kusti8

Re: GUIDE: Netflix on a Pi2 or Pi3

Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:44 pm

Netflix doesn't use HW acceleration, it uses software so its dependent on CPU speed.
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

pabloabc

Re: GUIDE: Netflix on a Pi2 or Pi3 - quality can be improve

Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:40 pm

Hi kusti8! Hi to All !

I'm new here and this is my first post...

Important things go first.

Excelent work to watch Netflix in the pi, kusti8 !!

I've installed your Netflix package and everything works as expected...
Now I can watch Netflix movies on my raspberry pi 2, but as you already said, there is some delay maybe because of the lack of power processor of the pi 2 and also because Netflix don't use hardware acceleration... (I didn't know that about Netflix...) and the image quality is acceptable but not as good as it can be compared to the one obtained with Kodi ( this will become clear in the following paragraph).

My raspberry pi 2 has a plain raspbian Pixel Jessie as OS and among other apps I've installed Kodi v17 krypton RC (the last version nowaday) as a program inside raspbian...
So with Kodi and the Exodus addon I can watch TV series and movies there too, and I even watch Live online channels from the SimpleClient PVR addon all of that in my Raspberry pi 2... and quality and speed are wonderful in my 42'' Hisense TV screen using Kodi...
In kodi settings it is possible to enable hardware acceleration using OMXPlayer and/or MMAL as one can read in the Kodi options settings
I don't make use of those hardware acceleration options because I disable both of them...
Even in that situation watching TV series or movies are fluid and image is excelent if the source has good resolution...

After such a big introduction , my question may seem obvious now...
Is it possible to obtain that wonderful quality with your Netflix package ?
I don't understand why there is such a different result even though neither of them uses harware acceleration...

Thank you for any clue that can explain the mistery...

Please excuse my English as that is not my first language...

Bye for now.

kusti8

Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:23 pm

It's because Kodi is heavily optimized for software rendering and is made for showing video. This uses a closed source implementation where the resulting picture after it is rendered has to be copied to the Chromium window and generally requires more work. It also must decrypt the video since Netflix uses DRM. There isn't much you can do.

juan.biondi

Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:51 pm

Hi! I have the same issue! I have a rpi 2 with debian jessie and i have managed to get chromium with netflix to work but the rendering quality is horribly slow... i'm sure that it's due to chromium is not using the GPU.
I have tried with android and the netflix app but it runs horrible too...

Someone is creating a plugin for kodi https://github.com/asciidisco/plugin.video.netflix (it's pretty new) but it's for kodi 18. It's suposed that this uses the kodi renderer to play netflix but is not compatible with rpi2...
Have someone tried to modify this and get it to work in rpi2?

Cheers!

eusobao

Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:23 am

I am having a issue, to update the widevinecdm, i'd follow the instructions and i do not found the component.
How I fix this?

eusobao

Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:17 pm

Where I download and how I install?
Sorry i am noob in raspberry world.

kusti8

Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:45 pm

eusobao wrote:Where I download and how I install?
Sorry i am noob in raspberry world.
Run the commands in the codebox exactly as written in the terminal.

jmsfeir

Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:14 pm

Hi,
Thanks a lot Kusti8 for this wonderful package. I'm not using it for Netflix; but for MyCanal, a French TV App that had the same problems. Tested on Raspbian Jessie and Ubuntu Mate on a Pi 3, it works, but the image is choppy due to the GPU poor performances, like many other described...

I've tested yesterday a new OS called Flint OS, the video quality seems better on this OS, but I couldn't run your command lines. Flint OS is a chrome OS like, and you're in read-only mode in the console... So I couldn't install your package.

Did anyone have a chance to look at this OS and install Kusti8's package? Or made it work on another OS with good GPU performance?
Thanks

Edmor

Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:41 pm

Works well in Raspberry PI3 Model B, the video quality is far from Libreelec but unless works now.

If you have the time to push further and bring OMXPlayer in full screen mode, this will be great.

Thanks for this remarkable job.

