EULERPI

Low cost USB to Ethernet adapters

Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:00 pm

Hi,

I'm working on a computer vision system for model railway train position detection (hidden sidings only) and I'm looking into an alternative set up using Pi Zeros and cameras to do a little initial image processing and passing the reduced data to a central computer.

Has anyone have experience of using low cost (in UK) USB to Ethernet adapters?.

Regards

Nick

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Low cost USB to Ethernet adapters

Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:55 pm

EULERPI wrote:Hi,
I'm working on a computer vision system for model railway train position detection (hidden sidings only) and I'm looking into an alternative set up using Pi Zeros and cameras to do a little initial image processing and passing the reduced data to a central computer.
Has anyone have experience of using low cost (in UK) USB to Ethernet adapters?.
Regards
Nick
FWIW, here are the ones** I've "played with":
http://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi ... pters.html
Trev.
** Those, not combined with a USB hub, were a "few pounds" IIRC, bought mainly through amazon
Still running Raspbian Jessie or Stretch on some older Pi's (an A, B1, 2xB2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W, 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, and a A+) but Buster on the P4B's. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

rpdom

Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:02 pm

The cheapest ones around tend to be based on the DM9601 chipset. These used to cause crashes when used with a Pi, but that has been fixed now. However they are slow because even though they support 100Mb/sec ethernet they only support USB1.1 at 12Mb/sec. That will also cause a problem when connected to some USB hubs as they will set all ports to match the lowest speed peripheral connected.

EULERPI

Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:35 pm

Many thanks for your info.

With your info I can dig deeper.

Regards

Nick

Return to “General discussion”