DougieLawson

Re: Disabling IPV6, yep that old Chestnut again..

Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:39 pm

You've got no default route, you can't ping your router. That means your DHCP server is not handing out the right info on the DHCPOFFER packet or you've missed the static router definition if things are using static IP addresses.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

Heater

Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:11 pm

DougieLawson,
You've got no default route, you can't ping your router...
I'm not sure I understand what you mean. As far as I can tell my router's address is 2001:14ba:8300::fdbf/128

I can ping6 that from outside using this service: http://www.subnetonline.com/pages/ipv6- ... 6-ping.php

I can ping6 that from a Pi 3 on my LAN

People can attempt to hack my Pi over IPv6 from outside.

Isn't that all I need?
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

DougieLawson

Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:38 pm

Heater wrote:DougieLawson,
You've got no default route, you can't ping your router...
I'm not sure I understand what you mean.
That was aimed at Wolfie, who has more than IPv6 problems his system doesn't have an IPv4 default route.

My IPv6 network runs with a Hurricane Electric tunnel and the route advertiser daemon.

That's one thing they did much better with IPv6, nobody needs DHCP, they only need the prefix and the default route from the route advertiser daemon (which would normally run on your router if your ISP gives you a IPv6 prefix). Each station gets to choose its own IPv6 address (which in my case is using the MAC-48 to create a EUI-64 which gets appended to a /64 prefix to create a 128-bit address).

Once the IPv4 or IPv6 packet is loaded up with the UDP or TCP payload it doesn't really matter which flavour of the internet protocol is in use as long as things reach their destination.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Heater

Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:56 pm

Ah, OK we have a confusing thread going on here.

Years ago I had to mess around getting IPv6 connectivity from Linux via an IPv6 tunnel. May well have been HE, I don't recall exactly. I was amazed to find recently that IPv6 just works out of the box today. At least with the ISP's around here.

As for Woflie's problems. I don't know if this has been done yet but I suspect the thing to do is start over with a fresh Raspian install. Which should of course just work.

If it does not, then we have a known baseline to investigate.

mfa298

Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:02 am

Woflie wrote:Yes I can force it to work with the dhclient command, but I would rather find the issue and only cover it up when all else fails, but as asked earlier.. There must be some way of implementing the dhclient command automatically at boot up instead of having to type it in manually at every power up.
I must admit that I did expect the Network to work (properly) straight out of the box.. it's my only disappointment so far.
That's what we'd like to see as well and usually it does just work. Newer raspbian Images use dhcpcd rather than dhclient to get their IPv4 config although either should work if your router is doing dhcp correctly.

Which raspbian image are you running ?
and can you provide the value in /etc/debian_version

What's in your /etc/network/interfaces file ?

Have you added a static IP reservation on your router for the Pi?
Could you try removing it and seeing if you get a "default via" line in "ip route"

Woflie

Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:41 am

Hi, Yep I just did several runs removing the DHCP Static IP in the router then configuring this (rather silly and uninformative) Network Preferences on the Pi.

Ping doesn't get a reply from the router, it says "ICMP open socket: operation not permitted".. right ho, but my confusion continues since I am using the Pi over the network, it's in another room simply connected to a USB charger.. it is definitely connected to the WiFi. It even admits it when rolling over the WiFi icon on the taskbar.

Maybe I could do with a short lesson on the Network settings on the Pi first though since I have to assume things.. every time I open the "Network Preferences" window, all the entries are blank and "automatically configure empty options" is ticked. When it got these settings from the DHCP server, I assumed this was correct.

I have tried setting IP, Switch Addr and DNS one at a time manually on the Pi and clearing the tick for ACEO (and have removed the DHCP entries in the Router). Then if I click "Apply" the tick re appears even when there are no empty options.

If I "save" the options, they are all blank again when I return to the "Network Preferences" and the tick has returned, where have my settings gone? have they been set? It doesn't tell me.. Is this correct?

I'm finding that the Pi tells me very little in places where I expect to find informaton, I have to go to Terminal (and presumably need to learn Linux).

Currently it looks as though the Pi and the Router simply don't like each other. I have another couple of router/switches i will try one tomorrow, but (Yawn!) it's time for bed.
Thanks for your time today fellas.
:
Wolfie
:
Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana..

apolonio

Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:07 am

Is there a way to clear the arp table on your default gateway? Or at least remove the entry for your Pi on the gateway?

Does a gateway that does both ipv4 and ipv6 maintain two arp tables, one for each type of IP address?

DougieLawson

Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:33 am

Next step

Update /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf with

Code: Select all

country=GB
ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev
update_config=1

network={
        ssid="yourSSIDgoeshere"
        psk="yourPasswordgoeshere"
}
it's in clear text so you can be sure it's the right credentials.

Woflie

Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:13 pm

mfa298 wrote:Which raspbian image are you running ?
and can you provide the value in /etc/debian_version
It simply says '8.0', there is nothing else..
mfa298 wrote:What's in your /etc/network/interfaces file ?
network interfaces.jpg
network interfaces.jpg (29.77 KiB) Viewed 2042 times
I thought I had some news a minute ago, when I found that I might have been configuring the "Network Preferences" incorrectly, it has taken me back to the "Network is unreachable" message. Now, but at least when I set the IP, mask and DNS, they are still shown in the windows when I return to the "Network Preferences".

Have you added a static IP reservation on your router for the Pi?
Could you try removing it and seeing if you get a "default via" line in "ip route"[/quote]

I have now completely disabled the DHCP on the router, nothing appears to have changed as far as the Pi is concerned.

