Jessie

Re: DTS-MA passthrough

Wed May 15, 2013 11:17 pm

I agree it would be a real nice feature to have, but there are still quite a few devices (aside from the R Pi) where DTS-MA pass-through still doesn't work. So this makes me think the solution isn't as simple as everyone thinks.

DTS pass-through doesn't work on OUYA in either standard or MA form. For a while I know MA didn't work on OSX (I have no idea if this has ben addressed yet.) Many WD set-top boxes it doesn't work on either. The list goes on. Pretty much x86 windows is the easiest way to get DTS MA pass-through.

Tinwarble

Wed May 15, 2013 11:33 pm

Jessie wrote:I agree it would be a real nice feature to have, but there are still quite a few devices (aside from the R Pi) where DTS-MA pass-through still doesn't work. So this makes me think the solution isn't as simple as everyone thinks.

DTS pass-through doesn't work on OUYA in either standard or MA form. For a while I know MA didn't work on OSX (I have no idea if this has ben addressed yet.) Many WD set-top boxes it doesn't work on either. The list goes on. Pretty much x86 windows is the easiest way to get DTS MA pass-through.

It doesn't work on the Ouya only because they haven't implemented it yet. But they have said that they are going to look into implementing it in an update.

As for it not working on WD players, that is a different issue. They can't implement it on those boxes because of a DTS license issue. They can't have DTS-HD pass-through because those boxes have a DTS license but no DTS-HD license. Pass-through by itself doesn't have to have a license, but if you have a DTS license you can't pass-through DTS-HD without a license. However, the new WD Play does pass-through DTS-HD (as well as DTS), but doesn't downmix.

Jessie

Thu May 16, 2013 12:42 am

Tinwarble wrote:
Jessie wrote:I agree it would be a real nice feature to have, but there are still quite a few devices (aside from the R Pi) where DTS-MA pass-through still doesn't work. So this makes me think the solution isn't as simple as everyone thinks.

It doesn't work on the Ouya only because they haven't implemented it yet. But they have said that they are going to look into implementing it in an update.

As for it not working on WD players, that is a different issue. They can't implement it on those boxes because of a DTS license issue. They can't have DTS-HD pass-through because those boxes have a DTS license but no DTS-HD license. Pass-through by itself doesn't have to have a license, but if you have a DTS license you can't pass-through DTS-HD without a license. However, the new WD Play does pass-through DTS-HD (as well as DTS), but doesn't downmix.
I'm pretty sure Tegra 3 / Android devices existed before OUYA so I doubt it has anything to do with anything other than the Android build of XBMC.

All these devices lack DTS-MA passthrough for one reason or another but the point of my post was to show that it isn't as simple has having someone say "computer enable DTS-MA". Details were lacking for a reason, because arguing non-points gets us no closer to having it. The comparisons are still fair, until why it doesn't work is pinpointed you don't even know who to hand your money to.

Tinwarble

Thu May 16, 2013 1:31 am

Jessie wrote: I'm pretty sure Tegra 3 / Android devices existed before OUYA so I doubt it has anything to do with anything other than the Android build of XBMC.

All these devices lack DTS-MA passthrough for one reason or another but the point of my post was to show that it isn't as simple has having someone say "computer enable DTS-MA". Details were lacking for a reason, because arguing non-points gets us no closer to having it. The comparisons are still fair, until why it doesn't work is pinpointed you don't even know who to hand your money to.
Yes, but Ouya has answered the question about this by stating
Thanks for the note - DTS passthrough is not currently supported on OUYA, though we are evaluating support for this and other multichannel audio decoding solutions for future release on OUYA. Your feedback ensures that our gamers' voices are heard, so we'll certainly take it into consideration as we chart our roadmap.

Best,

- Carmelo
OUYA
And it does matter why certain devices don't pass-through DTS-HD as some can and just don't because of a licensing issue and some can't because of a problem actually implementing. And I don't see the comparison as being fair, because as I stated, the WD Play Does pass-through DTS-HD, and it is not a "non-point" because there is a difference between "can't" and "doesn't".

ijhammo

Wed May 22, 2013 11:04 pm

+1 for DTS HD Audio Support. more than happy to contribute and/or pay a license fee for it.

I REALLY dont want to have to build a windows box for this :(

jhspyhard

Thu May 23, 2013 4:43 pm

+1 for DTS-HD MA and TrueHD passthrough.

