MrEngman

Thepihut screwed up my order (SOLVED)

Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:06 pm

Placed an order with ThePiHut early on Thursday, 02 Mar, for a Raspberry Pi Zero W - Zero W Mega Kit (UK PSU) and was surprised and rather pleased to get an email later in the day to say it had been shipped.

Then things changed. On Saturday I then received a green padded envelope in the post. I wondered what it was and when I opened it there was a new Pi Zero W in it.. But as I had ordered a kit with cables and SD card and PSU etc., where were the rest of the parts.

I was now not at all pleased and was really annoyed. How on earth did this happen? I do not expect to pay over £30 for a Pi Zero W.

How to get in touch with them to complain. I posted an email and got a couple of responses referencing a ticket number from some robotic reply system I expect, however, I wanted to phone them to speak to someone in person. However, how do I find there phone number. Why don't they show a phone number on there web site. Do they have so many problems the phone line would just be jammed up or would all the staff be occupied answering the phone and not be able to get on fulfilling orders.

Now just waiting for some response to find out what is happening, but how long that is going to be I have no idea.

A not very happy customer of ThePiHut.

MrEngman
Last edited by MrEngman on Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

W. H. Heydt

Re: Thepihut screwed up my order

Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:30 pm

1. You have your order date (obviously) wrong.

2. There is no one on the Forums that can help you with this unless someone from Pi Hut happens to see it.

3. Contacting most small mail order businesses on a weekend is unlikely to get an immediate response. What's more, over this *particular* weekend, it's rather likely that anyone from Pi Hut would at the Birthday Bash making it even less likely that they'd be where they could see, let alone answer, your complaint.

Advice: Give them a couple of days to sort it out before giving them a bad review here.

MrEngman

Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:35 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:1. You have your order date (obviously) wrong.
Thank you, fixed.

MrEngman

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

RaTTuS

Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:47 pm

How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

tpylkko

Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:18 pm

They got two of my (separate) orders wrong in a similar way. I left a note about it in a review (nothing inflamed or angry) but they didn't post the review nor reply. So, not surprised. To be fair, they have a lot of orders and there are going to be mistakes. But all the reviews on their page are positive, they clearly suppress negative reviews. I think that's kind of unprofessional, or something. Furthermore, I haven't had such problems with other suppliers.

solar3000

Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:28 pm

Why those evil....

There-there my nummy muffin coocol butter.

Here you go:
https://thepihut.com/pages/company-info
Antikythera

k-pi

Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:32 pm

Just to square the circle - I ordered my first Pi from them, a Pi3 kit & a couple of other bits, which arrived promptly. 8-)

Plus, there seems to be some 'cult' surrounding Pi Zeros - which I just don't get. :?

solar3000

Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:40 pm

k-pi wrote:Just to square the circle - I ordered my first Pi from them, a Pi3 kit & a couple of other bits, which arrived promptly. 8-)

Plus, there seems to be some 'cult' surrounding Pi Zeros - which I just don't get. :?
Yeah, I would assume they'd be drowning in pi zero w orders. I got my first one Sat. at micro center and the place was mobbed with geeks buying out their zero Ws.
Antikythera

MrEngman

Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:41 pm

solar3000 wrote:Why those evil....

There-there my nummy muffin coocol butter.

Here you go:
https://thepihut.com/pages/company-info
And what use is that?

MrEngman

bensimmo

Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:59 pm

Search on that and you can find all sort, linkedin profiles. Doubt you'll get a private number though, but you never know.
The reason a lot of small business do not have phone numbers is they cannot cope with the phone calls, it's time consuming if it's just you and maybe a helper.
Web systems allow controlled tracked communication.
As annoying as it is for the customer.

wayne.dolesman

Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:23 pm

if you really really want to call them why dont you whois the domain? Of course its probably a mobile given the prefix and it may not even be active anymore. But really, I doubt that its going to do much given what is put in other posts.

You might actually get more out of https://www.facebook.com/The.Pi.Hut/

wayne.dolesman

Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:26 pm

bensimmo wrote:The reason a lot of small business do not have phone numbers is they cannot cope with the phone calls, it's time consuming if it's just you and maybe a helper.
And it costs more, you have to have people paid to sit there and answer the phones. Their salaries, the floorspace they consume, electricity for their computers, etc all costs and gets added to the product price. If you have a busy shipping department its not usually quiet enough to answer phone calls as a partial job duty.

Heater

Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:30 pm

wayne.dolesman,
You might actually get more out of https://www.facebook.com/The.Pi.Hut/
That is perhaps true.

Though it horrifies me that in order to deal with people you have to sign up with Facebook or any other such service.

recantha2

Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:49 pm

Have you used their online support ticket system? If you haven't, I suggest you do. Most online sales companies nowadays respond quicker to these ticketing systems than they do to phone calls anyway. In any case, you've tried to get in contact with a 9-5pm company over a weekend, I'm not surprised you didn't get a response straight away. Posting to a public forum on the afternoon of when they _could_ have replied is hardly playing fair!
--
Michael Horne - @recantha
Raspberry Pi blog - http://www.recantha.co.uk/blog

Cambridge Raspberry Jam
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/cambridgeraspberryjam
Follow the Cambridge Raspberry Jam on Twitter - @cambridgejam

gregeric

Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:11 pm

I imagine they're completely exhausted, what with getting all the Zero W orders out, then two days of Pi Party at the weekend.