[attachment=0]dougie sett 2.jpg[/attachment]

Oh... I am connected via eth0 now, I don't run quite the same risk of leaving myself unable to RDP into the Pi from here. hope this doesn't add a layer of confusion.
Attachments
dougie sett 2.jpg
dougie sett 2.jpg (55.38 KiB) Viewed 1903 times
Last edited by Woflie on Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
:
Wolfie
:

Woflie

Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:39 pm

apolonio wrote:Is there a way to clear the arp table on your default gateway? Or at least remove the entry for your Pi on the gateway?

Does a gateway that does both ipv4 and ipv6 maintain two arp tables, one for each type of IP address?
I can't find any reference to ARP tables in settings, it's the bog standard home MODEM/Router that EE gave us when we signed up so I daresay it's a basic model. I replaced my Netgear with it and we suddenly had a 2Mb connection (Wheeee!) That's good for around here... (since gone up to 4Mb).
:
Wolfie
:

Woflie

Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:44 pm

Heater wrote:Ah, OK we have a confusing thread going on here.

As for Woflie's problems. I don't know if this has been done yet but I suspect the thing to do is start over with a fresh Raspian install. Which should of course just work.

If it does not, then we have a known baseline to investigate.
I really don't expect to need this, since it is a new item just 6 days outa the box and this problem was there from the start. At the moment I have no spare mem cards lying around either so I'm also reluctant to wipe the original, doing such things always seems to just get me in deeper doodoo. Once I know my way around I might consider it.
:
Wolfie
:

Woflie

Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:52 pm

I think I have a bit of a lifeline as one of our development team has been using a Pi at home so I'll let him borrow this one to try on his home network.

I'll purchase a spare card too for a copy of his OS. I'm sure I'll need one sometime anyway.

I'll let you guys know what happens, when it does... or doesn't
:
Wolfie
:

Woflie

Re: Disabling IPV6, yep that old Chestnut again.. SOLVED!

Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:30 pm

I could see much new writing on the sheets I had taken with the Pi and left with my friend, when I went to collect it, so I didn't take much notice of his description thinking i could study it all at home later. The writing said nothing about the actual resolution.

However, apparently one of the Network config files has a line to tell the Pi to retrieve the gateway address from DHCP after it has retrieved the IP address, this line was missing/corrupt/rem'd out (I forget) and restoring it made the Pi work on his home network. I would have never found something like that.

So now the Pi has now come to it's proper home and it logged straight onto the Wifi, it then got the reserved address from the Router DHCP when I set one, and Yippee! The tinterweb is accessible too.

I know it can be incredibly hard to fault find by remotely controlling someone else's fingers so thanks for all your help and time and worry.

If it had worked straight out of the box, I would have learnt nothing so the cloud had a silver lining,.

Right, lets see what else I can break, I daresay I'll be back before long..
:
Wolfie
:

Heater

Re: Disabling IPV6, yep that old Chestnut again.. IS SOLVED

Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:26 pm

Woflie,

Phew...glad to see it is now working.
...apparently one of the Network config files has a line to tell the Pi to retrieve the gateway address from DHCP after it has retrieved the IP address, this line was missing/corrupt/rem'd out (I forget) and restoring it made the Pi work on his home network.
It would be interesting to know exactly which line in which file that is referring to.
If it had worked straight out of the box, I would have learnt nothing so the cloud had a silver lining,.
Exactly. I'd like to learn it too.

mfa298

Re: Disabling IPV6, yep that old Chestnut again.. SOLVED!

Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:19 pm

Woflie wrote:
However, apparently one of the Network config files has a line to tell the Pi to retrieve the gateway address from DHCP after it has retrieved the IP address, this line was missing/corrupt/rem'd out (I forget) and restoring it made the Pi work on his home network. I would have never found something like that.

So now the Pi has now come to it's proper home and it logged straight onto the Wifi, it then got the reserved address from the Router DHCP when I set one, and Yippee! The tinterweb is accessible too.
Glad to hear you got it working, Interesting I'd have thought a setting like that would have been set by default.

If you get a spare SD card it would be interesting to know if the default config works or not. If not you could look at coping the /etc folder from the working and non working systems and do a diff between them.

Heater

Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:30 pm

mfa298,
I'd have thought a setting like that would have been set by default.
As far as I can tell it is. I have never had a problem with this. After various generations of Pi and Raspbian. On various networks. We don't see piles of people coming here with issues like that.

I really want to know what this mysterious "missing/corrupt/rem'd out" config line was. And how did that happen?

bensimmo

Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:09 pm

--edit missed a whole page of talk--

Wolfie, they be push or motor bikes ?

W0LFIE

Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:02 pm

Motor of course.. :D

Well, I accosted my friendly development helper this morning and while distracting him with work-ey things, I slipped in a question for a bit more information.. hmmm, he seemed a bit vague so I probably wasn't lacking attention yesterday after all..

The best I could get was "he altered a line in the /etc/network/interfaces file"... I tried to get more info, but I really couldn't decide if he actually wanted to say or just couldn't remember.. IT types eh? Either way I wasn't gonna get heavy with my saviour but i would have liked to know the gory details myself.

I had a look through the said file but couldn't see anything that might possibly relate to his words.

I have this little nagging idea in my head that maybe my confusion with the network/WiFi settings at the bottom RHS of the screen maybe did something. I have internet searched for information on how "Preferences" works (it seems illogical to my windows infused brain), the only things I can find, describe setting up a WiFi dongle or setting things using Terminal.

So, last question for now.. Where can I find an in depth description or instruction on this item? Particularly how to clear local settings so that it relies on the router (Brightbox) DHCP.

preferences.jpg
preferences.jpg (58.56 KiB) Viewed 1459 times
:
Time flies like an Arrow, Fruit Flies like a Banana.

Return to “General discussion”