zowyzany

Re: RPi in Car: "live" image (read-only)?

Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:15 am

dangardner wrote:I have got fsprotect working with the Raspbmc distribution. I had to build a new kernel with the aufs patches and enable CONFIG_BLK_DEV_INITRD and CONFIG_AUFS_FS, then create an initrd using mkinitramfs and add that to config.txt before everything worked.
Good news,
I also plan to rebuild the kernel like you did, one of your links is not active any more and other info is not working for my current environment in mentioned links.
Can you support with some steps what to do to build the kernel and what to modify in the config.txt
Menno.

summers

Re: RPi in Car: "live" image (read-only)?

Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:43 am

Guess it depends what you want the pi to do.

If its relatively little, and not X etc, then I'd suggest living in a ramdisk - with mounting and writing to the SD to be only occasional.

Assuming you need more than that. Then arrange any RW filesystem to be a ram disk, and have the SD with the main OS on it as RO.

Should be able to get something reasonably robust.

IIRC jwz web site (one of the original netscape authors) talks about him setting up computers where power could be pulled, this must have been something like 10 years ago. Anyway don't think jwz every deletes anything, so you can probably find it on his site, or the dnalounge blog.

Return to “General discussion”