acer
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:33 pm

Android Things community support

Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:03 am

I saw a few YouTube videos about Android Things, which seemed to be pretty cool, so I tried it on my Raspberry Pi 3. I was impressed, especially how I could run conventional Android apps like Spotify. I'm excited to be doing more with it in the coming months.

I'm, however, surprised by the lack of support from the Raspberry Pi Foundation - there's no mention of it on the blog, neither is there a download link on the downloads page.

Any reason for this lack of support? Surely Android Things something that ought to be supported. I see many applications for this sort of thing (see what I did there? Android Things? Sort of "thing"? Ok, it's not that funny) - kiosks, people making their own RPi Android tablets, home automation with integrated touchscreen, etc.

EDIT: If you're interested in getting Android Things on your Pi, see https://developer.android.com/things/ha ... rrypi.html

W. H. Heydt
Posts: 10899
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:36 pm
Location: Vallejo, CA (US)

Re: Android Things community support

Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:44 am

Applications? I'll take your word for it. The question--as it relates to the RPF--is: In what way does it support the educational mission of the RPF?

fanoush
Posts: 480
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:37 pm

Re: Android Things community support

Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:55 am

W. H. Heydt wrote:The question--as it relates to the RPF--is: In what way does it support the educational mission of the RPF?
Well, there is a link to Windows 10 IOT core on https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/ and it has its own forum section viewforum.php?f=105 We can ask same question about it too.

And Android is at least open source unlike Windows 10. Also learning to code app for your phone seems educational to me too.
I am not suggesting they should dedicate resources to it but they should at least promote it more than Windows 10.

User avatar
bensimmo
Posts: 4175
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:02 pm
Location: East Yorkshire

Re: Android Things community support

Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:16 am

W. H. Heydt wrote:Applications? I'll take your word for it. The question--as it relates to the RPF--is: In what way does it support the educational mission of the RPF?
How it relates:
People may buy hardware, you know what that means.
People may just learn how to use, program and manipulate and make things under Android and interface with their devices, Android is a pretty well used OS, something a lot of people know how to use and find easy to use, but not do anything with other than 'apps'. It's the Windows for a large generation of up and coming people.

So children learn and adults learn how to program and use computers beyond just CVs, web browing and playing games.
I thought that was thier education goal.
Add a section, like WinIOT, but this time add a big link to the Android 'talk' pages as should the Win10 IOT.

For a start, it's more relevant to this world that RISC OS.

User avatar
DougieLawson
Posts: 36159
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:19 pm
Location: Basingstoke, UK
Contact: Website Twitter

Re: Android Things community support

Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:37 am

Since it has its own forum elsewhere then all discussion should be directed over there. Keep everything in one place.

The same is true for Win10IoT which has a much better forum on Microsoft.com's hosted servers. I've never understood why that deserved its own sub-forum (which is now mostly dormant) on here.

It's also true for Retropie, Kodi, LibreELEC, OSMC, OpenELEC (dec'd), Ubuntu Snap, Docker and a whole bunch of other things.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

User avatar
bensimmo
Posts: 4175
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:02 pm
Location: East Yorkshire

Re: Android Things community support

Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:24 am

This current forum just needs the RPi folks to spend a day or two tidying it up, things have changed since I joined here, let alone since it started.

There are too many area, a lot overlapping.
A PiStore section that should be hidden now is the first I can see on an overview.
All the one you list should all have subforum section, but clicking them should redirect you (if you don't have them, people will just post in other places, they will anyway but at least it's easy to guide them)

Old stickies should be checked and cleaned up and brought up to date, archive to an archive area if needed.


Hopefully they find the time between other things to get their support section up to date, as they do their hardware and Raspian. Maybe more people or beginners or educators would use it.

User avatar
DougieLawson
Posts: 36159
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:19 pm
Location: Basingstoke, UK
Contact: Website Twitter

Re: Android Things community support

Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:28 am

Don't hold your breath waiting. They've been promising a forum revamp/clean up for more than two years. The PiStore has been dead since January 2015 and its sub-forum is still there and still gets junk posted in it.