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:48 pm

There are two pertinent facts here, which you may not know so I will not condemn you for it :lol:

1) They shipped more than 17,000 orders last week, which isn't bad for an outfit of 7 people
2) The suport staff don't work week-ends and the Guvnor had the stall next to me at the Pi Party all weekend

You'll probably get an answer soon. Don't fret - they'll make it good. Jamie is a thoroughly decent bloke and a good friend of mine. When you shift that sort of volume, mistakes will happen. They'll sort it out. :D

Please come back and tell us when they have - it's surprising how quick people are to cry foul and how slow they are to give praise when things are sorted out.

MrEngman wrote:Placed an order with ThePiHut early on Thursday, 02 Mar, for a Raspberry Pi Zero W - Zero W Mega Kit (UK PSU) and was surprised and rather pleased to get an email later in the day to say it had been shipped.

Then things changed. On Saturday I then received a green padded envelope in the post. I wondered what it was and when I opened it there was a new Pi Zero W in it.. But as I had ordered a kit with cables and SD card and PSU etc., where were the rest of the parts.

I was now not at all pleased and was really annoyed. How on earth did this happen? I do not expect to pay over £30 for a Pi Zero W.

How to get in touch with them to complain. I posted an email and got a couple of responses referencing a ticket number from some robotic reply system I expect, however, I wanted to phone them to speak to someone in person. However, how do I find there phone number. Why don't they show a phone number on there web site. Do they have so many problems the phone line would just be jammed up or would all the staff be occupied answering the phone and not be able to get on fulfilling orders.

Now just waiting for some response to find out what is happening, but how long that is going to be I have no idea.

A not very happy customer of ThePiHut.

MrEngman
Alex Eames RasPi.TV, RasP.iO

MrEngman

Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:14 pm

alexeames wrote:There are two pertinent facts here, which you may not know so I will not condemn you for it :lol:

1) They shipped more than 17,000 orders last week, which isn't bad for an outfit of 7 people
2) The suport staff don't work week-ends and the Guvnor had the stall next to me at the Pi Party all weekend

You'll probably get an answer soon. Don't fret - they'll make it good. Jamie is a thoroughly decent bloke and a good friend of mine. When you shift that sort of volume, mistakes will happen. They'll sort it out. :D

Please come back and tell us when they have - it's surprising how quick people are to cry foul and how slow they are to give praise when things are sorted out.
I did have an email about an hour ago asking for a photo of what I received which I replied to and another a few minutes ago saying they will be looking into the problem, so, so far the response has been good. Feeling better.

MrEngman

MrEngman

Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:56 pm

MrEngman wrote:
alexeames wrote:There are two pertinent facts here, which you may not know so I will not condemn you for it :lol:

I did have an email about an hour ago asking for a photo of what I received which I replied to and another a few minutes ago saying they will be looking into the problem, so, so far the response has been good. Feeling better.

MrEngman
Just to let you know it looks as though everything is sorted out. Got an email from Jamie at ThePiHut saying the items that were missing will be shipped out in the morning. Must say I'm very impressed by the rapid response and so I think I need to apologize to ThePiHut for the fuss.

Apologies to ThePiHut and thanks to Danny and Jamie for sorting this out so quickly.

MrEngman

W. H. Heydt

Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:23 pm

I'd suggest that you ask the mods to add a "[solved]" tag to the thread subject.

MrEngman

Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:25 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:I'd suggest that you ask the mods to add a "[solved]" tag to the thread subject.
No need, did it myself.

MrEngman

CarlRJ

Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:43 pm

tpylkko wrote:They got two of my (separate) orders wrong in a similar way. I left a note about it in a review (nothing inflamed or angry) but they didn't post the review nor reply. So, not surprised. To be fair, they have a lot of orders and there are going to be mistakes. But all the reviews on their page are positive, they clearly suppress negative reviews. I think that's kind of unprofessional, or something. Furthermore, I haven't had such problems with other suppliers.
Leaving a complaint in a review isn't a review, is it? Reviews should be entirely about the qualities of the product (or lack thereof), and its suitability for the advertised purpose, otherwise they are not useful to other potential customers, which is the whole point of reviews. I'm glad they didn't post your review-that-wasn't-a-review, it was the right thing for them to do. And from this you surmise that "they clearly suppress negative reviews"? It'd be nice if they used your "review" submission as a hint to follow up with you, but the proper path is through email or their support system - you were likely getting to the webmaster, not the order handling / shipping people - If I tell the post office that my house is on fire, it's not really the fire department's fault if they don't get the message.

FWIW, I've had 5 orders from ThePiHut over the last 3 years, and everything showed up precisely as expected (assuming the Zero W I ordered the other day arrives this week).

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Thepihut screwed up my order (SOLVED)

Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:17 pm

Was going to delete this thread, I don't like company bashing without good reason, and criticising for not working weekends is not a good reason. No good comes of it.

However, the issue appears to have been fixed, so will leave this up. But closing.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

Return to “General discussion”