Congratulations from Brazil!

drlyonz

Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:26 am

Working as advertised!
Using it on a Pi3 with Pixel on top of the Retropie image.
(indeed a little choppy but great nonetheless)

Thank you very much from Argentina Kusti8.

danportr

Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:55 am

dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of chromium-browser:
chromium-browser depends on libxcb-image0; however:
Package libxcb-image0 is not installed.

dpkg: error processing package chromium-browser (--install):
dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Processing triggers for hicolor-icon-theme (0.13-1) ...
Processing triggers for man-db (2.7.0.2-5) ...
Processing triggers for gnome-menus (3.13.3-6) ...
Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils (0.22-1) ...
Processing triggers for mime-support (3.58) ...
Errors were encountered while processing:
chromium-browser

help?

kusti8

Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:04 am

danportr wrote:dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of chromium-browser:
chromium-browser depends on libxcb-image0; however:
Package libxcb-image0 is not installed.

dpkg: error processing package chromium-browser (--install):
dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Processing triggers for hicolor-icon-theme (0.13-1) ...
Processing triggers for man-db (2.7.0.2-5) ...
Processing triggers for gnome-menus (3.13.3-6) ...
Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils (0.22-1) ...
Processing triggers for mime-support (3.58) ...
Errors were encountered while processing:
chromium-browser

help?
It tells you exactly what to do. Install libxcb-image0

rodoubleby

Fri May 12, 2017 1:01 pm

Thank You kusti8! Works great for me!

moelarrycheese

Sun May 21, 2017 4:31 pm

Much appreciated. Ran Netflix last nite in the Raspbian GUI, entered my subscription login informatiion and it worked great. Thank you again!

fourvees

Sun May 28, 2017 7:17 am

Hi kusti8,

Can you please confirm if your deb package with the widevine drivers works as of today?

Today, I tried your deb package on my raspberry pi 2, but I get the following error from Netflix

Error Msg : 'Unable to send the Widevine license request'
Error code : M7121-1331-P7

I ran my chromium-browser with a clean user-data-dir with no extensions. I am running Retropie/Jessie/Pixel setup on my Pi2.

I tested my chromium-browser with shaka player (https://shaka-player-demo.appspot.com) and can confirm that widevine CDM content plays. It is only with Netflix, I am unable to get it fixed.

Can you please confirm, if there is a need to change the User-agent string for this package. I tried changing the user-agent string but in vein.

I am trying to access Netflix from India, but can confirm that Netflix works on my FF 53 (windows) from here.

Also, I read in some forums that now Netflix uses widevine for both decoding and decryption. Also, there is a kodi 18 Netflix plugin that seems to support doing both. I am still to take the kodi 18 route as it is bleeding alpha.

Please kindly provide your suggestions.

Thanks and Regards,

fourvees

Mon May 29, 2017 7:12 am

Hi kusti8,

I have checked the logs using chrome EME logger extension and have attached the same.

I find that the Netflix cadmium player is not providing the drm info (I don't find the license URI details etc.) required for sending the license request. I feel that the issue is not with the widevine CDM, but instead something has been changed in the Netflix side making it to not work. I also feel that the Netflix player is downloading a different version of the widevine plugin before it is playing.

Please kindly provide your comments.

Thanks and Regards,
Attachments
Log.tar.gz
Logs from Netflix and Shaka HTML5 player
(8.97 KiB) Downloaded 36 times

TERoussy

Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:39 am

I did all the installation and looks like everything install OK without errors, but when I run the Netflix-Launcher and try to see a movie give the error:
Whoops, something went wrong...
Streaming error
Unable to send the Widevine license request.
Error code: M7121-1331-P7.

Thank you

kusti8

Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:01 pm

fourvees wrote:Hi kusti8,

I have checked the logs using chrome EME logger extension and have attached the same.

I find that the Netflix cadmium player is not providing the drm info (I don't find the license URI details etc.) required for sending the license request. I feel that the issue is not with the widevine CDM, but instead something has been changed in the Netflix side making it to not work. I also feel that the Netflix player is downloading a different version of the widevine plugin before it is playing.