The easiest way to fix the stickies is just unstick them all. There's only about three that are in any way useful
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=58151
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=93963
viewtopic.php?f=91&t=83372
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 20748
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Delightful Dorset

Re: Android Things community support

Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:32 pm

acer wrote:I saw a few YouTube videos about Android Things, which seemed to be pretty cool, so I tried it on my Raspberry Pi 3. I was impressed, especially how I could run conventional Android apps like Spotify. I'm excited to be doing more with it in the coming months.

I'm, however, surprised by the lack of support from the Raspberry Pi Foundation - there's no mention of it on the blog, neither is there a download link on the downloads page.

Any reason for this lack of support? Surely Android Things something that ought to be supported. I see many applications for this sort of thing (see what I did there? Android Things? Sort of "thing"? Ok, it's not that funny) - kiosks, people making their own RPi Android tablets, home automation with integrated touchscreen, etc.

EDIT: If you're interested in getting Android Things on your Pi, see https://developer.android.com/things/ha ... rrypi.html

Android Things only supports the Raspberry Pi 3B, likewise Windows 10 IoT Core only supports the 2B & 3B

Therefore is it ideal for the RPF to support either when these developers cherry pick what models they support ?

"IoT" can be achieved equally well, well actually better, because of the great support network using Raspbian Jessie on all RPi's & CM's, and after all Android is based of Linux :shock: :
Retired disgracefully.....

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 23688
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: Android Things community support

Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:39 pm

bensimmo wrote:This current forum just needs the RPi folks to spend a day or two tidying it up, things have changed since I joined here, let alone since it started.
A day or two?

There are weeks of work required for a tidy up. Still, once I finish tidying up the documentation pull requests and issues (2 or more years of backlog!)) the forum might be next.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

User avatar
bensimmo
Posts: 4175
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:02 pm
Location: East Yorkshire

Re: Android Things community support

Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:40 pm

I missed off the every now and again. Basically regular house keeping.
Why not pass it on to some moderators to do?
Leaving you to just edit the sections?

hippy
Posts: 5964
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:34 pm
Location: UK

Re: Android Things community support

Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:24 pm

acer wrote:I'm, however, surprised by the lack of support from the Raspberry Pi Foundation - there's no mention of it on the blog, neither is there a download link on the downloads page.
It was disappointing but hardly surprising given the lack of enthusiasm for Android shown by the Foundation and forum members here.

As to why; I really have no idea seeing as the Foundation seemed to be positively enthused about Android on a Pi at one time - https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/android-4-0-is-coming

And there was a fair bit of excitement when Liz spotted that Google had put the Pi in the Brillo tree, which is what Android Things evolved from - viewtopic.php?t=149412&p=982519

But despite that, almost anything related to Android now seems to get punted off to the locked Android forum and posters told to go elsewhere if they have an interest in Android. It really does seem that "Android" is a dirty word and really isn't welcomed here; discussion or mention of it is often met with a degree of hostility from some.

I can appreciate Android Things is currently a developer preview but from the lack of official announcement or any acknowledgement of it from the Foundation one would think it never existed. A far cry from the enthusiastic announcements of the Pi supporting "Windows 10".

hippy
Posts: 5964
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:34 pm
Location: UK

Re: Android Things community support

Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:47 pm

acer wrote:EDIT: If you're interested in getting Android Things on your Pi, see https://developer.android.com/things/ha ... rrypi.html
I also posted some details on how to use MIT App Inventor 2 to create programs which run under Android Things on a Pi -

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=169362

App Inventor 2 is used by schools to teach programming to students and allows those students to create and run their apps on Android devices. Android definitely does have educational merit despite some claiming otherwise.

