Gadgetguy

Smtube for quick efficient Youtube browsing

Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:21 pm

It may be of interest to some users of omxplayergui who enjoy Youtube to know that omxplayergui can be designated and used by Smtube -Youtube browser as it's video player engine. It works wonderfully well and high def video will start playing in omxplayergui almost immediately after clicking because smtube's internal youtube code is used to invoke omxplayergui. I like starting omxplayergui minimized without controls because it can then be positioned and easily be toggled back and forth to maximum with one click and navigational controls enabled quickly by keyboard shortcuts.
While Smtube youtube browser is an integrated part of the Smplayer multimedia player( http://smplayer.sourceforge.net/ ) it will also run indepedently and without Smplayer. Other video players can also be employed and substituted for smplayer. Omxplayergui has the virtue of having a resizable draggable window with very low resource usage and is very easy to install and setup on raspbian and is well supported by G. Kreidl as part of his kweb suite. Of note -Uget can also be deployed by smtube. I also like using smtube with it's intended Smplayer-mpv combination. It too works exceedingly well on the raspberry pi with high def videos. I use a hack to toggle back and forth between a small window and full screen as described here: ( viewtopic.php?f=63&t=153480&p=1072435&h ... a#p1072435 )
While Smtube's internal youtube code must from time to time be updated this is accomplished in mere seconds by using smtube's menu. Smtube is a very efficient alternative way of browsing youtube and gives quick access to comments, related videos and the full youtube site if desired. While I also like browsing Youtube by a normal web browser such as Kweb or Chromium Smtube also has many virtues particulary speed and configurablity. I recommend pi users give it a try.

The Smtube browser in the raspbian repository is very old and useless. To obtain a usable smtube deb file binary which you can then install on raspbian you must compile the latest version from source- found at http://www.smtube.org/ (unless you can find a precompiled armhf version somewhere on the internet). However Smtube is very easily and quickly compiled (using basically the same but modified instructions contained in the install.txt file found when smplayer is extracted.from source.)

How to compile and install smtube :

Compiling smtube should be easy. It only depends on Qt.
it can only be compiled with Qt 4.3 or greater.

How to make a deb package

----------------------------
Be sure you have installed the following packages: libqt4-dev, zlib1g-dev,
fakeroot, build-essential, devscripts, debhelper and g++.

sudo apt-get install libqt4-dev zlib1g-dev fakeroot build-essential devscripts debhelper g++

Place the downloaded smtube source tarball in your home ( pi ) directory -extract it and then open the extracted smtube folder in terminal and then run the following command :

./create_deb.sh

Voila!

I would like to attach some pics to assist interested users in configuring smtube but I can't seem to upload any images.for some reason

Gadgetguy

Re: Smtube for quick efficient Youtube browsing

Thu May 11, 2017 7:41 pm

A short addenda to my earlier post in case it wasn't clear: To add omxplayergui as a designated video player and engine for smtube you go into Smtube's menu: view/settings/players and add omxplayergui as a player and under parameters specify %u and make sure not to tick " this player supports video sites" and also specify to add to the context right click menu for both video and audio. You can also add uget !! as a designated " player ". Uget's parameter could be specified such as:

--quiet --folder=/media/pi/yourdrive/your directory --filename=%f %u

As should be apparent you assign priority to your video players to move them up and down in the right click menu with the topmost player being activated on a left click.

QBall1977

Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:46 am

Dear all,

Don’t suppose anyone knows where to get a modern build of this for the Pi3 B? I have tried compiling from source, but I can’t seem to get QT5 working with it.

I just get build errors about scripts

Project ERROR: Unknown module(s) in QT: script

I’ve installed

sudo apt-get install libqt5script5

Any help or info on building would be greatly appreciated.

Gadgetguy

Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:11 am

Hi, I succesfully compiled the latest version of smtube from source:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/smtube/ ... .0.tar.bz2.

As I recall it compiled fairly quickly. To get the latest smtube to build however, required installing some extra dependencies in addtion to those mentioned in my earlier post. The additional dependencies I installed were as per my synaptic history:

My commit Log for Sat Aug 4 16:10:51 2018

Installed the following packages:
libqt5multimediawidgets5 (5.7.1~20161021-2)
libqt5opengl5 (5.7.1+dfsg-3+rpi1)
libqtmultimediakit1 (1.2.0-3)
libqtscript4-core (0.2.0-1)
libqtscript4-opengl (0.2.0-1)
libqtscript4-webkit (0.2.0-1)
libqtwebkit-dev (2.3.4.dfsg-9.1)

After installing these packages you can then proceed as mentioned in the first post in this thread by following the instructions contained in the install text contained in the source package of smplayer:

http://downloads.sourceforge.net/smplay ... .0.tar.bz2

These instructions are:

How to make a deb package
----------------------------
Be sure you have installed the following packages: libqt4-dev, zlib1g-dev,
fakeroot, build-essential, devscripts, debhelper and g++.

sudo apt-get install libqt4-dev zlib1g-dev fakeroot build-essential devscripts debhelper g++

Place the downloaded smtube source tarball in your home ( pi ) directory -extract it and then open the extracted smtube folder in terminal and then run the following command :

./create_deb.sh

Best of luck! And as mentioned, I recall it was a fairly quick compile. I should note in passing that in addition to designating G. Kreidl’s omxplayergui as a player for smtube I have also designated smplayer with hardware accelerated mpv as its engine as a player for for smtube as well as some other hardware accelerated video players. Variety is the spice of life and itis nice to have more than one arrow in your quiver! You can order them in the player settings as to which players take precedence and also specify the player to be used to play a youtube video via a right click menu.

Return to “General discussion”