gop

RPi Zero's FCC ID missing

Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:22 pm

Hi

It's said that the RPi Zero passed FCC Part 15 "comfortably". How come there's no FCC ID printed on the board? Does it even have a FCC ID?

DougieLawson

Re: RPi Zero's FCC ID missing

Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:38 pm

It does have an FCC id.
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=raspberry+fcc+id

Why do you think equipment manufactured in UK/Europe and PRC needs to have external labelling?
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All fake doctors are on my foes list.

gop

Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:43 pm

DougieLawson wrote:It does have an FCC id.
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=raspberry+fcc+id
The RPi 3 Model B has one (2ABCB-RPI32). I can't find RPi Zero's. It's a Class B device since it has an onboard radio is sold to residential users.
Why do you think equipment manufactured in UK/Europe and PRC needs to have external labelling?
Because it's sold in the US. Also,

"If the labelling area is considered too small and therefore it is impractical (smaller than the palm of the hand) to display the compliance statement, then the statement may be placed in the user manual or product packaging. However, the device must still be labelled with the FCC ID."

https://apps.fcc.gov/kdb/GetAttachment. ... mber=27980
Last edited by gop on Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

DougieLawson

Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:11 pm

Zero's don't have any on board wireless neither BT nor WiFi so should be exempt from FCC certification.
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All fake doctors are on my foes list.

rpdom

Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:15 pm

gop wrote:I can't find RPi Zero's. It's a Class B device since it has an onboard radio.
No it doesn't.

bensimmo

Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:16 pm

DougieLawson wrote:Zero's don't have any on board wireless neither BT nor WiFi so should be exempt from FCC certification.
Why does the B have it?

I think from some long boring post I skimmed over on Element that 'computing' devices all need Class B in the residential use.
But that US so they can explain whats and whys and wheres

aaronb3

Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:37 pm

bensimmo wrote:
DougieLawson wrote:Zero's don't have any on board wireless neither BT nor WiFi so should be exempt from FCC certification.
Why does the B have it?

I think from some long boring post I skimmed over on Element that 'computing' devices all need Class B in the residential use.
Then the Zero should be no less a Class B device than the B(+).

W. H. Heydt

Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:15 am

bensimmo wrote:
Why does the B have it?

The only B-series Pi that has built in wiFi or B/T is the Pi3B. With the original Model B, the only emissions problem found in testing (IIRC) was related to HDMI and it turned to be the fault of the cable, not the Pi.

aaronb3

Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:30 am

FCC writes:

If a digital device is sold or offered for sale to any residential users (including
commercial or industrial companies that could employ the equipment in a residential
environment) then it is a Class B digital device regardless of its price or application.

https://transition.fcc.gov/Bureaus/Engi ... t62rev.pdf

So it's not about having on board radios.

aaronb3

Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:33 am

W. H. Heydt wrote:With the original Model B, the only emissions problem found in testing (IIRC) was related to HDMI and it turned to be the fault of the cable, not the Pi.
Yeah, but why does the Model B need FCC certification whilst the Zero does not? Neither is an intentional emitter.

W. H. Heydt

Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:11 am

aaronb3 wrote:
W. H. Heydt wrote:With the original Model B, the only emissions problem found in testing (IIRC) was related to HDMI and it turned to be the fault of the cable, not the Pi.
Yeah, but why does the Model B need FCC certification whilst the Zero does not? Neither is an intentional emitter.
The FCC wants certification that they *don't* emit. *All* electronics is going to put out some EMI. The certification tests are to be sure that it is below the legal limits on specified frequency bands. For devices that are designed to emit, the tests are to show that the emissions are within the limits for both power and frequency. This is feeds into to why people who want to turn a Pi into an FM transmitter are told not to do it.

aaronb3

Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:40 am

W. H. Heydt wrote:
aaronb3 wrote:
The FCC wants certification that they *don't* emit. *All* electronics is going to put out some EMI. The certification tests are to be sure that it is below the legal limits on specified frequency bands. For devices that are designed to emit, the tests are to show that the emissions are within the limits for both power and frequency. This is feeds into to why people who want to turn a Pi into an FM transmitter are told not to do it.
Yes, I understand that. But the Model B needed certification even when it didn't intend to emit. Why doesn't the Zero need certification also? It could well unintentionally emit like the Model B did.

bensimmo

Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:15 am

Which means to me, the Zero being a Personal Computer under their FCC definition needs to be Class B certified.
Most digital devices are subject to FCC technical standards that limit the amount of
radio noise that can be radiated from the digital device or conducted by the digital
device onto the electrical power lines. Most digital devices must be tested and shown
to be compliant with these standards before they can be marketed. In addition,
personal computers are required to be authorized by the FCC because they have been
found to have the potential for causing interference
and (after the table that shows it needs to be certified not just verified.)
Certified devices are also required to have an FCC ID label attached to them. The
FCC ID label must be permanently marked (etched, engraved, indelibly printed, etc.)
either directly on the device, or on a tag that is permanently affixed (riveted, welded,
etc.) to the device. The FCC ID label must be readily visible to the purchaser at the
time of purchase.
It is not just about WiFi and radio's

Assuming that is the most recent revision, it is from 1996.

Return to “General discussion”