SB2020

Recommended games from the Repository?

Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:47 pm

Hi, I was browsing the repository with aptitude and my sun looked over my shoulder and spotted the games category - "ooh games! Can we play something?" We tried one or two but the quantity is a bit overwhelming, so I'm asking for recommendations. Whilst I'm happy with roguelikes and minesweeper, I get the feeling he was hoping for something a bit more arcadey. Kids these days have a seemingly infinte supply of free flash games at their disposal.

I've seen the list in the Magpi but that doesn't say whether they are any good! I've also tried searching for linux games, but the 'coolest' looking games require higher specs than the Pi offers.

So, any actual recommendations for games that run well on the Pi that might impress an eight year old?

SB2020

Re: Recommended games from the Repository?

Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:46 pm

We just discovered Powermanga a vertical shooter with fun graphics and sound. Loads of power ups and varied baddies. Thumbs up from the kids (and Dad).

Runs well under X, haven't figured out how to put it fullscreen yet.

http://linux.tlk.fr/games/Powermanga/

Exactly the kind of thing we were looking for. More like this please!

SiriusHardware

Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:56 pm

'Geki2' (vertical scrolling shoot-em up like Xenon or Xevious) and 'Geki3' (sidescrolling shoot-em up a la R-Type) are both pretty good (and were specifically described as good in the Magpi article).

Also 'Toppler' is a remarkably faithful clone of the addictive tower-climbing platformer 'Nebulus', which was originally out for the 8 and 16 bit 80s computers.

SiriusHardware

Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:04 pm

I would also have liked to recommend 'Netmaze' as it appears to be a close port of the brilliant multiplayer Atari ST game 'Midi Maze', which used the ST's built in MIDI ports to form a multi machine network: Smiley faced killer balls stalked each other around a maze.

This was the earliest multiplayer, multi machine deathmatch combat that I can ever remember, and several of us used to drive from miles apart each with a full set of Atari ST, RGB monitors, etc, to set up a Midi Maze party.

However, I can't actually get Netmaze to start as a single player game - it opens up three windows and then just freezes - maybe it only runs as a network game? Anyone got it working on the Pi?

dom
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:18 pm

Return to “General discussion”