I would go as far as saying Android has far more educational merit than some of the things which the Foundation and community embraces.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 23688
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: Android Things community support

Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:24 pm

hippy wrote:
acer wrote:I'm, however, surprised by the lack of support from the Raspberry Pi Foundation - there's no mention of it on the blog, neither is there a download link on the downloads page.
It was disappointing but hardly surprising given the lack of enthusiasm for Android shown by the Foundation and forum members here.

As to why; I really have no idea seeing as the Foundation seemed to be positively enthused about Android on a Pi at one time - https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/android-4-0-is-coming

And there was a fair bit of excitement when Liz spotted that Google had put the Pi in the Brillo tree, which is what Android Things evolved from - viewtopic.php?t=149412&p=982519

But despite that, almost anything related to Android now seems to get punted off to the locked Android forum and posters told to go elsewhere if they have an interest in Android. It really does seem that "Android" is a dirty word and really isn't welcomed here; discussion or mention of it is often met with a degree of hostility from some.

I can appreciate Android Things is currently a developer preview but from the lack of official announcement or any acknowledgement of it from the Foundation one would think it never existed. A far cry from the enthusiastic announcements of the Pi supporting "Windows 10".
We have nothing at all to do with Android, really, absolutely nothing. So getting enthusiastic about something that really has nothing to do with us seems odd...

A long time ago there was a possibility of Android, but that died years ago.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 20748
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Delightful Dorset

Re: Android Things community support

Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:38 pm

There appears to be confusion in this post Android OS & Android Things are differing products.


Android Operating System is designed for Consumer Devices and has no benefit over Raspbian Jessie when considered in terms of what the Aims of he RPF Charity..


Android Things is an IoT Platform ( which uses Android 7 code basr ) similar to what Microsoft offer..


Therefore they should be treated as differing OSes....
Retired disgracefully.....

hippy
Posts: 5964
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:34 pm
Location: UK

Re: Android Things community support

Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:22 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:There appears to be confusion in this post Android OS & Android Things are differing products.
They are not that different in practice. Android Things is basically a trimmed-down Android.

Android Things allows any Android app which can run on a mobile phone, tablet or Android TV/PC to run on a Pi, except that it doesn't offer the full API support which stock Android offers. The things which are missing are not things a student, hobbyist or non-commerical developer would need or want to use. API support is however extended to allow for better hardware integration.

An Android developer can churn-out apps for Android Things as easily as they can for a phone, tablet or TV/PC, will use the same tools to do that. And the .apk of those apps will run on a phone, a tablet, a PC/TV and Android Things. Load an app on a Pi running Android Things and stick a user in front of it and they would not know that it wasn't stock Android. That app will look the same, behave the same, except for a few very minor differences.

The most notable difference at present being that on the Pi that app will be appreciably slower than when run on a Jellybean phone using a Pi 1 comparable CPU and half the memory of a Pi 3B. Hopefully that will improve over time.

Android Things is far closer to Android than Windows 10 IoT is to Windows 10. Is more comparable to PIXEL locked-down to run a native app on startup. Android Things is pretty much Android in kiosk mode.

Sugandha123
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:04 am

Re: Android Things community support

Thu May 02, 2019 1:17 pm

Android Things Base Image using OTA got stuck at boot page.

We are using Raspberry Pi 3 Model B and 64 gb SD card with flash image of latest android things version and even without OTA.
When I flash image file, it works 5 to 7 days and after that get stuck to boot page only.

Can you please let me know why this happened and what changes do I need to do so that It will work with or without OTA version.

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 20748
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Delightful Dorset

Re: Android Things community support

Thu May 02, 2019 1:26 pm

Sugandha123 wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 1:17 pm
Android Things Base Image using OTA got stuck at boot page.

We are using Raspberry Pi 3 Model B and 64 gb SD card with flash image of latest android things version and even without OTA.
When I flash image file, it works 5 to 7 days and after that get stuck to boot page only.

Can you please let me know why this happened and what changes do I need to do so that It will work with or without OTA version.

Probably best to ask the Software Developers for help:

https://developer.android.com/things/get-started
Retired disgracefully.....

Return to “General discussion”