Wattie

Re: Commercial Use of the Pi

Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:24 am

Where are the real moderators here?
Tribal brigading ...again.

SteveSpencer

Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:52 am

jamesh wrote:Right now, there is no intention to relax the one per customer limit on Zero's or provide them in bulk quantities. However, we are working on fixing that. We do have a road map, but I do not have a timescale for any announcements, there is a lot of discussion going on and still to be done.

Right now, for commercial products, we recommend use of the Compute module. It is available in large quantities (generally, I'm checking the situation to see if there are any problems in supply), and for bulk order. This is how people like NEC and others use Raspberry Pi in commercial product.

Is that clear enough?
Crystal. And nicely put.

You missed out the part about the RPF aims, which are firmly in the educational sector, and often stated (but not often enough). You would have gotten away with it too, if it wasn't for those pesky developers/hobbyists ... (sincere apologies for the Americanisms, but not the Scooby Doo reference). Yes, I am one of those guys too.

Of course, the CM does require some additional work compared to plugging in a 'regular' module and slotting in a micro-SD, but IMO, that's just a commercial opportunity for someone to produce an adaptor board for the CM/CM3, isn't it? :P
If my design skills were up to it, I might start a KickStarter campaign, but they aren't, so I won't. Anyone want to step forward?

On a slight side note, I was under the impression that the one-per-customer (although enforced as one-per-order) rule was a policy of the resellers, such as Pimoroni, not the RPF. I have a number of the Zero and ZeroW boards, which I have acquired by placing multiple orders with the resellers, by dint of ordering one of them whenever I place another order with them. As a result, I don't see a supply problem, but nor do I have a warehouse full of them - although my work room would suggest otherwise.
Steve S
No, I can't think of anything funny that won't offend someone if they want it to...

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:39 am

Wattie wrote:Where are the real moderators here?
Tribal brigading ...again.
I'm here.

Have a 7 day ban.

Locking, nothing more to be said.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

jamesh

Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:53 pm

Actually, there is something more to be said with regard to the CM3 availability. We are right now working with RS and Farnell to fix the supply situation faster than the current schedules on their websites may state. Cannot be more specific at the moment but it's basically good news for those waiting for the CM3 supply to catch up.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

Return to “General discussion”