WD PiDrive 314GB
Raspberry Pi Zero
USB Adapter board
microSD card (with preloaded software)
mini HDMI adapter cable

for £43.99

Looks pretty good to me - notice it includes the pi zero

https://www.wdc.com/en-gb/products/wdla ... WDLB033RNN
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

DougieLawson

Re: WD PiDrive NodeZero

Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:11 pm

http://wdlabs.wd.com/products/sata-adapter-board/ with a CM3 (assuming it supports it) and 1TB drive would beat that, hands down.
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All non-medical doctors are on my foes list.

ejolson

Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:44 pm

DougieLawson wrote:http://wdlabs.wd.com/products/sata-adapter-board/ with a CM3 (assuming it supports it) and 1TB drive would beat that, hands down.
Wouldn't that cost 3 to 5 times more?

mikerr

Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:36 pm

WD data board for compute module: £26
Compute module 3 : £30
1TB 2.5" Hdd : £50

Total £106 - better performance , but over double the price
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

W. H. Heydt

Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:43 pm

mikerr wrote:WD data board for compute module: £26
Compute module 3 : £30
1TB 2.5" Hdd : £50

Total £106 - better performance , but over double the price
You could shave that just a bit by setting the boot from USB on a CM3L and using that. On the other hand, by spec'ing the more expensive 1TB drive, you've tripled the storage space. Drop down to the 314GB drive (as used with the Pi Zero version), and it would come down some more. It should be possible to get the most comparable version down below 2x the Pi Zero version.

Still...the Pi Zero version is an intriguing idea, if a rather expensive way to buy a Pi Zero. One wonders how many of them one could buy at a time....

W. H. Heydt

Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:26 pm

Found the US listing. Price is $45, so if the 43GBP includes VAT, the price is--essentially--the same. One interesting point...they don't seem to be limiting purchases to one at a time (I was able to set the purchase to 5 of them, though I didn't actually buy them). Rather expensive way to buy multiple Pi Zeros, but it does appera to be possible to do so. Price isn't bad, considering original introductory price on the 314GB drive was $31.42 with a (supposed) list price of something over $40. So...a $40 HDD, $5 Pi Zero and an adapter board, all for $45.

Edit to add:
After a bit of poking around on the WD Labs site, they don't appear to have the bare 314GB drive any more. The have a 250GB HDD for $29 and a 375GB drive for $39. So one could parse out the cost of the parts of the Pi Zero unit in a couple of different ways.

mikerr

Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:51 pm

I just swapped out the regular pi zero included in the Node Zero for the new zero W - saves using a USB dongle ...

I notice they're now doing cases for the Node Zero which makes it a more complete unit:
ImageImageImage
http://wdlabs.wd.com/products/enclosure-node-zero/

linux_author

Thu May 04, 2017 6:10 pm

thanks to you, i now have a wireless NodeZero too! works fine... my nitpick is with the enclosure... the board/drive/zero are upside-down and tolerance is tight above and below decks - meaning that a GPIO PHAT, such as an audio DAC is out of the question in the enclosure without some wire soldering and shoehorning

(i'm gonna do it anyway)

:-)

oh, and the obnoxious white and blue LEDs on the node have been tamed and now shine with a nice raspberry-colored (coloured?) light, thanks to a dab of the wife unit's toenail polish

willie
on the 'if it smells like chicken, you're doing it wrong' Gulf of Mexico

S0litaire

Fri May 05, 2017 11:21 am

linux_author wrote: ...
oh, and the obnoxious white and blue LEDs on the node have been tamed and now shine with a nice raspberry-colored (coloured?) light, thanks to a dab of the wife unit's toenail polish...
Sounds like a great idea. I just stuck my rpi0w node in a "C6" postal box. (Can open / close lid to regulate heat...) ^__~
--
Laters

Bill "Solitaire" C

Anáil nathrach, ortha bhas betha, do cheol déanta

Return to “General discussion”