jb63

Any new products in the pipeline ???

Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:27 pm

If my memory serves me right, the Pi Zero was introduced about a year ago (give/take few weeks).
This leaves one wondering what could possibly the foundation will be surprising us with?

Any hints/announcements (that I have missed) ?

mattmiller

Re: Any new products in the pipeline ???

Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:44 pm

you missed the big, double-page spread in Sunday's Telegraph????

Heater

Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:55 pm

There are no new Pi coming ever again.

Eben and Liz are going to retire to Monaco with the profits of their endeavour.

As they live out their dotage on champagne and caviar it's down to us to pick up the torch and build a new Pi.

I suggest looking at the RISC V architecture as a starting point.

:)
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

W. H. Heydt

Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:25 pm

Already out:
Pi Zero: Late November 2015.
Pi3B: March 2016.
Pi2B2: Fall 2016.

Expected:
CM3/CM3L: any day now.
CM3-16 (NEC): January 2017
Pi3A: after CM3.

Eventually:
Pi4B: some time between early 2018 and 2019.

gregeric

Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:45 pm

WHH you missed out the A+512, the Chinese made Zero (yes it exists), & the Japanese made Pi3 for collectors of all Pi flavours.

Heater, you have failed to see the dominant market for the Pi, which is emulation.

Emulation is terribly inefficient - we can do better than that - so let it be based on a 6502, the perfect beeb clone.

Heck it could be modular with a slot in Z80 for Sinclair/Timex fans. And you could even drop in an ARM core to "emulate" the Pi Model B.

Edit: ;)

W. H. Heydt

Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:09 pm

gregeric wrote:WHH you missed out the A+512, the Chinese made Zero (yes it exists), & the Japanese made Pi3 for collectors of all Pi flavours.

Heater, you have failed to see the dominant market for the Pi, which is emulation.

Emulation is terribly inefficient - we can do better than that - so let it be based on a 6502, the perfect beeb clone.

Heck it could be modular with a slot in Z80 for Sinclair/Timex fans. And you could even drop in an ARM core to "emulate" the Pi Model B.

Edit: ;)
I sit corrected. I did miss the A+512MB, and I have two of them. I'm not sure I'd class the Sony Japan production of the Pi3B as a "new product" On the other hand I also missed the Pi Zero v1.3 (the addition of the CSI connector) which was released in spring 2016.

Of course, what this all comes down to is that there have been several releases, including a major one (the Pi3B) since the launch of the Pi Zero, plus there are some known, anticipated launches that have been talked about. As Eben put it in an interview at the San Mateo Maker Faire a couple of years ago when asked what he had learned from the RPF, he replied, "Launch early and often." I think he's still working some of the "early" parts of that. CM3 and Pi3A were supposed to be out last year.... Sigh...

boyoh

Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:16 pm

I think the day as come, where there are to many Code designers ,
And not enough Electronic design Engineers in the market.
I think the Raspberry Pi Foundation know this
BoyOh ( Selby, North Yorkshire.UK)
Some Times Right Some Times Wrong

gregeric

Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:33 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:I'm not sure I'd class the Sony Japan production of the Pi3B as a "new product"
No, nor would I, hence the use of the words 'collectors' and 'flavours'. The Chinese Zero is the one that has been slipped in unnoticed, at least in these parts. Maybe for the Asian/Pacific market? As pictured here: https://blog.aivanet.com/2016/12/17/201 ... our-phone/

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:10 pm

boyoh wrote:I think the day as come, where there are to many Code designers ,
And not enough Electronic design Engineers in the market.
I think the Raspberry Pi Foundation know this
They just employed at least one design engineer, and two more software engineers.....There are quite a few electronic design guys around Cambridge, if they wanted more they could easily find them. Their team is pretty big now.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

jb63

Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:53 pm

mattmiller wrote:you missed the big, double-page spread in Sunday's Telegraph????
BY the time the Telegraph makes it to Chicago, it's old news already ;)

Return to “General discussion”