Sparks135

New need purchase info

Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:51 pm

I would like to build a Pi 3 model B based kitchen control center. I would like to run a Browser that will handle ActionTiles home automation dashboard, which I run on my Mac in either Safari or Chrome. I also want to run VLC Remote, and some sort of recipe program.

Now my Hardware wants.

1. 7" touch Screen
2. Case to hold screen and Pi 3 boards needed for this project.
3. Power supply
4. Card with OS installed

Not sure what else I need and would like your input on what equipment to buy and where to buy in USA. Name brands with good track record important to me. Finished product will be in my kitchen, so my wife has to approve of looks. So finished product must look good. Thanks.

jsfrederick

Re: New need purchase info

Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:55 am

Google is your friend.

I've used MCM Electronics and Allied Electronics as well as Element 14.

Also look at Adafruit, the seem to be a well know reseller of all things Pi. I've never used them.

W. H. Heydt

Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:02 am

This is where it is useful if you include a rough location (what continent are you on?) in your publicly displayed information (see your profile for setting it).

I agree with jsfrederick. MCM is the consumer arm of Element 14 and they have everything you're looking for, including a very nice case for a B-series Pi and 7" RPF touch screen. I would recommend NOT buy a pre-loaded SD card. They tend to be out of date. Better to download a current copy of Raspbian and go from there.

Note that if any of the software you want to run is object code only and compiled to run on a x86 processor, you are far better off trying to find an open source alternative that has been compiled for the Pi and is just a "sudo apt-get install" away.

Sparks135

Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:43 am

This is where it is useful if you include a rough location (what continent are you on?) in your publicly displayed information (see your profile for setting it).
I mentioned in my OP that I live in the USA. You mentioned not buying a preloaded card, but can I make a card on my Mac? I thought I needed a Windows machine.
I've used MCM Electronics and Allied Electronics as well as Element 14.

Also look at Adafruit, the seem to be a well know reseller of all things Pi. I've never used them.
Thanks for that info, I will look into each. I didn't realize Allied Electronics is in USA.

W. H. Heydt

Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:04 am

Sparks135 wrote: I mentioned in my OP that I live in the USA. You mentioned not buying a preloaded card, but can I make a card on my Mac? I thought I needed a Windows machine.
I missed that part. To install an image using a Mac, the instructions are here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... ges/mac.md That page is a couple of links deep from the image download page.
Thanks for that info, I will look into each. I didn't realize Allied Electronics is in USA.
The main distributors (the ones that have a manufacturing license) are RS Components and Premier-Farnell, both in the UK. The US subsidiary of RS is Allied. The US subsidiary of Farnell is Newark and uses the brand "Element 14". MCM Electronics is an "associated company" of Farnell. MCM is--effectively--a consumer oriented sub while Newark is somewhat more oriented towards businesses.

Adafruit is independent and--as such--marks up most Pi items, though not excessively. Adafruit also does a lot of project tutorials and provides quite a bit of instructional material and hand holding.

In any case, the primary supply chains are RS and Farnell and anything outside of their direct influence will tend to cost more. The lone (dual?) exception is/are the Pi Zero and the just announced Pi Zero W. Those are distributed to resellers (like Adafruit and Canakit) directly by the for-profit subsidiary of the Raspberry Pi Foundation, Raspberry Pi Trading. Hence the references to RPF, RPT, and (where one isn't sure where the division line hits or just wants to reference the shebang) RPF/RPT.

Figuring all of this out is almost as bad as figuring out which model Pi you want for what purpose...

Sparks135

Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:16 pm

Thanks, that is a lot to digest. I will start research, and make my decision by the following weekend.

fruitoftheloom

Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:44 pm

Sparks135 wrote:Thanks, that is a lot to digest. I will start research, and make my decision by the following weekend.
As you were unable to find the OS X instructions on the RPF web site, try:

https://www.tweaking4all.com/software/m ... e-pi-baker
adieu

Asus CS10 Chromebit / HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer / Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1 / RealVNC Software...

Sparks135

Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:49 pm

Thanks, that helps alot. In the last few minutes I have already bookmarked all the pages I need, to purchase some of the things for my project. Do you know if it is possible to run Android on this, and does it also install from Mac?

fruitoftheloom

Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:00 pm

Sparks135 wrote:

Thanks, that helps alot. In the last few minutes I have already bookmarked all the pages I need, to purchase some of the things for my project. Do you know if it is possible to run Android on this, and does it also install from Mac?
Android is supported by a community of developers and all questions relating to various versions of Android see:

https://groups.google.com/forum/m/#!forum/android-rpi

Also see:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/magpi/android-raspberry-pi

&

http://geektillithertz.com/wordpress/in ... erry-pi-3/
adieu

Asus CS10 Chromebit / HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer / Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1 / RealVNC Software...

Sparks135

Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:35 pm

Android is supported by a community of developers and all questions relating to various versions of Android see:
Thanks for the links, one is broken, but I found the correct page and the last is for Android TV, but something to read. I would like to run the native OS, but not sure if my SmartThings Dashboard will run in the browser. Also not sure if I could find a recipe program for it.

fruitoftheloom

Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:49 pm

Sparks135 wrote:
Thanks for the links, one is broken, but I found the correct page and the last is for Android TV, but something to read. I would like to run the native OS, but not sure if my SmartThings Dashboard will run in the browser. Also not sure if I could find a recipe program for it.
Google gives various hits for SmartThings Dashboard ;)
adieu

Sparks135

Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:56 pm

Google gives various hits for SmartThings Dashboard
My research came to a screeching halt when we had a number of power on/off one minute and continued for 10. My UPS caught most, no damage, but I was installing OSX on a vintage Mac Mini, and it screwed it up. Had to erase the HD and start again. I am making a media server out of it. Shame to throw a Mac out.

Return to “General discussion”