Gavinmc42

Re: use pi zero w in commercial production

Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:25 am

$0.04 :o maybe they are selling pictures of the Zero W?
Wow, you can get bargains in Shenzhen.
And they can print 100,000 per day.

Can we get that Strange Parts YouTuber to go check for us, he is local?
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:26 am

HermannSW wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:30 pm
Stevem0 wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 3:03 pm
I need to order 20,000 to 40,000 units PiZero OR PiZeroW. Just joined so I can not PM. maybe someone can PM me with email address of who I can contact? Thanks!
I would not buy Pi Zero W in China, but was surprised that you can buy huge volumes there, although I doubt that you will get the same Pi Zero W. For 1-99999 3.40$/pc, above 0.04$/pc?!? That would mean you could order 100K Pi Zero Ws for 4000$ in total -- something must be wrong with that:
https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/ ... 18993.html
I seriously doubt that is a real deal. The price is well below manufacturing costs, so either completely fake or stolen, and as far as I know, we've not had any stolen.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

SlowBro

Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:59 pm

China is getting good at making copycats. I would not trust that is genuine. That, or you will not in the end get the price advertised.

Some Chinese manufacturers copy legit designs right from the source. They make a genuine product then sell the source code to another factory, or manufacture the exact same item for a competitor. Crazy.

jamesh

Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:03 pm

SlowBro wrote:
China is getting good at making copycats. I would not trust that is genuine. That, or you will not in the end get the price advertised.

Some Chinese manufacturers copy legit designs right from the source. They make a genuine product then sell the source code to another factory, or manufacture the exact same item for a competitor. Crazy.
The difficulty here is supply of the BCM2835 SoC, which only Broadcom make, and I think only we buy. So it would be very difficult getting hold of the parts required to make the Pi0W without us being aware.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

DirkS

Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:05 pm

SlowBro wrote:
I thought all Zeros are manufactured by Sony in Wales...

I find it hard to believe that someone managed to create working clones.

jamesh

Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:10 pm

DirkS wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:05 pm
SlowBro wrote:
I thought all Zeros are manufactured by Sony in Wales...

I find it hard to believe that someone managed to create working clones.
Looking at the tables on this page, it appears some Zero's are made elsewhere (in fact it's an interesting read for other models as well)

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... /README.md

SlowBro

Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:23 pm

jamesh wrote:
SlowBro wrote:

The difficulty here is supply of the BCM2835 SoC, which only Broadcom make, and I think only we buy. So it would be very difficult getting hold of the parts required to make the Pi0W without us being aware.
That assumes a clone uses a BCM2835 SoC and not something similar. Or as in the case of the recent FTDI chip scandal, a clone chip spray-painted to look the same.

jamesh

Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:30 pm

SlowBro wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:23 pm
jamesh wrote:
SlowBro wrote:

That assumes a clone uses a BCM2835 SoC and not something similar. Or as in the case of the recent FTDI chip scandal, a clone chip spray-painted to look the same.
Spoken to the sales/production team, they think it's just a phishing attempt to gather information. Our China guy will take a quick look, but for the moment, assume it's BS.

No-one, AFAIK has ever attempted to clone the BCM2835 - it's a hugely complicated chip compared to things like the FTDI ones, so cannot generally be 'copied'. Also, there isn't really a chip similar enough that the same stuff works on it compared to the original.

oneinsect

Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:25 pm

I sent an email for volume requirement which got routed to Simon West who said the sales manager would contact me. However I still did not get any response for anyone. Its been 3 days. Any help? Are you guys having too much email volume or queries to handle. Could be mine landed in junk.

Thank you

jamesh

Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:36 pm

oneinsect wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:25 pm
I sent an email for volume requirement which got routed to Simon West who said the sales manager would contact me. However I still did not get any response for anyone. Its been 3 days. Any help? Are you guys having too much email volume or queries to handle. Could be mine landed in junk.

Thank you
Just three days? I'd give it at least a week, if not more. Not only that, but today is Saturday! Whilst we do have email to handle, expecting any sort of response this quickly is overly optimistic.

oneinsect

Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:20 am

:D Sorry I should have thought so. I will wait. I understand so many people likes us must be bombarding you with emails.

Thank you

Return to “General discussion”