jmlxg

Re: Games

Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:48 am

I got a few questions about the raspberry pi and what I can do with it. :)

I am curious if the raspberry pi can run nexuiz/xonotic? 8-) I know the GPU is more than capable of it but I also am not sure if alien arena would run because its system requirements are too high. I am also curious if the raspberry pi can emulate Gameboy advance games? :)

brandonduda

Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:20 am

Seeing as they had quake 3 running on it, it MAY be possible. Someone would have to compile the source for ARM along with maybe some tweaks.

(Holy cow, is Nexuiz really still going? I miss it and should pick it up again!)

jmlxg

Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:33 pm

Compiling the source core for ARM shouldn\'t be very hard. Xonotic is a fork for Nexuiz I think. I wonder if I could compile descent 3\'s source core to make it work on ARM? I know descent 1 and 2 work on ARM using d2x if I am not mistaken.

Luny

Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:57 am

I\'m itching to write something in ARM. I haven\'t written a game since I had the Archimedes in the 90s. However time is the usual factor, as I spent 400 quid on a tablet on the premise I\'d write some stuff for that. which I am, sort of, but very very S L O W L Y.... To many platforms and not enought time. I was a bit like this in the 80s, I wanted to learn about all of the micros that existed. Every machine interested me, even the Oric ;)
Luny

Luny

Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:40 am

I can see that a lot of people want their own OS. I would love to see it as something like an 8 bit micro, with quick and simple OS giving a command line interface. Either a mix of Linux and python or a generic old school kernel with BASIC.

I would love to write my own. Put that on my list of things to do when I win the lottery and retire.

I\'m definitley going to put some emulators on mine.
I might try python with the kids, if they show any interest.
Write a game.
Bring peace to the world... Oh no hang on I\'ll save that one for when I\'m Miss World.
Luny

maikmerten

Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:58 pm

Being a former project member of Nexuiz I think I can help a bit with the Nexuiz/Xonotic (the latter basically being something similar to the successor of the former, I\'m not aware of any continued development of the original open-source Nexuiz - not to be confused with the commercial console game of the same name) question.

Nexuiz/Xonotic is using the Darkplaces engine, which is GPLed (just like the whole game, complete with art assets), so a port is for sure possible in terms of source availability. Following challenges would have to be overcome:

* OpenGL on the Raspberry Pi is, as far as I know, available in the form of \"OpenGL ES\" (2.0 I assume), the game engine currently supports OpenGL starting with ancient 1.x versions reaching up to 3.x features that can be used. The renderer would need a port to OpenGL ES 2.0, which should be possible and I think LordHavoc, the engine\'s main developer, confirmed this.

* The Raspberry Pi does not have a lot of RAM. For Xonotic, people on 32-bit machines have to use a build with precompressed textures to prevent running into issues when running out of virtual address space - all texture assets etc. are (uncompressed and in full quality) several gigabytes big. Clearly, on a Raspberry Pi one would have to dramatically scale down on that, reducing texture quality. It may be a challenge scaling down to 256 MB of RAM, but then again there already are minified builds of Nexuiz/Xonotic done by community enthusiasts that like to tinker with that.

* The processor, of course, is \"slow\" when comparing to normal desktop PCs. Nexuiz/Xonotic likes fast CPUs and I don\'t think I ever saw it performing decently on something like a 10 years old desktop processor. So this *will* be challenging and optimizations would most likely be needed. Those, however a) don\'t happen automatically and b) don\'t happen over night.

So bascially, yes, I *think* one can get these games running on a Raspberry Pi, but some effort is needed to fit into this little machine and performance may not be great. However, once you port the Darkplaces game engine you at least have one of the very best Quake engines available (Darkplaces is a very advanced Quake engine) - and I think Quake 1 (and its many mods) will just perform nicely.

AdRiley

Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:20 pm

[quote]Quote from Luny on December 13, 2011, 08:57
I spent 400 quid on a tablet on the premise I\'d write some stuff for that. which I am, sort of, but very very S L O W L Y.... [/quote]

This sounds just like me... I brought a mac because I wanted to write some IOS apps, but not really getting anywhere quick; so it\'s just an expensive web browser at the moment. I think maybe I lost a bit of motivation when I realized I wasn\'t going to be able to make any money out the apps...
www.raspberrypiblog.com

jmlxg

Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:36 pm

How would I find a port for the Xonotic/Nexuiz renderer? I think that it would run the low CPU that the Raspberry PI uses however it would probably run at low settings. I wonder if their is a way to port descent 3 from x86 to arm because the source code is available?

ajjr

Sat May 12, 2018 9:22 pm

I wish you could get Xonotic on rpi3

cushinga

Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:08 pm

Nexuiz is available using:

Code: Select all

sudo apt install nexuiz
but I am having trouble with Xonotic, maybe Box86?

julia1985

Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:25 pm

Did someone from the forum manage to get Xonotic up? I still can't cope.

Lampisher

Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:14 pm

julia1985 wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:25 pm
Did someone from the forum manage to get Xonotic up? I still can't cope.
I started working on this issue.

valentim

Working Xonotic on Pi 4

Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:19 pm

Xonotic on Pi 4 works fine provided you cumulatively follow the two procedures described here:
https://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.p ... 5#pid85895
https://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.p ... 6#pid86786

Basically:

1) Install darkplaces from Raspberry repo: sudo apt install darkplaces
2) download and unzip xonotic-0.8.2.zip anywhere suitable
3) start xonotic using: darkplaces -xonotic -basedir /location/of/unziped/Xonotic

At this point you will notice the program starts but the fonts are garbled. To fix it:

4) create a text file named autoexec.cfg in the ~/.xonotic/data directory (should have been create when you run step 3)
5) add to autoexec.cfg the following:

Code: Select all

loadfont user0 gfx/vera-sans 12
loadfont user1 gfx/vera-sans 12
loadfont user2 gfx/vera-sans 12
loadfont user3 gfx/vera-sans 12
loadfont console gfx/vera-sans 12
loadfont sbar gfx/vera-sans 12
loadfont notify gfx/vera-sans 12
loadfont chat gfx/vera-sans 12
loadfont centerprint gfx/vera-sans 12
loadfont infobar gfx/vera-sans 12