Please kindly provide your comments.

Thanks and Regards,
I just tried it and it worked perfectly. Try using a fresh Raspbian image.

Mr.MarioBranco

Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:47 am

Today, I tried your deb package on my raspberry pi 3, but I get the following error from Netflix

Error Msg : 'Unable to send the Widevine license request'
Error code : M7121-1331-P7

Work great 2 days ago, but now don't work.

How can i "unistall" the .deb package and try to install one more time ?

TERoussy

Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:13 pm

After I did a restar of the Raspberry Netflix start working. It is fine now. Thank you :D

RonanB

Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:00 pm

Has anyone tried to using the selenium and chromedriver with this chromium? I downloaded the driver from here [https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/trusty/ar ... 6-0ubuntu2

debslosingit

Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:43 am

I followed the installation in the first post and at at the end, it said something about a configuration error. Tried to launch both the Netflix Launcher and plain old Chromium and nothing.

Attempted to uninstall Chromium to reinstall it, and it said it was not installed on my Pi2. Reinstalled Chromium. Rebooted.

Launched Chromium, and this time it came up. Closed it and launched Netflix Launcher, and it opened up in Chromium.

Signed into Netflix and attempted to play something and got the Uh-oh error. Refreshed. Same error. Rebooted the Pi and this time it all works fine.

Frame rate is noticeably low, but I'm not that picky about my cheap entertainment. If something I typed here doesn't make sense, I'm sorry. I'm still feeling out the way the OS works and sometimes its not completely clear to me. Anyway, took some tinkering, but yay! it works! I don't need to dig out my Wii just to watch Netflix!

adlerfromsc

Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:14 pm

Hi all!
First of all I have raspberry Pi 3. I think I'll tried almost all configuration of GPU memory split (64,128,256).
Pi & OS is upgraded.
I don't have any video license keys. I have the 3.0A power supply (I check any tips/clues for playing chrome videos).
I have c.a 60-70 Mbps DL ~ 15 ms ping LAN, I try WiFi too.
RPi CPU is working on 70-80 %.
I even try to clean and install again version of chrome (from TechWizTips tips) https://github.com/TechWizTime/chromium-build
I even pickup the new raspbian jessie reinstall it..

And after all I have some questions:
1. Is Netflix running smoothly on Yours rpi's in 1080p and 720p because my have got some little freezes(really - watching 1080p movies is imposible).
2. I have the same problem with YouTube and other streaming source on chrome 720p /1080p.

I try to turn off ad-block, close all others apps. Nothing works.

Please help!

gkreidl

Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:19 am

adlerfromsc wrote:...

1. Is Netflix running smoothly on Yours rpi's in 1080p and 720p because my have got some little freezes(really - watching 1080p movies is imposible).
2. I have the same problem with YouTube and other streaming source on chrome 720p /1080p.

Please help!
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=176020&p=1122953#p1122953
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

kusti8

Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:09 am

adlerfromsc wrote:Hi all!
First of all I have raspberry Pi 3. I think I'll tried almost all configuration of GPU memory split (64,128,256).
Pi & OS is upgraded.
I don't have any video license keys. I have the 3.0A power supply (I check any tips/clues for playing chrome videos).
I have c.a 60-70 Mbps DL ~ 15 ms ping LAN, I try WiFi too.
RPi CPU is working on 70-80 %.
I even try to clean and install again version of chrome (from TechWizTips tips) https://github.com/TechWizTime/chromium-build
I even pickup the new raspbian jessie reinstall it..

Please help!
Netflix only uses the CPU and there are some stutters. You should not expect to play 1080p movies on it.

YouTube should work pretty well at 720p, but there will be small stutters depending on what stuff you have open. To allow for accelerated video, you must have the latest Jessie install with h264ify installed as an extension. If you want true playback, then you must use omxplayerGUI. The browser works well, but it can never work that well.

Return to “General discussion”