I had a question on how the GPU hardware decoding of DTS would impact DTS-HD MA. When the RPi developers use the decode_DTS=0x******** boot config keys, does this allow the RPi to natively decode the HD version as well? Or is this key PURELY for hardware decoding of standard DTS?

It has been over nine months since this thread was originally started, and I was curious to know if there have been any other forward progress, be it research into realistically what it would take to make this happen, or any actual work on it. Is the HTPi community any closer to this? As many others have stated, I would love to financially support the RPi Foundation to this end. I am guessing that with the Foundation's silence on the Kickstater idea, that the Foundation has tossed it out as a possibility? Is there anything else we as a community can do to help push this up in the Dev Team's priority list?

LOL. I am assuming that open-sourcing the firmware so we could do it ourselves is completely out of the question? ;)
Jessie wrote:Many WD set-top boxes it doesn't work on either. The list goes on. Pretty much x86 windows is the easiest way to get DTS MA pass-through.
DTS-HD MA pass through seems to work just fine on my older WDTV Live+ and most of the other WDTV family devices I have had a chance to play with, though I have seen issues with TrueHD pass through on them.
Consulting: If you can't provide a solution, there is good money to be made in prolonging the problem.

Jessie

Fri May 24, 2013 3:57 am

Tinwarble wrote:
Jessie wrote: I'm pretty sure Tegra 3 / Android devices existed before OUYA so I doubt it has anything to do with anything other than the Android build of XBMC.

Yes, but Ouya has answered the question about this by stating
Thanks for the note - DTS passthrough is not currently supported on OUYA, though we are evaluating support for this and other multichannel audio decoding solutions for future release on OUYA. Your feedback ensures that our gamers' voices are heard, so we'll certainly take it into consideration as we chart our roadmap.

Best,

- Carmelo
OUYA
And it does matter why certain devices don't pass-through DTS-HD as some can and just don't because of a licensing issue and some can't because of a problem actually implementing. And I don't see the comparison as being fair, because as I stated, the WD Play Does pass-through DTS-HD, and it is not a "non-point" because there is a difference between "can't" and "doesn't".
Canned responses from OUYA. Yes there is a non-point there because none of these devices can't pass-through they are all capable it is all a matter of software. So as of right now you should most likely be petitioning the XBMC people for this to happen and because I don't really think DTS MA pass-through has anything with the R Pi (100% my opinion I will admit.) But if I'm wrong James or Dom (or anyone else who works at Broadcom) will show up here and shut me down and it wouldn't have been the first time.

Tinwarble

Fri May 24, 2013 12:53 pm

Jessie wrote: Canned responses from OUYA. Yes there is a non-point there because none of these devices can't pass-through they are all capable it is all a matter of software. So as of right now you should most likely be petitioning the XBMC people for this to happen and because I don't really think DTS MA pass-through has anything with the R Pi (100% my opinion I will admit.) But if I'm wrong James or Dom (or anyone else who works at Broadcom) will show up here and shut me down and it wouldn't have been the first time.

That's were you are confusing things.

The RPi can't due to the Broadcom firmware, it's not a XBMC issue.

WDTV players DON'T pass-through DTS-HD (with the exception of the WDTVLive Play) because of a license conflict and it doesn't have anything to do with firmware/software. http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Play/ ... d-p/543176

The Ouya doesn't because they have not enabled HDMI pass-through in their Android ROM, and is why it doesn't pass-through ANY audio (DD, DTS, etc.), it only software downmixes the audio and sends it as PCM or LPCM.

And if you would have read this post, or other posts related to this issue here and in the XMBC forum, it has already been acknowledged that the reason the the RPi doesn't pass-through DTS-HD or TrueHD is due the Broadcom firmware, which will have to modded by either the RPF or Broadcom.

Rehevkor_

Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:10 pm

I've seen discussion of this all over the place and a lot of confusion about the actual reason it isn't supported, but I haven't seen anything about RPi, XBMC, or Broadcom making progress on a solution. Has this feature been abandoned, or am I just overlooking a more recent discussion? Thanks.

scottuknz

Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:06 am

We can all +1 till blue in face but can collective just not pay for it.. :mrgreen:

Unsure who needs to do the work but very happy to arrange a kickstarter if someone can point us to the required developer to set price / licence fee to pay for development work.

Dom is this a viable option? outsourcing the work?

