Loboexe

Re: Mounting The Pi PCB

Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:29 pm

The Pics look great ! and I can not wait to get my hands on a working Pi, I did notice that there is very little room to have any sort of mounting system (stand off posts for example) if you were thinking about putting the Pi in any sort of case or open frame.

In schools, I would think that the tech staff may want to mount this on a board of some type (still open to be seen) but extend the connection out to points that are on the board, to protect the actual connection on the PCB. Duplicat ports on a wooden sloped board or similar could be replaced easier when somebody tries to force a network cable into a USB slot !

It does happen, I once drove to client in Scotland from Milton Keynes to find they had manage to force a 9 pin D plug onto the socket UPSIDE DOWN !, when I pointed this out the person said \"Oh I thoiught that was very hard to fit\"
:o
Has anybody got any ideas about this ?

I am sure there are ways to do it, but its hard to see how from the pictures. If people are thinking about putting this inside old mobile phone enclosures or any other small box

abishur

Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:35 pm

Well, we have been told that future revisions will most likely include mounting holes. As for this board... well I think there\'s been talk about it being shipped with little rubber feet, but I can\'t remember if that was just an idea or a promise. Beyond that, it will be up to us to appropriately fix it. One thing I\'ve been considering it using the unused ports (well ports I\'m not going to use) to work something out. For instance, affix an RCA plug to the location I want it the r-pi to sit, then plug the r-pi into place, or use one of the usb ports (I know that heresy for a lot of people on these forums, but I really only need one port and ethernet so I got an extra usb port) or both, then I\'ll have two point keeping it in place. Sure it won\'t hold up to a lot of abuse, but to just keep in stationary during movement in my entertainment center, it would be sufficient.

Alternatively I was thinking about gluing some plexiglass holders to hold the board in place.
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

Curinga

Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:17 am

I know that there was a lot said about mounting holes. I would be grateful there were some on PCB, but I read enough to be sure there won\'t be at least in the first iterration for sure. Liz said something about Sugru (or similar things). My question is can it bee avaliable in the shop somehow (as not in all country things like that are common)?
BTW I\'d like your idea of using RCA port - I have never thought about it.

Montekuri

Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:32 pm

In the FAQs page it is written that will be cases for future R-Pi\'s.
On the other hand, there is a topic about Cases for the Raspberry Pi given a lot of ideas.

Curinga

Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:41 am

I\'d like to insert it to wooden (or metal) box, no need for specially design case. I just want it to be stable, nothing more. Thanks for topic with Ideas, I would search it and adopt maybe :).

England

Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:37 am

I'm confused, When the Pi goes on sale in January there will be no holes for mounting and the later version will?

Not sure so thought i'd post here

Thanks

Pi Face

Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:10 am

England said:

I"m confused, When the Pi goes on sale in January there will be no holes for mounting and the later version will?

Not sure so thought i"d post here

Thanks

Looking at the beta board, there is no mounting holes to mount the board. Not sure about future boards but I think it would be a good addition. My board will probably be cased with a combination or rubber and plastic.

treczoks

Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:35 am

On the first pictures of the prototype board from Dec.6, 2011, there is a mounting frame around the PCB, which usually gets removed during manufacture. This might be a good thing to mount the PCB on an open board, as it even has some nice (though small) holes in it.

Boxed designs would need better mounting options, though, but I'll still take at least one of the original design to develop and test the software.

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:49 am

Edge clips of some sort, similar to the system used on the Sparkfun mounting board for the Arduino Uno might be a good idea.  If building into a case, edge mounts like those provided with Verocases would also hold the Pi securely.
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

piglet

Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:12 am

Would any of these be usable do you think? Not sure where you get such things retail in very small numbers:

http://www.kitagawa-ind.com/pr...../detail/43

http://www.kitagawa-ind.com/product_en/sp/detail/104

http://www.kitagawa-ind.com/pr...../detail/42

Dave64

Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:04 am

I am looking forward to getting my hands on a board and making or modifying a case to fit it. Because of it's diminutive size I was thinking maybe a modified mini hard drive case might work. My last project was with a somewhat larger mini ITX board that is mow up and running in a case that was previously a free-view HD box. I imagine mounting holes would be very useful but I am sure in view of it's size that various methods to hold it neatly and securely in a case will not be too hard to come up with. It would be interesting to have a page up with picture of buyers projects and solutions they come up with.

The mini itx site has projects on that are for small boards but I bet raspberry owners can do better.

arm2

Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:54 pm

Dave64 said:

I am looking forward to getting my hands on a board and making or modifying a case to fit it. Because of it's diminutive size I was thinking maybe a modified mini hard drive case might work. My last project was with a somewhat larger mini ITX board that is mow up and running in a case that was previously a free-view HD box. I imagine mounting holes would be very useful but I am sure in view of it's size that various methods to hold it neatly and securely in a case will not be too hard to come up with. It would be interesting to have a page up with picture of buyers projects and solutions they come up with.

The mini itx site has projects on that are for small boards but I bet raspberry owners can do better.

I'm interested, which Mini Itx site?

Prometheus

Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:36 pm

arm2 said:

I'm interested, which Mini Itx site?
I'm going to guess that Dave64 meant mini-itx.com, here.

SeanD

Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:28 pm

Jongoleur said:

Edge clips of some sort, similar to the system used on the Sparkfun mounting board for the Arduino Uno might be a good idea.  If building into a case, edge mounts like those provided with Verocases would also hold the Pi securely.

In fact that was exactly what came to mind for me.  Not ideal for all projects but something like Sparkfun's Arduino and breadboard mounting solution would be ideal.

Difficult to see from the picture below as it is all black but a molding without the pins on the posts and an edge clip on each side would work very well and allow a Gertboard/breadboard/whatever to be mounted on the other half.

Gert van Loo

Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:34 pm

Piglet said:

Would any of these be usable do you think? Not sure where you get such things retail in very small numbers:

Hey! Never seen those before. They look interesting. I'll will see what they costs and in what quantity.

Return to “General discussion”