solar3000

Official RPI0 Case has no SD card access

Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:27 am

Did I get a defective case?
Or does the new official Raspberry Pi Zero case have no SD card access?
Or do I need to use my Dremel-Fu?
Antikythera

W. H. Heydt

Re: Official RPI0 Case has no SD card access

Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:11 am

Hmmm.... I just looked at the one I have and you appear to be correct. There is no card opening. I guess you have to put the SD card in before putting the Pi0/Pi0W in the case. It will be interesting to see how this facet of the case goes with the complaint about how hard it is to remove a Pi0/Pi0W from the case once installed. It would mean that it can't fall out or be accidentally removed, though.

alphanumeric

Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:17 am

Weird? Big hole in the bottom for GPIO access but no SD card opening? Personally, I would have liked it the other way around. Still a really nice looking case though. And the extra covers is a nice bonus.

rpdom

Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:50 am

alphanumeric wrote:Weird? Big hole in the bottom for GPIO access but no SD card opening? Personally, I would have liked it the other way around.
I'm not too fussed about the SD card access, as I don't swap cards on most of my Pis very often (if at all).

I would have preferred if the GPIO bottom hole had been covered or has a press-out part though. It sort of defeats part of the object of having a case to protect the Pi from loose wires and things if there's a great big hole underneath it.

alphanumeric

Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:43 pm

A knockout would have been a nice option. Or a second bottom without the hole in it.

The Pimoroni PIBOW ZERO cases are a real pain. No SD card access on those either. You have to remove the four nuts and bolts, take the layers apart, remove your card. Put it back in, put it back together, and bolt it all up again. I swap cards some, usually after screwing something up while editing a file or some other mod, lol.

CarlRJ

Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:59 pm

alphanumeric wrote:The Pimoroni PIBOW ZERO cases are a real pain. No SD card access on those either. You have to remove the four nuts and bolts, take the layers apart, remove your card. Put it back in, put it back together, and bolt it all up again.
That's why I only have one of the PiBow Zero cases. They're pretty, they're well made, but it's a time-consuming don't-lose-all-the-little-bits process to get access to the microSD card. The c4labs cases are much better in that respect.

The official Pi Zero case is cute, it's easy to get the top on and off, the lack of a card slot doesn't bother me much because it's easy enough to bow the site with the latch out a bit and lift the Pi out, but, yeah, I'd happily trade the extra two lids for a solid (or punch-out) case bottom.

solar3000

Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:36 pm

Well, I did some box cutter therapy. I used a red hot butter knife and burned a hole where the SD card would come out. Then I smoothed it out with a box cutter. There's no space to create a hole big enough to comfortably pull out the SD card. But its still better than taking out the circuit board and camera board just to swap out the SD card that corrupts often. I swap out SD cards often for many reasons.
Antikythera

solar3000

Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:41 pm

Now, for the design. The case comes with three white covers. All three can be merged into one.
You have one blank, solid cover. You have one with GPIO slot cut out. You have one with a hole in the middle for the camera.
Why not have press-outs marked from the inside (or punch out in the USA. Are we violent? )?? On the white cover, one for the GPIO. One for the camera. On the raspberry colour bottom, you can have a press-out for the GPIO (why?). And one press-out for the SD card. Every hole should be optional except obviously the power, USB host, and HDMI.
Antikythera

alphanumeric

Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:56 pm

I have a dremel tool so that's my first choice for these types of mods. I start with a cutting wheel or ball cutter. Then smooth the edges with the sanding drum or a file.

I like the 3 different tops. Cutouts/punch outs are fine where they don't show, like on the bottom. One top with a punch out for the GPIO, IMHO, would detract from the nice looks. It is a nice looking case IMHO.

If I needed to feed power in from the bottom , I'd just drill a small hole. How many people mount a full header on the bottom of a Zero? And if you did, would the case still be a viable option?

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:13 pm

rpdom wrote:
alphanumeric wrote:Weird? Big hole in the bottom for GPIO access but no SD card opening? Personally, I would have liked it the other way around.
I'm not too fussed about the SD card access, as I don't swap cards on most of my Pis very often (if at all).
I would have preferred if the GPIO bottom hole had been covered or has a press-out part though. It sort of defeats part of the object of having a case to protect the Pi from loose wires and things if there's a great big hole underneath it.
Although I've not tried this (again) yet, I suspect the idea of the "bottom hole" is to use a 40pin socket for GPIO connection and, perhaps, subsequently plug the whole unit into a T-cobbler or similar** (since socket connections are somewhat "shrouded" then they're less likely to be affected by "loose wires and things")
Trev.
**somewhat like what I did here (for an early, uncased, Pi 0):
http://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi ... Powered.22
Still running Raspbian Jessie or Stretch on some older Pi's (an A, B1, B2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W, 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, A+ and a B2) but Buster on the P4B's. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

alphanumeric

Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:21 pm

I've toyed with the idea of doing that. Except I'd use a 90 degree header so the zero was pointing up. I don't think I would bother with a case though, in that setup? One of those Adafruit Pi protectors maybe?

Electron752

Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:14 pm

I have the same problem with cases the RPI. I don't like any of then.

I bought a 3d printer that I use with free software called FreeCAD that's available on the web. That way I print whatever case I want. And I even sometimes try to make custom boards and trying to find a good case for that is impossible.

I know of a company in Colorado at www.lulzbot.com that makes good printers based on free software. They only thing is they are a bit expensive.

Return to “General discussion”