nikki_81

run pi zero for 12+ hours on battery power ?

Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:47 pm

What size (capacity) battery would i need to run a pi zero for a minimum of 12 hours. I will be using a flash drive and a wifi dongle and running a ftp server headless.

Thanks Nikki

pootle

Re: run pi zero for 12+ hours on battery power ?

Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:24 pm

I run a pi zero from a 2Ah juicecube with a couple of little servos and wifi and it runs for about 2 hours. It does rather depend on how much traffic there is and how efficient your wifi dongle is.

I have measured current draw of a pi zero with different network adaptors idling at anything from 180mA to around 400mA.

If you get a USB power meter you can find out how much power your particular setup draws.

Beware that many power banks quote capacity in mAh at their battery voltage - which may be much lower than 5v, so they will not last nearly as long as you expect if you have based capacity on current at 5v.

ejolson

Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:24 pm

nikki_81 wrote:What size (capacity) battery would i need to run a pi zero for a minimum of 12 hours. I will be using a flash drive and a wifi dongle and running a ftp server headless.

Thanks Nikki
I ran the original Pi B, which uses more power than a Zero, from six AA/R6 cells and a suitable 5V power regulator for more than 6 hours. While there was a WiFi dongle installed, that Pi transmitted very few packets during that time.

I suspect a major use of power in your setup will be for the WiFi-radio transmitter. Most likely six alkaline D/R20 cells with a suitable and efficient 5V power regulator would power the system for more than long enough. It might even run for long enough with non-alkaline D/R20 cells.

W. H. Heydt

Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:18 am

I can run a Pi Zero with a Neosec TinyLCD35 for something in excess of 12 hours on a 4Ah "powerbank".

As others have said, first get a handle on your actual power requirements. To determine how long the battery will last, convert power to Watts (5v * current for the Pi) and the battery capacity to Wh (3.7v * Ah rating). The divide the Wh of the battery by the W for the Pi and you'll have an approximate value. Try to use a battery with about 25% more sotred power than you think you'll need to account for voltage conversion and ending capacity of the battery (it is extremely undesirable to run Li Ion or LiPo batteries all the way down to no charge).

startrek.steve

Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:32 am

As an experiment in power consumption, I ran the zero with just the Edimax WiFi dongle and nothing else, it ran about 1 day on a 2000 ma battery pack. 2 days without the WiFi dongle.
Pi 2 running LibreElec Krypton, Pi 2 running Wheezy Desktop, Pi 1 headless Wheezy, downloading Radio, Pi 1 running Picore headless Media Server, Pi Zero to be an Old Time Radio Project. Pi 3 testing. Pi Zero W downloading Radio shows headless.

solar3000

Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:53 pm

pffff! easily.
With 20AH battery packs dirt cheap, just buy one that you think looks nice.
Antikythera

Return to “General discussion”