpi

Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:39 pm

Same here. Fixed with:

Code: Select all

cd /var/lib
sudo rm -R chksshpwd
PPi

romney_yw

Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:07 am

Perhaps safer to use

Code: Select all

sudo rmdir /var/lib/chksshpwd
which will only delete the directory if it's empty.

If it's NOT empty, you should maybe find another solution for the problem, until the issue is resolved properly.

They've sold more than 12.5 million Pis. While many don't use Rasbian and I think quite a lot of users do not upgrade the software routinely, there should be more than just a handful of us who have encountered this issue. :shock: Mine is just an average sort of Pi - for the time being.

It is also possible that the problem is inherited from Debian or elsewhere in the wider Linux world. As a relative newcomer, I don't know whether the problem should be reported, and if so to whom?

Or should we just wait to see if "they" notice and hope it is fixed at the next update?

soydepr

Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:51 am

Thanks all. Solution worked like a diamond ring. Issue solved this can be closed

wayne.dolesman

Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:24 am

The package should still be updated to prevent others from having the same issue. Not sure who the package maintainers are.

romney_yw

Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:39 am

Agreed. "They" are already aware of the problem....

See discussion here for more information: viewtopic.php?p=1137945#p1137945

(Thanks Simon :) . )

rpdom

Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:39 am

romney_yw wrote:It is also possible that the problem is inherited from Debian or elsewhere in the wider Linux world. As a relative newcomer, I don't know whether the problem should be reported, and if so to whom?
It is not a Debian issue. That package is one that is produced by the Raspberry Pi Foundation/Raspberry Pi Trading Ltd. They are aware of the issue and a fixed version will be released very soon now. I think I read somewhere that the directory that causes this error isn't used in the current version of the package and was supposed to be removed.

jadro

Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:37 am

Thanx,

Same problem, this solution works for me too.

Jadro
Oracle backend database developer
SmartHome IoT & Microprocessor enthusiast and hobbyist

anderhoff

Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:41 am

Been searching on and off for the last two days. Nice to finally see a solution for this problem. An older related posting mentioned needing a larger capacity SD or simply starting fresh with a new SD card. In my case, it was a fresh image download and a brand new SanDisk 32GB SD card. Was it already bad or broken? Nope - those were not the problems.

Now I need to figure out how to use this new external Seagate 4TB HDD with NTFS.. err, nevermind.. maxium supported HDD is 2TB?!? or maybe it needs 64-bit kernel and/or more ram - IDK??

davidcoton

Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:32 am

soydepr wrote: Issue solved this can be closed
You do that yourself by editing your first post in the thread and adding "[Solved]" to the title.
Signature retired

Return to “General discussion”