LuisGC

Re: DTS-MA passthrough

Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:40 pm

Just to add my +1
I wouldn't mind paying to get HD sound bitstreaming.
This doesn't seem to be gaining a lot of traction, though...

crazy33

Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:36 pm

Hi,

I don't have Raspberry but I think i will get one soon.
I wanted to know what happens when we try to play MKV with DTS-MA sound ?
No sound ? Or "down" to DTS ?

Theo X

Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:24 am

crazy33 wrote:Hi,

"down" to DTS!

crazy33

Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:17 am

Theo X wrote:
crazy33 wrote:Hi,

"down" to DTS!
yes excuse but I don't know wich term use for conversion DTS-MA -> DTS ^^

So, is it CPU or GPU who is "converting" DTS-MA to DTS ? Does it create issue during movie ?

=> +1 It will be very nice if rPI can passthrough DTS-MA or D-THD

Theo X

Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:42 am

crazy33 wrote: So, is it CPU or GPU who is "converting" DTS-MA to DTS ? Does it create issue during movie ?

=> +1 It will be very nice if rPI can passthrough DTS-MA or D-THD
I agree with you!
I don't know how the DTS stream is converted, but there was no issue during playback of a 1080p mkv via network.

goujam

Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:04 am

DTS-MA has a DTS CORE which is actually a higher bit stream than just DTS. So the PI takes the DTS core and passes that through to the AV reciever. However this is not the lossless audio that DTS-MA gives.

The problem with the PI is when you try and play a TRUEHD (dolby digital lossless) file, it does not have a "core" so the PI has to convert it which kills the CPU and the file just does not play.

Would love to see both truehd and DTS-MA pass through it would make the PI a viable media player for a home cinema and any other room in the house!!

crazy33

Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:12 am

Thanks for explanation !

Why DTS can be passthrough and not DTS-MA ? License limitation ? not a hardware I think..

goujam

Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:29 am

crazy33 wrote:Thanks for explanation !

Why DTS can be passthrough and not DTS-MA ? License limitation ? not a hardware I think..
Im not 100% sure, it may well be liecence issues with DTS-MA but im sure there isnt the same issues with TRUEHD. It may just be the firmware need to change to know what to do when it see's these formatt's. It has already been said that the hardware is capable at the start of this thread so lets hope it becomes reality.

But I doubt this is high on the priority list, the PI is primarily a education tool and HD audio wouldnt come high on teaching for the PI.

crazy33

Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:47 am

Yes indeed..

And MKV + 1080p + DTS is awesome for media center at 25$ !

I keep an eye on this thread ..and I will buy a rPI :D

Danielowenuk

Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:14 pm

It has already been explained that it's a coding issue, the software currently doesn't support it. I very much doubt bitstream passthrough would require a licence.

goujam

Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:25 pm

Danielowenuk wrote:

It has already been explained that it's a coding issue, the software currently doesn't support it. I very much doubt bitstream passthrough would require a licence.
According to WDTV it does require a licence to have pass through DTS-MA, and DTS only allow devices with Blu ray drives to have them. However other devices such as popcorn hour manage to get around this!

andsoitgoes

Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:46 am

I wonder the same. This CAN'T be this insane, can it? It would be monumental in our world... Please, pretty please, make it so? I can't imagine it would be a negative, it would take some heavy processing off of the Pi, too.

Danielowenuk

Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:14 pm

Any movement on this?

Dom?

dhead

Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:26 pm

Hi Raspberry P Foundation.

I would love to give my donation to make this happen.
Just create a Kickstarter page or choose any other path to collect funds for this feature.
By all means I would happily support this and donate if you choose to use 50% of the collected funds to give free RPi's for schools and students.

:)

Danielowenuk

Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:52 pm

Any chance of a response?

Mangoat

Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:49 pm

Another request for some more info on the status of this please.

dom
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:54 pm

We'd love to do it.
There's no one with time to do it now.
It's low priority, so is not likely to happen soon.

TrooP

Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:54 pm

dammit!! i ordered my RPI just a couple of days ago thinking this wasnt a problem on that :(

anyways i would also pay for a DTS-HD MA and TrueHD license!

lanlafi

Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:52 pm

I'd also like to use DTS-HD MA and Dolby TruHD bitstreaming (Passthrough).

Could someone tell me, where is the already existing Passthrough code (e.g. for Dolby Digital)? Is it in omxplayer source, or the recently opened libraries, or in the closed source firmware?

Thank you in advance.

therage78

Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:10 am

Appreciate everyone is busy with this fantastic project, but i'd also like to express my desire for DTS-HD MA passthrough (if it makes a difference?).

Keep up the stellar work!

Paul

dom

Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:14 pm

lanlafi wrote:Could someone tell me, where is the already existing Passthrough code (e.g. for Dolby Digital)? Is it in omxplayer source, or the recently opened libraries, or in the closed source firmware?
HDMI is directly controlled by GPU, so that's where the magic needs to happen.

I've been studying the code and trying to determine the differences between DTS and DTS-HD MA and have some idea of what need doing.
I'm hoping to do some experiments over Christmas (fortunately my receiver at home supports it), but it depends on the urgency of other Pi related bugs/features whether I'll be able to do it.

therage78

Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:18 pm

dom wrote:
lanlafi wrote:Could someone tell me, where is the already existing Passthrough code (e.g. for Dolby Digital)? Is it in omxplayer source, or the recently opened libraries, or in the closed source firmware?
HDMI is directly controlled by GPU, so that's where the magic needs to happen.

I've been studying the code and trying to determine the differences between DTS and DTS-HD MA and have some idea of what need doing.
I'm hoping to do some experiments over Christmas (fortunately my receiver at home supports it), but it depends on the urgency of other Pi related bugs/features whether I'll be able to do it.
LEGEND!! Go on..you know you want to. ;)

Peachmeister

Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:53 pm

I would also like to officially express my own interest and add my own

+1 - I would gladly pay for this!!

As a matter of interest, Can one of you guru's answer something for me please...

I am completely new to RPi, having ordered mine 2 days ago.

I want it to run xbmc and output to my Plasma TV but I don't have a modern AV amp with hdmi inputs / output so the hdmi will go straight to the screen. This means I need to get the audio from the soundcard somehow. Because I dont have a modern AV amplifier that decodes TrueHD or DTS MA I will need either to get an expensive soundcard which decodes these with phono outs straight to my amps 6/8 channel input or use a soundcrd with an optical output into my amp and forego the HD formats.

Comments please or by PM

Thanks

Huffster

Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:14 am

Since this is turning into a petition of sorts, I'd like to express my interest in DTS-MA and DolbyTrue HD passthrough as well. Thank you for checking into this Dom over Xmas and good luck to anyone else working at it too. If it's a matter of paying one man-week, as described in the beginning of this thread, please consider a kickstarter campaign. If it's a matter of licensing, best of negotiations with the companies involved , and I'm sure we'd all be happy to pay if necessary, like with the VC1 and MPEG2 licenses.

beniwtv

Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:10 am

I second the notion, DTS-MA and TrueHD would be nice.

I wouldn't mind paying for a licence to use it, or fund the project (maybe Kickstarter).

Return to “General discussion”