W. H. Heydt

MCM/Farnell Cases

Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:31 am

By now, some people have probably noticed that I have a bit of a bee in my bonnet over cases...

First issue is that the snazzy ones, while pretty, tend to be rather expensive...at least compared to the Pi itself. It just somehow feels wrong to need to pay one third to one half the cost of the *computer* to get a case to put it in.

So I've been buying cases here and there to try them out. I have on hand (so far) an Adafruit case, some ModMyPi cases and, just arrived today, cases from MCM Electronics, a partner of Farnell. (Cases from RS are on order...and have been for 2 months.) Since these last are a fairly recent discovery that I haven't seen anyone talking about, I figure I owe people at least a preliminary review.

I spotted them on the MCM site after having searched Newark (the US sub of Farnell) and not finding any cases other than the "Bud" case, which I'm not interested in.

The cases from MCM came in a padded envelope, much like Farnell and Newark ship Pis. The cases themselves come in shrinkwrap--with a Farnell label and part number. I have since looked the numbers up on the Newark web site and they are there (the clear case is #2113799, the black one is #2113798, and there is also a white one). MCM's price is $7.35 each, and Newark gives the same list price, but they're on sale at the moment for a bit less at $6.62.

The cases are in two pieces of very smoothly finished plastic that snap together. Getting them open the first time takes a bit of doing, though. I was glad I started with the clear case, which meant that when I dealt with the black case, I'd already be able to see what I was dealing with. Since the cases don't come with directions one just has to cope. The Pi is held in place in the bottom of the case quuite firmly by edge clips that you snap the Pi into. External connecters have good support as well. There are two covered screw slots in the bottom of the case, so one could slide a cased Pi into place mounting it on a fixed surface. Since opening the case is done by springing the sides and prying the bottom off, you're not going to be able open a case that is mounted.

The bottom of the case has small raised, hollow circular sections for feet and is supplied with soft plastic hemispherical plastic feet with adhesive backing that fit inside the raised areas, making very good anti-slip feet.

There is a tube molded into the top piece of the case so you can look into it to see the LED indicators. There is no access provided for the GPIO pins. No doubt a short session with a Dremel tool would remedy that if it was an issue.

Here is Newarks page on the clear case... http://www.newark.com/multicomp/mc-rp00 ... tt=2113799

All in all...a very nice case design.

Salamander

Re: MCM/Farnell Cases

Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:31 am

Many thanks. Very helpful info. An all-sides pictures collection would be very appreciated.

Dweeber

Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:34 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote: Here is Newarks page on the clear case... http://www.newark.com/multicomp/mc-rp00 ... tt=2113799

All in all...a very nice case design.
What was the shipping on that. Some of these places are charging +$9 for UPS shipping which is ridiculous for a very light part like that.

$8 + $9 shipping makes for a $17 part, when if it was shipped USPS, not only would it get here faster but it shouldn't cost more than $3 shipping.
Dweeber A.K.A. Kevin...
My RPI Info Pages including Current Setup - http://rpi.tnet.com

billb

Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:46 pm

I have that same case from MCM -- very happy with it. And yes I had a bit of trouble opening it the first time, too!

milhouse

Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:55 pm

I picked up a couple of these cases (in black) from Farnell for £5.50 and just wanted to add that they're good cases, offering very good value for money.

mcmelectronics

Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:53 pm

Salamander wrote:Many thanks. Very helpful info. An all-sides pictures collection would be very appreciated.
Here are a couple I took of a unit at our warehouse today.

MCM Part# 83-14269, though as Dweeber noted, our shipping costs may be prohibitive if that's the only item you're purchasing. Looks like Newark has clear left and we have white units left. Black are on B/O everywhere I've looked.
MCM Electronics
@mcmelectronics
facebook.com/mcmelectronics

JimmyZ

Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:14 pm

I'm wondering if this case is compatible to both 2.0 and the old revision of raspberrypi boards?

milhouse

Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:01 pm

JimmyZ wrote:I'm wondering if this case is compatible to both 2.0 and the old revision of raspberrypi boards?
Should be - it just snaps in and doesn't use the holes that were added with 2.0. The ports are identical on all revisions, so can't think why there'd be a problem.

Dweeber

Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:59 am

I have both a 512mb and 256mb unit in these.. both black boxes.
Dweeber A.K.A. Kevin...

evaldas

Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:34 am

Do the cases from RS (764-4385 white and 764-4389 black) have light guides? Lacking such information I ordered clear one (764-4382). If it finds to be true I will update the order.

Dweeber

Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:03 pm

Light guides... no... A slot you can see into the unit to see the lights... yes.

Look at the pictures above and you can see the slot on the top of the case.
Dweeber A.K.A. Kevin...

milhouse

Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:08 pm

Dweeber wrote:Light guides... no... A slot you can see into the unit to see the lights... yes.

Look at the pictures above and you can see the slot on the top of the case.
Are those RS cases the same as the MCM cases? They don't look the same (similar, but not as rounded).

As this thread is called "MCM/Farnell Cases" - do Farnell have an exclusive on the MCM cases?

Dweeber

Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:24 pm

You do know that MCM Electronics is a A Premier Farnell Company

The ones I got from MCM are the same as the pictured ones other than color. I ordered the black ones.
Dweeber A.K.A. Kevin...

milhouse

Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:36 pm

Dweeber wrote:You do know that MCM Electronics is a A Premier Farnell Company

The ones I got from MCM are the same as the pictured ones other than color. I ordered the black ones.
No, I didn't know that. All the more reason to believe the MCM cases are unrelated to the RS cases posted by evaldas.

Dweeber

Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:49 pm

My BAD... I didn't realize he was talking about something unrelated to the thread.
evaldas wrote:Do the cases from RS (764-4385 white and 764-4389 black) have light guides? Lacking such information I ordered clear one (764-4382). If it finds to be true I will update the order.
Dweeber A.K.A. Kevin...

evaldas

Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:33 pm

I'm sorry about the confusion I did introduce.

I just saw in the first post that W. H. Heydt had cases on order from RS. But that was over two months ago. So I hoped, that by this time, he already got them and can provide some insight about those.

EDIT:
Found a thread by OP about RS cases: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 63&t=18555

W. H. Heydt

Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:32 pm

MCM sells teh Farnell cases. Allied sells the RS cases.

The Farnell cases have a slot over the LEDs. The RS cases do not.

There are other differences as well.

I'd love to get the companies together to make cases with the best features of both, but I doubt that will happen. (Basically, if one took the RS case, changed the hold case mounting points to the Farnell type and added the Farnell LED slot it would be just about perfect for anyone not trying to use the header pins.)

JimmyZ

Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:58 am

milhouse wrote:
JimmyZ wrote:I'm wondering if this case is compatible to both 2.0 and the old revision of raspberrypi boards?
Should be - it just snaps in and doesn't use the holes that were added with 2.0. The ports are identical on all revisions, so can't think why there'd be a problem.

Return to “General discussion”