spl23
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: PIXEL FOR PC AND MAC

Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:49 am

rubikwizard wrote:Thank you. All sorted and working now, although I have no sound. Really fast and smooth! Would be great to see a HDD install-able version.
Sounds like there's something in your sound device or its driver which aren't playing nicely with ALSA - it might be worth having a look to see if it needs a proprietary driver which isn't in the default image.

Given how popular this seems to have been so far - which has been quite a surprise - I'm sure we'll be doing an installable version in the future. You might want to have a look at the comments on the blog post in the meantime - someone has already worked out a manual install procedure and posted it on there.

SkyRise

Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:08 pm

Looks like the Beeb picked up on this too...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-38403423

spl23

Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:01 pm

SkyRise wrote:Looks like the Beeb picked up on this too...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-38403423
Yeah - shame about the huge number of technical errors in the article, but then again, it's not like everyone in the UK has to pay them for their work or anything. Oh no - hang on... ;)

SkyRise

Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:18 pm

spl23 wrote:Yeah - shame about the huge number of technical errors in the article, but then again, it's not like everyone in the UK has to pay them for their work or anything. Oh no - hang on... ;)
Hehehe... ;)

MarkTF

Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:53 pm

From the viewpoint of someone who has been running LXDE / Debian (lubuntu as well as Debian's own spin) on old iron for years, my initial reaction to the Pixel for PC announcement was "Does the world really need yet another Linux distribution?". My more positive second reaction was that more FOSS in the world is a good thing and the foundation does have some influence that may drive adoption of this particular spin.

energyi

Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:55 pm

spl23 wrote:
rubikwizard wrote:Thank you. All sorted and working now, although I have no sound. Really fast and smooth! Would be great to see a HDD install-able version.
Sounds like there's something in your sound device or its driver which aren't playing nicely with ALSA - it might be worth having a look to see if it needs a proprietary driver which isn't in the default image.

Given how popular this seems to have been so far - which has been quite a surprise - I'm sure we'll be doing an installable version in the future. You might want to have a look at the comments on the blog post in the meantime - someone has already worked out a manual install procedure and posted it on there.
Had similar challenges with Audio on an old HP Mini running Pixel OS off USB. Good news is that most other things seem to work. Octane benchmark score was 3089 while for comparison a Raspbian Jessie May 2016 Rpi3 Octane benchmark score was 1500.

For the Audio I am able to get Banshee audio to work and Archive.org audio through Chromium. Can't tell if that Chromium audio is flash or html5. But can't get Youtube audio to work.

I feel like this Jessie Pixel on x86 is great. Gives life to older systems with keyboards and USB functionality with a familiar OS. Isn't for testing, programing or accessing GPIO flexibility, but still has a place for computing. Question for this board is where to discuss Pixel for PC and Mac?

Thanks for the discussion.

Best,

energyi
energyi

spl23

Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:13 pm

energyi wrote:I feel like this Jessie Pixel on x86 is great. Gives life to older systems with keyboards and USB functionality with a familiar OS. Isn't for testing, programing or accessing GPIO flexibility, but still has a place for computing. Question for this board is where to discuss Pixel for PC and Mac?
For now, this thread! But I think we're going to need to set up a dedicated subforum for it in the not-too-distant future.

newalbanytom

Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:57 pm

is it possible to change the fstab file to automount my win7 drives?? I guess what I'm asking are all system files read/write?? If I change a file,say .bashrc, will the change persist? I think that's how you spell it. And yes I am indeed a noob!! Actually I'm an old noob.

tom
Tom Martin
Lewis Center,Ohio 43035 USA

spl23

Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:02 pm

newalbanytom wrote:is it possible to change the fstab file to automount my win7 drives?? I guess what I'm asking are all system files read/write?? If I change a file,say .bashrc, will the change persist? I think that's how you spell it. And yes I am indeed a noob!! Actually I'm an old noob.

tom
If you are using a USB stick with the ISO on, changes will persist across reboots, as the installation process sets up a "persistence" partition on the stick. If you are using a DVD, changes will not persist across reboots (unless you manually create a persistence partition somewhere, for which the instructions are in this month's issue of The Magpi magazine, available as a free download from our site).

As for mounting win7 drives - yes, almost certainly possible. I'd have to Google how you do it though, so I may as well just let you do that... ;)

In all seriousness, though - be careful. If you do mount your Windows drives, don't mount them as being writable - I can't guarantee the image won't start writing temp files onto them or something similar, because we've not tested that configuration. (It *shouldn't* do anything like that, but we haven't tested it, so you've been warned!)

lumsdot

Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:54 pm

I used RUFUS to create a bootable USB (using fat32) and it works great, but the settings in Chromium and Sound Settings don't persist
on reboot.

I tried downloading Etcher but the download takes forever and keeps failing

Had to try a few different Wifi dongles , until I found one that was detected.

spl23

Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:30 pm

lumsdot wrote:I used RUFUS to create a bootable USB (using fat32) and it works great, but the settings in Chromium and Sound Settings don't persist
on reboot.

I tried downloading Etcher but the download takes forever and keeps failing
I suspect RUFUS may be expanding the image to fill the whole USB stick, leaving no room for the persistence partition.

