bobbintb

slow browser on 1st gen pi

Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:29 pm

I have a Raspi 1 model B. I need just a browser and rdp/vnc. I used Raspian to do a headless install and then added enough gui component to get a browser but it is painfully slow. I had to overclock it to 900 to make it usable and I think that's causing issues. I was thinking about using ChromiumOS or something but I can't find anything suitable for Raspi 1. Is there anything like a really stripped down kiosk mode or something? I just need it to run a browser and remote and that's it. What are my options, other than buying a new pi?

fruitoftheloom

Re: slow browser on 1st gen pi

Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:41 pm

bobbintb wrote:I have a Raspi 1 model B. I need just a browser and rdp/vnc. I used Raspian to do a headless install and then added enough gui component to get a browser but it is painfully slow. I had to overclock it to 900 to make it usable and I think that's causing issues. I was thinking about using ChromiumOS or something but I can't find anything suitable for Raspi 1. Is there anything like a really stripped down kiosk mode or something? I just need it to run a browser and remote and that's it. What are my options, other than buying a new pi?
Tine Core Linux - PiCore:

http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php?board=57.0

http://tinycorelinux.net/8.x/armv6/releases/RPi
Rather than negativity think outside the box !
RPi 4B 4GB (SSD Boot)..
Asus ChromeBox 3 Celeron is my other computer...

bobbintb

Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:41 pm

Thanks, I'll give that a shot.

levelcrow

Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:51 pm

Have you tried the Kweb browser? I don't know what your definition of slow is, but by my standards it is decent even on the Raspberry Pi 1B.

viewtopic.php?t=40860

I feel like we have something to look forwards to in terms of browsers as well. The vc4 driver is still in the works but it is maturing. It will provide OpenGL 2.1 to the Pi. A GPU focused webengine called Servo is currently being developed by Mozilla, with planned support for OpenGL 2.1. It sounds like the Mozilla plan is to rework Firefox to use Servo.

In theory; what should happen is the vc4 driver will develop all of the closed driver capabilities, become the default driver, and all Raspberry Pis will become OpenGL 2.1 enabled by default. Firefox will switch over to Servo and become truly GPU accelerated, with its hardware acceleration supported on Raspberry Pis.

Then you and I should be able to have a fantastic web experience even on a Raspberry Pi 1B, even better than with Kweb - which is already pretty decent.

bobbintb

Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:26 am

I'll take a look at the browser as well.

As far as tinylinux goes, what package manager does it use? It doesn't seem to have apt-get. I tried asking on the forums there but registration seems to be broken or something.

fruitoftheloom

Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:11 am

bobbintb wrote:I'll take a look at the browser as well.

As far as tinylinux goes, what package manager does it use? It doesn't seem to have apt-get. I tried asking on the forums there but registration seems to be broken or something.
http://www.zdnet.com/article/hands-on-w ... spberry-pi
Rather than negativity think outside the box !
RPi 4B 4GB (SSD Boot)..
Asus ChromeBox 3 Celeron is my other computer...

ejolson

Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:11 pm

levelcrow wrote:Then you and I should be able to have a fantastic web experience even on a Raspberry Pi 1B, even better than with Kweb - which is already pretty decent.
I think the 512MB RAM of the Pi 1 isn't enough to run a modern web browser. Devoting part of that already small amount to OpenGL, compressed swap and RAM disks is not likely to make things better. On the other hand Kweb sounds like a good idea.

ghans

Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:35 am

I too doubt browser will ever be comfortable to use on first generation Pis. I still own a model with 256 MB RAM ,
goog luck surfing the web with that.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

ejolson

Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:33 pm

ghans wrote:I too doubt browser will ever be comfortable to use on first generation Pis. I still own a model with 256 MB RAM ,
goog luck surfing the web with that.

ghans
It would be nice if, at least, the official Raspberry Pi pages were compatible with a minimal browser such as dillo so that someone with an original Pi 1 or Zero could keep up with the blog and access the learning resources there. I know the forum is powered by some sort of complicated framework, but it would be nice if the forum were accessible as well. I've always found it odd that compatibility with dillo wasn't of higher importance when designing the Pi website.

Return to “General discussion”