Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Re: What I would like to see in a future version of Raspberry Pi...

Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:32 pm

Some mounting holes would be fine....

Noooooooooooooo  not 11 + 2 AGAIN!!!
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

nelson

Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:41 pm

A 90º turn on the power connector would be nice and should be relatively easy to achieve.
The SD slot rotated  so the card is inserted from the same side has the hdmi (but under the power connector), also the SD should be about 5mm from the edge of the board to become almost flush when the pi is inside a box, this will require a lot of component moves.
The DSI moved to the edge of the board. and 2 holes (pin header style) drilled  as near the RG2 as possible, these holes would serve has structural support for arduino style shields that could be placed in the now empty space between GPIO and RG2. I don't know if this is even possible with the electrical requirements for the DSI.
Yes the USB should be flush with the board but changes required are so many and the benefits almost only cosmetic so not really high on the priority list.

In retrospect 3. is possibly the more important has it would give the community a standard for daughter boards.

o19

Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:07 pm

Nice idea! Video is English… Video: Minidrohne Mobee zum Aufklappen (4:55) Can we build the connectors like that?^^

Kerblamm

Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:09 pm

I just want a power button so I don"t have to worry about corrupting anything.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:12 pm

On my alpha I just unplugged it. Didn't even bother with 'shudown'. Never had any problems!
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

gb01

Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:20 am

I'd like to see 2 additional USB ports.  As is, every R pi owner will need to add a usb hub even is all they want is a mouse and keyboard.  Adding two more will allow for a mouse and keyboard and one additional thing without a usb hub.  Yes, the power supply would need to support all three usb devices and power the R pi.  But that's less cumbersome than a PS for the R pi and a power supply for the hub.

khulat

Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:45 am

Well at least the Model B has 2 USB Ports so Keyboard and Mouse are not a problem. The Model A has only one USB port.

gb01

Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:19 pm

Good point I thought it had only one.   Thanks for pointing that out.

Lynbarn

Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:19 pm

There are a number of standard USB keyboards that include two usb downlink ports built-in - one for a mouse, and one for "further expansion". These would make ideal companions to a 'Pi, IMO.

hayesey

Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:36 pm

khulat said:

Well at least the Model B has 2 USB Ports so Keyboard and Mouse are not a problem. The Model A has only one USB port.

it only has one USB port, the other USB connector is just for supplying power to the Pi.

rpt

Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:42 pm

hayesey said:

khulat said:

it only has one USB port, the other USB connector is just for supplying power to the Pi.

No, it really does have two USB ports, in addition to the micro USB power connector.

abishur

Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:02 pm

rpt is correct, is has one micro usb form factor power port (that is a power port that is shaped like a micro-usb connector) that micro-usb port does not have *any* data lines connected to it and is only a power jack.  While more than 2 usb ports would be nice for hobbyist, when you consider that the target market of this charity foundation is at providing a computer to kids so they can learn programing, then suddenly anything beyond a keyboard/mouse jack is just fluff.  Sure it can provide nice and beneficial accessories, but nothing vital.  On that vain as long as the keyboard has a single usb connector, you can easily make do with the single port that model A offers.
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

gb01

Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:36 pm

Lacking two USB ports on the model A does force schools to buy hubs or special keyboards.  It also might require two power supplies for each computer.  One for the R Pi and one for the hub.  It would be so much more convenient to just have the extra usb port on-board.

abishur

Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:46 pm

If you were buying a usb hub, you could power the r-pi straight off the hub, no need for second PSU
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

JeremyF

Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:47 am

Abishur said:

If you were buying a usb hub, you could power the r-pi straight off the hub, no need for second PSU

Actually? Because this has been a gray area at least through my confused eyes... people seem to be afraid of some sort of loop (a concept I do understand) and I've never really seen a straight answer.
{sig} Setup: Original version Raspberry Pi (B, rev1, 256MB), Dell 2001FP monitor (1600x1200), 8GB Class 4 SD Card with Raspbian and XBMC, DD-WRT wireless bridge

oninoshiko

Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:39 am

In addition, there are a number of keyboards which include a small USB hub. It's quite convinent for the mouse, actually!

jamesh

Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:57 pm

gb01 said:

Lacking two USB ports on the model A does force schools to buy hubs or special keyboards.  It also might require two power supplies for each computer.  One for the R Pi and one for the hub.  It would be so much more convenient to just have the extra usb port on-board.

That's basically the Model B. The B is just a A with double the memory, and a chip that takes the single USB port and converts it in to two ports plus ethernet.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

drgeoff

Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:38 pm

JeremyF said:

Abishur said:

Actually? Because this has been a gray area at least through my confused eyes… people seem to be afraid of some sort of loop (a concept I do understand) and I've never really seen a straight answer.

There is no loop to be afraid of.  The micro-USB connector has only power lines connected, no data ones.  And a powered hub should not be taking power from the USB devices plugged into it - certainly not to feed out on its other USB ports.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Return to “General discussion”