Etcher should do what you need - it's a pretty small download, so keep trying; sounds like a network problem somewhere.

ccpetersen

Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:59 pm

spl23 wrote:
ccpetersen wrote:Alas no luck on an iMac. No boot option. Would running rEFInd help?
It certainly won't hurt - worth a try. Please let us know if it does make a difference!
No joy with rEFInd. It does see the usb drive with the Pixel image but will not boot claiming problems with legacy images.

spl23

Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:04 pm

ccpetersen wrote:
spl23 wrote:
ccpetersen wrote:Alas no luck on an iMac. No boot option. Would running rEFInd help?
It certainly won't hurt - worth a try. Please let us know if it does make a difference!
No joy with rEFInd. It does see the usb drive with the Pixel image but will not boot claiming problems with legacy images.
That's useful information - thanks. We'll try and sort this out early in the New Year.

lumsdot

Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:09 pm

persistence now works fine with Etcher thanks.

cyrano

Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:58 pm

MarkTF wrote:From the viewpoint of someone who has been running LXDE / Debian (lubuntu as well as Debian's own spin) on old iron for years, my initial reaction to the Pixel for PC announcement was "Does the world really need yet another Linux distribution?". My more positive second reaction was that more FOSS in the world is a good thing and the foundation does have some influence that may drive adoption of this particular spin.
Yes. And maybe, just maybe the Pi foundation has the kind of traction to make 'linux on the desktop' happen in 2017. After all, there are millions of Pi's out there. There's no other linux distro with that kind of dedicated and inventive user base.

That would be a very nice new year's present!

jojopi

Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:31 pm

I do not understand why there is a pre-set password for the pi user in this image.

The password is not required for "PIXEL" login, and there is no raspi-config to disable auto-login. The password is not required by sudo. The password is not useful for SSH login, because it is not running, and there is neither raspi-config nor /boot/ssh to enable it. In the event that the user does manage to enable SSH, warnings appear that the pre-set password is insecure!

What purpose does the pre-set password serve? To whom is it useful?

mattmiller

Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:38 am

em - I'd guess that this being a developed from Pi Raspbian - it just came with it. Since it does no harm/effect-then no effort has been put into removing it at this stage.

Whershey

Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:43 am

rpi x86 working in VMware Fusion

set up for Debian 8 (not 64bit)

works good!

Gavinmc42

Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:29 am

Eben has realised he cannot make enough Pi's fast enough to take over the World's Desktops, so he has made a Desktop OS that runs on PC and Mac's :D

Now RPF needs to make a 64bit Pixel for PC, Mac's and Pi3's.

Anyone using the old parallel printer port?
Use them for GPIO?
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

riklaunim

Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:33 am

Gavinmc42 wrote:Now RPF needs to make a 64bit Pixel for PC, Mac's and Pi3's.
Don't count on that to much. Compared to modern desktops it's bit "crude and old" so even among Linux users Pixels isn't much of an interest.

And if you want to make a fully fledged Linux distribution you will need time and money to do that - which is actually a lot.

tarmo2011

Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:38 am

This is perfect, works fast and even flash content works like a charm.
Sadly, some pay-to-view service still rely on silverlight, soooooo..... is there any help on getting pipelight installed on pixel for pc?

Pithagoros

Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:23 am

I've just attempted to pull pixel over the top of my crouton/chroot Ubuntu 14.04 with LXDE on a chromebook and killed it.

I've since reloaded the 14.04 and got myself back to where I started.
Does anyone know of a web resource that I can look at to get a clue about how get pixel on it properly?

Thanks,

fruitoftheloom

Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:43 am

tarmo2011 wrote:This is perfect, works fast and even flash content works like a charm.
Sadly, some pay-to-view service still rely on silverlight, soooooo..... is there any help on getting pipelight installed on pixel for pc?
Pixel is based of Debian Jessie, therefore any guides for Debian should be followed.

At present there is no Forum for this Operating System designed for x86 machines ;)
My only "PC" is an Asus ChromeBit running ChromeOS, cloudcentric at its best !
Rockchip Quad-Core RK3288C SoC as used in ASUS Chromebook C201 & Chromebook Flip C100PA as well as the Tinker SBC

tarmo2011

Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:56 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
tarmo2011 wrote:This is perfect, works fast and even flash content works like a charm.
Pixel is based of Debian Jessie, therefore any guides for Debian should be followed.

At present there is no Forum for this Operating System designed for x86 machines ;)
Problem with this that I get 404 error on http://ppa.launchpad.net/pipelight/stab ... 6/Packages
There must be something I am doing wrong..

DougieLawson

Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:16 pm

Gavinmc42 wrote:Eben has realised he cannot make enough Pi's fast enough to take over the World's Desktops, so he has made a Desktop OS that runs on PC and Mac's :D

Now RPF needs to make a 64bit Pixel for PC, Mac's and Pi3's.

Anyone using the old parallel printer port?
Use them for GPIO?
I see this as being more a replacement for Knoppix (which I've used for many years to repair things). If folks really want a Linux laptop they should go for full fat Ubuntu Yakkety or Linux Mint. Both of those are DebIan derivatives and look and feel enough like Raspbian that most folks won't be too confused by the differences.

The Pixel bootable DVD/USB stick is a good idea but I don't see it as being a long-term distro.
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

Since 2012: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Zero*2, 3B*3

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Do not send private messages.

Return to “General discussion”