+1+2+3+4+5

Regards
A humble geek :geek:

dom
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:22 am

scottuknz wrote:We can all +1 till blue in face but can collective just not pay for it.. :mrgreen:

Unsure who needs to do the work but very happy to arrange a kickstarter if someone can point us to the required developer to set price / licence fee to pay for development work.

+1+2+3+4+5

Regards
This may interest you:
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 04#p395577

scottuknz

Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:35 am

dom wrote:
scottuknz wrote:We can all +1 till blue in face but can collective just not pay for it.. :mrgreen:

+1+2+3+4+5

Regards
This may interest you:
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 04#p395577
by dom » 29 Jul 2013 10:12
johnbanks wrote:
There are some heavy hitters involved in this thread so I'm just taking the opportunity ....
Do any of you guys know when we'll get HD Audio pass through?
Or, are any of you guys in a position to put pressure on for this?

It is being actively worked on. We've got an intern in for the summer who's on this full time now, but as you can imagine,
it's not a trivial job and has a steep learning curve. Hopefully he'll get it working (and I'll help him as much as is necessary).

Well if team need free lunch or something. happy to help :lol:

Regards
Excited :geek:

goujam

Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:29 am

Now this is some good news I've already replaced my wdtv with my pi. Which I'm happy with now hopefully ill be getting hd audio !!!

Danielowenuk

Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:17 am

Great news. Would still love this.

nooryani84

Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:14 am

So will this still mean that we need a DTS capable TV or receiver to hardware decode DTS? Will the Rasberry Pi be able to hardware decode this?

I believe a lot of people just use their Pi via a TV that doesn't have DTS. If necessary, maybe a wiki page should be created with alternatives(preferably cheap) for these people.

goujam

Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:35 am

nooryani84 wrote:So will this still mean that we need a DTS capable TV or receiver to hardware decode DTS? Will the Rasberry Pi be able to hardware decode this?

I believe a lot of people just use their Pi via a TV that doesn't have DTS. If necessary, maybe a wiki page should be created with alternatives(preferably cheap) for these people.
This will have nothing to do with DTS decoding. This will simply send HD audio through the HDMI to be decoded by another device.

I think the chance of getting DTS decoding is very slim but improvement's on software decoding are still going on !

nooryani84

Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:12 pm

What a shame. Luckily it seems as though Raspbmc is able to play 1080p DTS content, although I haven't tried this via the wireless adapter yet.

nooryani84

Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:42 pm

Wonder if this would do the trick? Do these things really work or do they simulate etc.?

http://www.amazon.com/Panlong-Audio-Dig ... B00AMC2J1Y

nooryani84

Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:17 pm

Well, seems as though my DTS worries are gone once I started using NFS :)

Danielowenuk

Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:26 pm

Any update?

I don't mind chipping in for a whip to whip the intern with :)

dom

Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:55 pm

Danielowenuk wrote:Any update?
Unfortunately it's not looking promising.
It seems that DTS-MA and TrueHD both require an 8 channel, 192kHz audio stream (even for 48kHz audio) which is something that's never been tried on the hardware,
and so far, doesn't seem to be working.

As a consolation, we should be able to get multi channel PCM working (e.g. for multichannel AAC or PCM streams).

rickwookie

Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:25 pm

dom wrote:Unfortunately it's not looking promising.
It seems that DTS-MA and TrueHD both require an 8 channel, 192kHz audio stream (even for 48kHz audio) which is something that's never been tried on the hardware,
and so far, doesn't seem to be working.
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! After all this wait.

dgorst

Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:57 am

That seems a bit odd. According to Wikipedia (yes, I know) the Bluray spec only supports up to 24khz, 8-channel, 96kHz for Dolby TrueHD. So I presume all Bluray players would have to upsample it before sending it out?

dom

Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:24 pm

dgorst wrote:That seems a bit odd. According to Wikipedia (yes, I know) the Bluray spec only supports up to 24khz, 8-channel, 96kHz for Dolby TrueHD. So I presume all Bluray players would have to upsample it before sending it out?
The audio isn't upsampled (it's compressed), but it uses the same clock rate as 8 channel 192kHz PCM audio. Even though it's compressed.
For typical 48kHz audio, more than 3/4 of the data transmitted is padding...

boelle

Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:47 pm

Q: is say raspmbc able to output an DTS-MA as LPMC ?

what excatly happens when i set audio to 7.1 and i play a DTS MA track?

Return to “General discussion”