julyjim

Windows emulator - wine?

Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:23 pm

I would like to be able to execute Windows application on my new Raspberry PC.
Did some research on the subject only to find stale opinions about "why would you want to do that ".
I was unsuccessful using sudo apt install , both wine and virtualbox.
The error message did not really specify why , only that "package" was not available.
It is not clear if the problem is hardware or OS, but I am using wine on different flavor of linux.
Unfortunately I do not recall how I installed it, it has been awhile.
This is not big issue, I can still run my Windoze app on my "big PC ", just like to know if there is a special windows emulator to run on Raspberry Os.

W. H. Heydt

Re: Windows emulator - wine?

Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:31 pm

The problem is that all general Windows programs are compiled to run on x86 architecture. As a result, you need both a program that will simulate the Windows environment and system calls *and* a program that will simulate the x86 instruction set on an ARM processor. The result is that performance will be absolutely abysmal. You are far better off looking for an ARM Linux equivalent program. With that in mind... What Windows program(s) do you want to run?

julyjim

Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:38 pm

MMANA antenna analyzer
Well if processor hardware is the issue, I will just continue using in on Ubuntu with wine, not problem

fruitoftheloom

Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:44 pm

Thinking outside the box is better than burying your head in the sand...

Heater

Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:05 pm

The first thing you read about Wine is that "Wine Is Not an Emulator".

That is to say that it does not emulate the Intel x86 processor architecture that most Windows programs depend on. It does however provide the libraries such programs need when running on Linux machines running on x86.

So, no, Wine does not magically enable x86 Windows programs to run on the ARM based Pi. Or any non-x86 machine.

There are x86 emulations available that can run x86 Windows programs on the Pi.

I have never used them but I'm sure the performance sucks enough that I don't want to.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

julyjim

Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:04 am

Heater wrote:The first thing you read about Wine is that "Wine Is Not an Emulator".

That is to say that it does not emulate the Intel x86 processor architecture that most Windows programs depend on. It does however provide the libraries such programs need when running on Linux machines running on x86.

So, no, Wine does not magically enable x86 Windows programs to run on the ARM based Pi. Or any non-x86 machine.

I have never used them but I'm sure the performance sucks enough that I don't want to.
So basically your post does not help me to find how to run windows app on Raspberry.
In the meantime I'll try qemu.

W. H. Heydt

Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:24 am

julyjim wrote: So basically your post does not help me to find how to run windows app on Raspberry.
The best help *anyone* can give you is: Don't try to run any Windows program on a Raspberry Pi unless it pre-dates Win95. For any passably modern Windows program, the performance will be unacceptably slow. The Pi is unsuited to doing such things. The Pi is a very fine piece of equipment, but it's no panacea.

Heater

Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:23 am

julyjim,
So basically your post does not help me to find how to run windows app on Raspberry.
OK then. As far as I know the best way to run Windows apps on a Pi is by using Exagear: https://eltechs.com/product/exagear-desktop/
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:35 am

julyjim wrote:
Heater wrote:The first thing you read about Wine is that "Wine Is Not an Emulator".

No, but it does explain why you have trouble doing what you want to do. Which is something you have now learnt, which is the whole purpose of the Pi.

As other have said, Exagear Desktop might work. It's actually a X86 emulator with something like Wine running on top, IIRC, packaged up to make it easy to use.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

jahboater

Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:50 am

I would look to see if there is anything equivalent for Linux, hopefully as source.

https://radio.linux.org.au/?sectpat=antenna perhaps as a start.
Looks like some versions of NEC2 are available, for example.
or this https://radio.linux.org.au/pkgdetail.ph ... &pkgid=611

I put "antenna" into my Linux package manager and it came up with several things.

mikerr

Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:43 pm

A few years ago I ran windows98 in qemu on a pi B+ and it was ridiculously slow - several minutes to even boot.

