CarlRJ

Re: Pi Zero order limit redux, beating a dead horse?

Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:00 am

rahlquist wrote:Kinda part of my point. If I want to buy online its going to be at least $20USD for this wonderful $5 device.
Nope, $11USD (actually 18 cents under or 3 cents over, depending on which site), including delivery from the UK to California. Ask me how I know.

Edit: checking the transaction records, they were $11.41 and $11.63, all told (difference perhaps due to fluctuating exchange rates).

Yes, of course, I'd like to be able to order them in quantity 1-20 from Amazon with "free" prime shipping (and a pink pony), but $11-and-change to your door in a week is still pretty remarkable, all things considered.
Last edited by CarlRJ on Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

rpdom

Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:47 am

W. H. Heydt wrote:Question for those posting to this thread (or even the lurkers)... Have you ever pulled a Pi Zero out of your pocket and asked someone how much they think it costs? Either before or after stating what it? What sort of answers did you get for the first guess? (I've gotten answers as high as $1000. Yeah...right...I routinely carry $1000 electronics boards in my pocket...)
Yes. Answers ranged from £50 to £250.

rahlquist

Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:52 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote: Say, what? Where did you get the idea that the Pi Zero isn't made on the same line as other Pis?
https://www.raspberrypi.org/magpi/raspb ... -on-track/

FTA:
But, given the tradition for new Pi models to sell out at launch, why is it taking so long to ramp up production on the Zero? The answer lies in the board’s unique position, Eben reveals. “This isn’t quite the same as the other Pis, because the other Pis are made by RS and Farnell. We make these Pis, so you’re actually looking at a small company trying to scale.”

“We’ve got good resources and good engineers, but you’re looking at a small company trying to scale production,” Eben continues. “It’s not quite realistic to compare the [Pi Zero] throughput to the throughput of the big Pis, because the big Pis are being made by billion-dollar, billion-pound companies; the Zero’s being made by us.”
Now maybe what Eben is saying is RS and Farnell handle everything with the big Pi's but the Zero all RS and Farnell do is assemble and the Pi foundation handles all other logistics, not sure.
To get a Pi Zero, the lowest shipping from Adafruit is $6.
The cheapest I can get ANYTHING shipped to me in Georgia from Adafruit is $9.09. The others in the past, I am pretty sure I had the same issue there, higher shipping. Since now that doesnt appear to be an issue (I tried with a similar device since PiZero is showing out of stock) then I will likely order a few from them. Pimoroni, standard international shipping is $5 and Royal Air Mail like PiHut offers (for $5) is $8. I'd have to check if their standard shipping offers tracking. So yes it appears some options have opened up.

I am sorry if I sound like a nickle dimer on the shipping but my wife runs a small business and I know the rates as they should be even if you factor in the cost of packaging etc. I could ship 40 Pi Zero for under $7 USPS Priority mail.

Another point...do you plan ahead? IF you are doing projects on an ongoing basis, why not buy a few Pi Zeros just to keep them on hand for when a project comes along that they're just the thing for...especially if you either get to that MicroCenter on a regular basis
Sure there is some planning but I only am in that area at best 3 times a year. This time I did take my 14yr old Daughter. The problem with Microcenter is like most stores nowdays they like to track their customer info. So when she went to the register to get her Pi Zero she was asked about her phone # and they pulled me up in their DB. I dont like feeling like I have to sneak to get more than one in a retail setting. Thats just me.

rahlquist

Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:58 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote: Say, what? Where did you get the idea that the Pi Zero isn't made on the same line as other Pis? That they *are* made on the same line as other Pis is part of the problem.
Ahh I see clarification here. viewtopic.php?f=63&t=138564

So the majority of the PI are built in China.The 3B and Zero are made in the Sony factory in the UK. The Pi foundation appears to handle the logistics for the Pi Zero where as the rest are handled by the factories and wholesale distribution.

RaTTuS

Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:10 pm

rahlquist wrote:...

So the majority of the PI are built in China.The 3B and Zero are made in the Sony factory in the UK. The Pi foundation appears to handle the logistics for the Pi Zero where as the rest are handled by the factories and wholesale distribution.
no - there are some made in china {Pi 2 Pi3]
the majority are made in Wales , there is a factory in Japan which is the same as the one in Wales [whether it make PI0 we don't know]

the Pi0 made in Wales are done in between the other runs
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

W. H. Heydt

Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:00 pm

rahlquist wrote:
W. H. Heydt wrote: Say, what? Where did you get the idea that the Pi Zero isn't made on the same line as other Pis?
https://www.raspberrypi.org/magpi/raspb ... -on-track/

FTA:
But, given the tradition for new Pi models to sell out at launch, why is it taking so long to ramp up production on the Zero? The answer lies in the board’s unique position, Eben reveals. “This isn’t quite the same as the other Pis, because the other Pis are made by RS and Farnell. We make these Pis, so you’re actually looking at a small company trying to scale.”

