cnxsoft

Re: Shipping in Envelop or Box ?

Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:07 am

I\'m wondering what kind of package will be used to ship the Raspberry Pi once it is available: bubble envelop or some kind of carton box?

I\'m asking since I\'ve read that it may affect custom duties.

abishur

Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:52 pm

It\'s going to come shipped in cardboard box in the middle of a literal raspberry pie (much more secure than bubble wrap!)

Okay, so I don\'t actually know, but that mental picture makes me snicker.
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

walney

Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:52 pm

It\'s going to come with Snickers?
[EDIT: feeling sufficiently bored that I might start a \"Flame\" thread...]

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:02 pm

CNXsoft - afaik, the duties attach to the value of the item, not the box it\'s in. Could you point me at whatever it is you\'ve read? It\'d help us to save you some money if we\'ve got it wrong!
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

matt_heys

Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:35 pm

I think it\'s more likely that if it comes in a box they may think it\'s been bought and charge import duty, if it comes in an envelope it might just be mail and they can\'t tell as easily (unless it has the shipping manifest on the outside).

I have never heard of anything different.

liz

Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:46 pm

Ah - well, I\'m afraid we have to comply with the law and put customs labels on all Raspis going outside the EU. We\'d be doing that whether we were shipping in boxes or envelopes.

Petrakis

Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:58 pm

Well I´ve read that if it´s labeled as GIFT you don´t get custom dutties

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:09 pm

[quote]Quote from Petrakis on December 9, 2011, 15:58
Well I´ve read that if it´s labeled as GIFT you don´t get custom dutties [/quote]

\"Commercial Samples of no value\" is also a good one.....
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

reiuyi

Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:16 pm

Well I´ve read that if it´s labeled as GIFT you don´t get custom dutties [/quote]

Ordering from Hong Kong huh.. the joys of eBay! This \"gift\" labeling is not true. You don\'t pay tax because it\'s under the minimum value which gets taxed. For my country, this is like €25 I believe. This means I may receive envelopes and packages from outside of EU with internal value upto €25 without paying tax.

Import duty is ONLY affected by value of the content excluding packaging and shipping costs. The colour of the envelope, size of the envelope, whether it\'s an envelope or a box all have no effect on tax. Ordering inside the EU will NOT be taxed; you may order thousands of Raspis without paying a single cent to your local tax office. Seeing as Raspi Foundation will most likely have distribution points around the world, you will never be confronted with paying extra at your doorstep in order to receive it. Though it is also VERY likely that the Raspi will be more expensive (upto about 25% more expensive) in certain countries due to shipping and importing costs done by a distribution point.

Whether Raspi is an educational device will not affect import tax as far as I\'m aware of.

RobotGuy

Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:16 pm

Well yes, but you also may to answer some interesting questions asked by HM Revenue & Customs (or you local variation of) for tax evasion. Personally, I\'d rather pay the duty and tax.

liz

Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:23 pm

And *I\'ve* read that if we tried to fiddle the customs labels, we\'d end up in jail (deservedly) for fraud. So I\'m very sorry, but you\'ll just have to pay the duty.

Edited to add:

I should also point out that one of the nice side-benefits of the Raspberry Pi\'s low price is that in most places, it\'s well below the threshold over which you\'d have to pay duty anyway. So as long as you\'re ordering in small numbers, you should be fine.

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:36 pm

[quote]Quote from liz on December 9, 2011, 16:23
And *I\'ve* read that if we tried to fiddle the customs labels, we\'d end up in jail (deservedly) for fraud. So I\'m very sorry, but you\'ll just have to pay the duty.

Edited to add:

I should also point out that one of the nice side-benefits of the Raspberry Pi\'s low price is that in most places, it\'s well below the threshold over which you\'d have to pay duty anyway. So as long as you\'re ordering in small numbers, you should be fine.[/quote]

Probably only for the Model As - The Channel Islands got their threshold reduced recently, and I think it was only consignments below a value of £18 in the first place.
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

redman684

Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:49 pm

I\'d prefer an envelope or flat box which can fit through the mailbox slot. If it\'s too big, the mail service will try to deliver it twice while I\'m at work before I can pick it up at a service point the next business day (which you\'ll see, is always after the weekend). This often adds 4 day of unnecessary waiting for my new toys.