For fun I just tried it again on a Pi 3 and was surprised how much better it runs (30 seconds to boot)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_jcBBLnJHU
[Windows 98 booting up on pi3 / qemu and running internet explorer]

Maybe even usable ?!
Still not great, but the pi is working hard emulating the intel CPU when run this way.
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

julyjim

Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:04 pm

Thanks for reply.
I did load qemu on my Ubuntu and that is as far as I got.
I need to read all the instruction how to set it up first, that I''ll try it on Pi.
As new user I was just trying different things and I really do not need to run my antenna analyzer on Pi.

runboy93

Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:08 pm

Exagear Desktop is much faster than QEMU, but then again... who really want to pay for windows apps working on RPi?

Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:54 pm

If anyone attempts to run windows on a pi, make sure you go into the control panel, system icon, advanced tab and select best performance. Other tweaks include switching off indexing and search if attempting to use Win7 or later versions. This will do things like switch the look and feel back to the windows classic look (windows 2000), switch off the swap file, which is often just a mirror of whats in memory, but will expand when ram is all used up, and stop system services that run in the background from trawling your hard drive.

As SD cards are slower than say an external USB3 SSD drive and USB3 runs faster than USB2 on a pi, but doesnt give you full USB3 speed, it might pay to try loading and running the windows OS from the external USB3 SSD drive to eek out all the speed you can.

Edit. One other point, anyone who has ever run windows OS's in virtualisation platform vmware workstation might have noticed that the virtual windows os, installs (a few minutes), boots up (about 19 seconds) and runs alot lot faster than the host windows OS can ever be installed or booted up in when interacting directly with the HW. So maybe an x86 emulator, running a virtualisation platform and then installing windows may be an option to eek out a bit more speed from windows or a virtualisation platform, running an x86 platform that then runs windows.

I cant say I have noticed the same in virtualbox running on a windows or linux host but I've not used virtualbox in anger except for some linux distro's that didnt play well in vmware.

ianken51

Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:26 am

To me one of the true benefits of the Raspberry Pi is that it don't run Windows!

I suggest that if you wish to run Windows then the RPi is NOT the tool. Why not try the Tinkerboard? It uses an Intel Atom, has 2 GB RAM and is a similar form factor. It has W10 pre-loaded but costs around $US 100. This would solve your problems.

CarlRJ

Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:42 am

ianken51 wrote:I suggest that if you wish to run Windows then the RPi is NOT the tool. Why not try the Tinkerboard? It uses an Intel Atom, has 2 GB RAM and is a similar form factor.
Very much this. If you start putting SSDs onto a Pi to eke out enough performance to sort of almost run Windows... you're doing it wrong. Use the Pi for Linux-based things, something it excels at. If you want Windows, get an actual Windows box (it needn't be large). Just because you can hammer in screws with a wrench, it doesn't mean you should.

MHerman

Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:32 am

For me, electricity cosumption.

That the one factor I try to use RPi and hope have ability to stand 24 hours 7days non-stop.
Some ppl might have their own idea, but they dont know how to solve it. Same goes to me.

So, Ur guys know how to install wine without using Exagear?? or maybe some of you want to donate the exagear apps here.
I want to install MT4 to run 24/7

rpdom

Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:31 am

As others have said, the best thing you can do is to see if you can find a Linux program that has similar functionality to your Windows app. I've been happily running Linux on my laptops and desktops for about 15 years now and don't miss anything from the Windows world. (Especially things like "Oh, you've selected shutdown, but I have a tone of updates I'm going to install. No, I don't care if you need to go out NOW, you'll have to wait until I am done downloading and installing stuff. It won't take long, just 10 minutes... 30 minutes... 2 minutes... 6 days... 30 seconds... 3000000 years..." :lol: )

fruitoftheloom

Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:35 am

Thinking outside the box is better than burying your head in the sand...

De_id10t

Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:50 am

W. H. Heydt wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:24 am
julyjim wrote: So basically your post does not help me to find how to run windows app on Raspberry.
The best help *anyone* can give you is: Don't try to run any Windows program on a Raspberry Pi unless it pre-dates Win95. For any passably modern Windows program, the performance will be unacceptably slow. The Pi is unsuited to doing such things. The Pi is a very fine piece of equipment, but it's no panacea.
I was actually looking for it so i could play some of my old win games from when I was a kid so this is good information for me it says that its possible from me to run my prehistoric (win 3.1) games on my pi :D

Return to “General discussion”