“We’ve got good resources and good engineers, but you’re looking at a small company trying to scale production,” Eben continues. “It’s not quite realistic to compare the [Pi Zero] throughput to the throughput of the big Pis, because the big Pis are being made by billion-dollar, billion-pound companies; the Zero’s being made by us.”
Now maybe what Eben is saying is RS and Farnell handle everything with the big Pi's but the Zero all RS and Farnell do is assemble and the Pi foundation handles all other logistics, not sure.
I see you found the correction. RS and Farnell contract with factories for production, much of it from Sony Pencoed in Wales. In the case of the Pi Zero, the RPT does the contract itself. Same factory, same production line. (I really think that Sony would be well advised to put in another dedicated Pi production line, but they don't seem to be likely to do so. Of course, they have access to a lot of information that I don't.)
To get a Pi Zero, the lowest shipping from Adafruit is $6.

The cheapest I can get ANYTHING shipped to me in Georgia from Adafruit is $9.09. The others in the past, I am pretty sure I had the same issue there, higher shipping. Since now that doesnt appear to be an issue (I tried with a similar device since PiZero is showing out of stock) then I will likely order a few from them. Pimoroni, standard international shipping is $5 and Royal Air Mail like PiHut offers (for $5) is $8. I'd have to check if their standard shipping offers tracking. So yes it appears some options have opened up.
With Adafruit, did you scroll down to the end of the listing of shipping options? As I recall, USPS is at the bottom of the list and is the cheapest option. Unless Adafruit is treating Georgia like a third world country with a dodgy postal system...
Another point...do you plan ahead? IF you are doing projects on an ongoing basis, why not buy a few Pi Zeros just to keep them on hand for when a project comes along that they're just the thing for...especially if you either get to that MicroCenter on a regular basis
Sure there is some planning but I only am in that area at best 3 times a year. This time I did take my 14yr old Daughter. The problem with Microcenter is like most stores nowdays they like to track their customer info. So when she went to the register to get her Pi Zero she was asked about her phone # and they pulled me up in their DB. I dont like feeling like I have to sneak to get more than one in a retail setting. Thats just me.
Radio Shack used to ask for zip codes. I generally declined to provide one as I felt no particular desire to aid their market research. It's the same reason I abhor "loyalty cards". I only have one, but that one has never had any personal data attached to it, and it is a replacement for one I lost where I gave the store the name "B. Munchausen" and the address was that of the store itself. Only one clerk ever even partially figured out the name (I was asked if I was related to Baron Munchausen). It was actually my way of telling the system I was lying on the rest of the data.

As for your daughter, at 14 she should decline to give *any* personal data to a store clerk, period, end of story. If pushed she can say that her parents don't want her giving out that data, and without further explanation. (I don't think store clerks should *ever* ask that question of a minor.)

scruss

Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:01 pm

rahlquist wrote:… The problem with Micro Center is like most stores nowadays they like to track their customer info.
You don't have to give them information. I usually decline as politely as possible. By sheer luck, we happened to be staying near a Micro Center over the holidays, so I picked one up every day for USD 5. That's almost exactly $7 Canadian. I don't know of anywhere near me I can pick up a Zero retail, and the last one I mail-ordered was over $20.

Micro Center's pricing is kind of amusing: 1 at $5.00 each; 2-5 at $9.99 each; 6+ at $12.99 each, and no mail order. So they don't outright prevent you from buying more than one, they just make it a volume undiscount.
Last edited by scruss on Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.
Pronouns: he/him

rahlquist

Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:30 pm

[quote="W. H. Heydt"]
With Adafruit, did you scroll down to the end of the listing of shipping options? As I recall, USPS is at the bottom of the list and is the cheapest option. Unless Adafruit is treating Georgia like a third world country with a dodgy postal system...
[quote]
http://imgur.com/a/d7ADb

paulie

Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:51 pm

Don't forget that you get a free Pi Zero with every 6 month/12 month subscription to the MagPi magazine.
It has been my custom to use Xeyes

Nimba

Wed May 17, 2017 12:12 pm

I ordered a six month subscription in Jan of 2017. There was suppose to be a Pi Zero included. So far it has yet to reach my mailbox. I have contacted the firm that says they are the U.S. Distributor for MagPi a total of five times. I have been told it has been reordered five times. I posted a message on RaspberryPi site in Britain a couple of days ago and as yet, no reply.

As a newbie I don't even know if this is the proper place to post the question, but would be greatful if someone would point me in the correct direction. If RaspberryPi needs the device that bad, they can have it. Just wish they would acknowledge my subscription and the issue. I have been receiving my MagPi magazines on time.

Regards,

Nimba

Return to “General discussion”