adlerfromsc

Re: GUIDE: Netflix on a Pi2 or Pi3

Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:01 pm

OK, Thank you very much for answers. So I thought I could not to play 1080p netflix (even 720p is not acceptable to me). I'll try omxplayerGUI to see if it helps with youtube.
Once again thanks and best regards!

angelcs

Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:09 pm

fourvees wrote:Hi kusti8,

Can you please confirm if your deb package with the widevine drivers works as of today?

Today, I tried your deb package on my raspberry pi 2, but I get the following error from Netflix

Error Msg : 'Unable to send the Widevine license request'
Error code : M7121-1331-P7

I ran my chromium-browser with a clean user-data-dir with no extensions. I am running Retropie/Jessie/Pixel setup on my Pi2.

I tested my chromium-browser with shaka player (https://shaka-player-demo.appspot.com) and can confirm that widevine CDM content plays. It is only with Netflix, I am unable to get it fixed.

Can you please confirm, if there is a need to change the User-agent string for this package. I tried changing the user-agent string but in vein.

I am trying to access Netflix from India, but can confirm that Netflix works on my FF 53 (windows) from here.

Also, I read in some forums that now Netflix uses widevine for both decoding and decryption. Also, there is a kodi 18 Netflix plugin that seems to support doing both. I am still to take the kodi 18 route as it is bleeding alpha.

Please kindly provide your suggestions.

Thanks and Regards,
This works for me resolving error code M7121-1331-P7: https://github.com/TechWizTime/chromium-build
Regards

kusti8

Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:22 pm

angelcs wrote:
fourvees wrote:Hi kusti8,

Can you please confirm if your deb package with the widevine drivers works as of today?

Today, I tried your deb package on my raspberry pi 2, but I get the following error from Netflix

Error Msg : 'Unable to send the Widevine license request'
Error code : M7121-1331-P7

I ran my chromium-browser with a clean user-data-dir with no extensions. I am running Retropie/Jessie/Pixel setup on my Pi2.

I tested my chromium-browser with shaka player (https://shaka-player-demo.appspot.com) and can confirm that widevine CDM content plays. It is only with Netflix, I am unable to get it fixed.

Can you please confirm, if there is a need to change the User-agent string for this package. I tried changing the user-agent string but in vein.

I am trying to access Netflix from India, but can confirm that Netflix works on my FF 53 (windows) from here.

Also, I read in some forums that now Netflix uses widevine for both decoding and decryption. Also, there is a kodi 18 Netflix plugin that seems to support doing both. I am still to take the kodi 18 route as it is bleeding alpha.

Please kindly provide your suggestions.

Thanks and Regards,
This works for me resolving error code M7121-1331-P7: https://github.com/TechWizTime/chromium-build
Regards
That's the same exact thing as I've specified above. Nothing different. All you need is to reboot a couple of times.
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

Edmor

Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:22 pm

Hi,

Now in Raspbian with Debian Stretch 9, if I upgrade to Chromium 60 Netflix stop to work because the Widevine is not present.

Any chances of a new compilation?

For now I'm hold further upgrades:

sudo apt-mark hold chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-extra chromium-browser chromium-browser-l10n

Thanks,

jojo11

Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:34 pm

Is there any way to get it to work with chromium 60, under raspbian Stretch? If I clone chromium 60 and apply v60.0.3112.89_mmal_2.10.patch from following repo:
https://github.com/raspberrypi-ui/chromium_patches

What else should I do to include widevine and package it to work for Netflix?

Thanks in advance :-)

escaner

Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:44 am

I have successfully installed Chromium 56 with Widevine/Netflix support as per kusti8's guide on my Pi 3 with the latest version of Raspbian. It is playing, but the visual quality is very bad and I only get about 10-15fps, not related to the resolution that the player is reporting with Ctrl-Shift-Alt-D (480p, 720p, 1080p, always same quality and bad refresh).
I have tried to increase the GPU memory from default 64 to 128 and 256 (rebooting, of course) and it is just the same.

Is that it with this method?
With LibreElec alpha (Kodi 18) I successfully play Netflix at 720p with OK quality and fps (1080p is higher visual quality, but like 5fps), so not sure if I am missing something here with Raspbian/Chromium.

Thank you!

Scutz

Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:03 pm

As far as I can see, there is no chance on getting a newer Chromium Version above 56 to run with widevine. Is there any other chance on boosting the performance on other sides, to get a lagfree experience. I am using a Raspi 3 Model B, overclocked it and forced hardware acceleration on chromium, it nearly runs smooth now but it seems there is missing 1 little tick to bring it to a full experience. I tried getting a firefox version to run, but it instantly crashes or with the esr build is not working with netflix too.
Is there anything I can do with the process niceness to bring it the last bit to work smooth? Or any other suggestion?

moh86

Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:30 pm

Hi, I followed your instruction but now I get an error when starting Netflix-Launcher/Chromium. I use a rpi3 + raspian stretch. What can I do?

The error message looks like this one:

Leonek_bezogonek

Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:47 am

What about 5.1 audio support? As far I know to the Netflix app is required to enjoy surround audio. Through web browser you've only 2.0

Beorn_Bear

Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:05 am

I am attempting to install netflix in a new Raspberry Pi 3 B+. I followed the guidelines above. However, with the updated Chromium, I am unable to install netflix. Does anyone have any reccommendations?

escaner

Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:25 am

Beorn_Bear wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:05 am
I am attempting to install netflix in a new Raspberry Pi 3 B+. I followed the guidelines above. However, with the updated Chromium, I am unable to install netflix. Does anyone have any reccommendations?
My recommendation is to forget about Netflix on a browser in the Pi it is very disappointing. Get a Libreelec nightly with Kodi 18 and install there Netflix support. This way you can perfectly watch it at 720p 99% of the stream on a Pi 3 B (still a bit of stuttering in very demanding action scenes due to only using 2 cores). If you want watchable 1080p, look for another hardware. That is my experience.

adnauseam

Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:11 pm

kusti8 wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:49 am
Hello. I've finally gotten around to compiling Chromium with widevine support, which means Netflix support. I've made a package which includes all the files necessary, using some portions from thatguruguy's initial package.

Code: Select all

wget https://github.com/kusti8/chromium-build/releases/download/netflix-1.0.0/chromium-browser_56.0.2924.84-0ubuntu0.14.04.1.1011.deb
sudo dpkg -i chromium-browser_56.0.2924.84-0ubuntu0.14.04.1.1011.deb
That's it. You'll find the launcher in Internet, called Netflix-Launcher.

kusti8
Thanks so much! This worked recently with my Raspberry Pi 3b+.

Although I notice Netflix performance is horrible. I've since overclocked it and turned down the resolution to 720p with minor improvements.

After all the fuss to get an RPI, tried a bunch of ways to get netflix working and finally found this solution I'm going to look for either a Chromecast or other alternatives to run Netflix. I don't desire to watch it with flickering, lagging video when moving the mouse, and more.

Arg!

Have fun but remember the RPi really sucks for Netflix.

Return to “General discussion”