I have had \'problems\' with customs because the sender included the cost of shipment and insurance in the value of the product indicated on the label, raising it above the tax threshold. It\'s not nice when you have to pay taxes over the product, the shipment and the insurance while you wouldn\'t have had to pay taxes at all if the invoice would have been correct.

Petrakis

Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:16 pm

[quote]Quote from RobotGuy on December 9, 2011, 16:16

Well yes, but you also may to answer some interesting questions asked by HM Revenue & Customs (or you local variation of) for tax evasion. Personally, I\'d rather pay the duty and tax.[/quote]

Oh! I forgot that I live in a duty free zone (Canary Islands)

Maybe I´m safe from customs.

Edit:

[quote]Quote from liz on December 9, 2011, 16:23

I should also point out that one of the nice side-benefits of the Raspberry Pi\'s low price is that in most places, it\'s well below the threshold over which you\'d have to pay duty anyway. So as long as you\'re ordering in small numbers, you should be fine.[/quote]

I thought we were limited to 1 RPi.

abishur

Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:37 pm

I believe she\'s talking long term here :)
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

mactalla

Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:45 pm

While we\'re talking about the cost of shipping, here in Canada we get hit with tax at $20CAD. So even the model A would be subject to tax. When it\'s a gift, then that threshold jumps to $60. Packaging is irrelevant.

Also, generally speaking, Canadians hate UPS with a vengeance. They will charge a brokerage fee of $7 on a $20 item and $19 on a $40 item. Oh, and the C.O.D. fee ($4). Whereas Canada Post\'s fee for the same thing is closer to $5 (and sometimes doesn\'t appear to be charged at all).

Liz, I think I saw mention you\'d be mailing them Royal Mail. I do hope that remains the case or at least will be an option.

liz

Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:53 pm

If you ordered stickers from us and live outside the EU, you\'ll already know what one of our customs forms looks like - and you\'ll have seen that we do not add any cost into the value box above what you have paid for the thing we\'re sending you. So there\'s no extras like postage or insurance in the box at all.

johnbeetem

Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:08 pm

[quote]Quote from obarthelemy on December 9, 2011, 15:47
Packing suggestions:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/07/18/hp_packaging/
http://www.techeblog.com/index.php/tech ... ic-package[/quote]

LOL! That reminds me of a time long ago when the computer lab I worked at received a large box from ADDS (IIRC). We were all excited and opened the box, which had large blocks of foam surrounding a rectangular cavity containing... nothing. We looked at the invoice and everything was back-ordered, so their computer sent us an empty box.

Lab staff used the box as a cooler for soft drinks.

johnbeetem

Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:15 pm

[quote]Quote from Jongoleur on December 9, 2011, 16:09
\"Commercial Samples of no value\" is also a good one.....
[/quote]

I once received a PhD thesis from Australia. The package had a huge rubber stamp saying:
[quote]Contains Thesis: No commercial value.[/quote]
That\'s a pretty painful commentary on advanced degrees.

johnbeetem

Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:19 pm

Serious question: are shipments outside the EU exempt from VAT? That would help soften the other \"insult fees\" a bit.

walney

Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:36 pm

Absolutely - VAT is only chargeable within the EU. Lucky us :(

Vindicator

Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:38 pm

I live in California and have ordered LED\'s from Hongkong and never seen a fee on my packages other than airmail, just wondering if there are any fee/duties between USA and UK.
The packages were all under $10.00us including shipping.
I will have to check USPS and see if they have any info.
If you are more worried about ,spelling, punctuation or grammar you have probably already missed the point so please just move on.

nullstring

Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:08 pm

[quote]Quote from Vindicator on December 9, 2011, 20:38
I live in California and have ordered LED\'s from Hongkong and never seen a fee on my packages other than airmail, just wondering if there are any fee/duties between USA and UK.
The packages were all under $10.00us including shipping.
I will have to check USPS and see if they have any info.[/quote]

Packages that come from China typically have fraudulent declared value. With this they will never be charged any fees.

Now, I don\'t know what the threshold for customs is in the USA.
Can anyone enlighten me? (Google doesn\'t seem to be helping).

scotty6435

Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:25 pm

Do you know if UK deliveries will be made by Royal Mail? Insurance is an option with the RM and it means I can pick it up from the depot instead of traveling 20 miles to the nearest courier pickup point! :)

Return to “General discussion”