fdr4prez

Using same SD card in Pi Zero and Pi model A or B?

Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:30 pm

I know that the SD card is not compatible between the Pi Zero and the Pi2/3, but what about older model A/B or any other Pi model I can get?

I have a number of pending projects for the Pi Zero, so I was hoping to use another Pi model as the development environment due to ease of interconnects, and when I am done with the building the project, both hardware and software, then just pop in the SD card and call it a day.

Or if I need to make future changes, then just pop in the SD card from the project, so I don't need to disassemble the project to get peripherals attached.

Is that possible?

6by9
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Using same SD card in Pi Zero and Pi model A or B?

Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:43 pm

fdr4prez wrote:I know that the SD card is not compatible between the Pi Zero and the Pi2/3, but what about older model A/B or any other Pi model I can get?
Where have you got that idea from? If you're taking a standard Raspbian image, then it should run on all Pi platforms as long as it was from after the relevant board was released.

There is obviously the need for a microSD to full size SD card adapter to fit it into a model A or B.
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

UK_Ham

Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:46 pm

What I have done is fit a Zero4U usb expander and by careful shopping on EBAY acquired a Keyboard , USB Wi-Fi dongle, HDMI/VGA adaptor, along with a mouse from the local £ shop and a secondhand 17" monitor from a local charity shop for £5.00
Total spend including the Zero was £27.00 - I already had a 2A psu from an old Android tablet. Gives me a Zero for development work and then every thing will just fit in the replacement Zero when the time comes.
Put it all together tonight and was able to go online with no fuss at all - straight plug and play!
Also have a cobbler from the bay to go to my breadboard
Name is Mike, Radio Ham and Weather Nut.
Total Beginner with Rpi Zero

DougieLawson

Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:46 pm

fdr4prez wrote:I know that the SD card is not compatible between the Pi Zero and the Pi2/3 ...
Eh? Where did you get that idea, that's 100% wrong.

If you build a NOOBS 2.1 or Raspbian Jessie 2017-01-11 micro SDcard that will boot on ANY raspberry. It only needs a physical needs an adapter for RPi1A or RPi1B machines.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

fdr4prez

Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:33 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
fdr4prez wrote:I know that the SD card is not compatible between the Pi Zero and the Pi2/3 ...
Eh? Where did you get that idea, that's 100% wrong.

If you build a NOOBS 2.1 or Raspbian Jessie 2017-01-11 micro SDcard that will boot on ANY raspberry. It only needs a physical needs an adapter for RPi1A or RPi1B machines.
Thanks.

I was trying to look into this last week, so I don't have records of what blog/sites I was scouring.

I do see that on the RetroPie site they do maintain a Pi0/1 image and a Pi2/3 image, and so they seem to think that they are not interchangeable. Maybe I'll take my Pi3 RetroPie card and slap it into my Pi 0 and see what happens.

Also, I do like the idea of just purchasing another Pi 0 and leave it connected to the peripherals.

6by9

Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:46 pm

fdr4prez wrote:I was trying to look into this last week, so I don't have records of what blog/sites I was scouring.

I do see that on the RetroPie site they do maintain a Pi0/1 image and a Pi2/3 image, and so they seem to think that they are not interchangeable. Maybe I'll take my Pi3 RetroPie card and slap it into my Pi 0 and see what happens.

Also, I do like the idea of just purchasing another Pi 0 and leave it connected to the peripherals.
Both Dougie and I referenced Raspbian. RetroPie is a different beast.
Pi0/A/B/A+/B+ and Pi2/3 are different processor revisions (armv6 vs armv7) and run a different kernel. Raspbian ships with both versions of the kernel but it sounds like RetroPie separate them. The Pi3 is actually an armv8 processor, but is equally at home running armv7.
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

fdr4prez

Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:58 pm

OK, that is sounding better, so this is not much of a concern since my new projects will not be based on RetroPie.

so I can use my existing Pi3, using Raspbian, to get the software side working for my Pi0 projects.

Thanks everyone.

rpdom

Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:34 pm

fdr4prez wrote:so I can use my existing Pi3, using Raspbian, to get the software side working for my Pi0 projects.
Yes. I quite often build projects on a Raspbian card in one of my Pi 3Bs, then transfer the card to one of my Zeros for use.

tech-mech

Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:36 am

When I got my PiZero it would not boot any of the cards my others would.

I found out that if I let the Zero expand the file system I could use one of my others (B+ or 2B) to install the os. After that I could interchange the cards.

I use a 2B normally for upgrades on the Zero and my A+.

Can anybody give a reason why the Zero wants to expand the file system or not us the card.

I think I did find something online about this and that is the way I got mine working. At first I thought that the Zero was bad.

Dale

W. H. Heydt

Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:41 am

6by9 wrote:(armv6 vs armv7)
ARMv6 vs. ARMv8-A. The only ARMv7 was the original Pi2B (probably a lot of them still out there and active--including a bunch I have), but the Pi2B2 is ARMv8-A being the same SoC as the Pi3B/CM3/CM3L.

6by9

Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:55 am

W. H. Heydt wrote:
6by9 wrote:(armv6 vs armv7)
ARMv6 vs. ARMv8-A. The only ARMv7 was the original Pi2B (probably a lot of them still out there and active--including a bunch I have), but the Pi2B2 is ARMv8-A being the same SoC as the Pi3B/CM3/CM3L.
The two kernel versions used in Raspbian are for ARMv6 and ARMv7 as that makes the image compatible with ALL Pis whether using 2835, 2836, or 2837. There is an option for loading an ARMv8 kernel, but it is not used as standard. Pi Towers isn't going to suddenly drop support for all the 2836 Pi2 boards out there just because the Pi2B2 is now 2837.

Return to “General discussion”