Danielowenuk
Posts: 18
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:05 pm

DTS-MA passthrough

Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:12 pm

Hopefully a simple question....

Does the Raspberry pi have the necessary hardware to passthrough dts master audio?

Obviously not do the decoding work.

dom
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 5100
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:41 pm
Location: Cambridge

Re: DTS-MA passthrough

Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:39 pm

Hardware: yes.
Software: no.

I've been hoping another customer would request it, but so far it's not been asked for.
I asked around and was quoted about a man-week to do the work (from the guy who did the standard DTS passthough).

Need to find out if RPF could justify paying him to do the work.

goujam
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:48 am

Re: DTS-MA passthrough

Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:44 am

I've been looking around for this too. I could see the pi had hdmi v1.3 which meant the harwae should work but wondered what software would be required. I thought it may just be within in xbmc but it sounds like firmware is required.

Danielowenuk
Posts: 18
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:05 pm

Re: DTS-MA passthrough

Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:45 am

Thanks Dom, nice to have an answer even if it's not quite the one I wanted :-)

thegr8brian
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:42 pm

Re: DTS-MA passthrough

Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:27 pm

I'd also love to have this support!

jhend60
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:33 am

Re: DTS-MA passthrough

Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:35 am

I would also love to see this feature. It's probably the one thing stopping me using the Pi as a HD player.

caravela
Posts: 49
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:47 pm

Re: DTS-MA passthrough

Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:36 am

having support for bluray in xbmc i think that would make sense to have DTS-MA passthrough support has well.

barto28
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:42 am

Re: DTS-MA passthrough

Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:44 am

Yes if the foundation want to make Rpi a good Xbmc setup the DTS HD passthrough feature must be added.

This is the only thing that making me not using my Rpi as a htpc right.

Please add this :)

milhouse
Posts: 613
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:59 pm

Re: DTS-MA passthrough

Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:39 pm

dom wrote: I've been hoping another customer would request it, but so far it's not been asked for.
I asked around and was quoted about a man-week to do the work (from the guy who did the standard DTS passthough).

Need to find out if RPF could justify paying him to do the work.
If the Foundation is able to sell the licence for DTS, it would be a huge pitty for someone not to do the 5 days work required to also enable DTS-HD MA as well, thus making the Raspberry Pi the ultimate low-price media center device. If necessary, charge for DTS-HD MA under a different licence, or better yet bundle it with the standard DTS licence for a few extra pennies in order to recover the additional costs.

goujam
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:48 am

Re: DTS-MA passthrough

Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:30 pm

I would pay towards a fee for it !

rbej
Posts: 101
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:10 pm

Re: DTS-MA passthrough

Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:48 pm

goujam wrote:I would pay towards a fee for it !
+1

DJBnJack
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:45 pm

Re: DTS-MA passthrough

Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:44 pm

Me 2!

winterpigz
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:11 am

Re: DTS-MA passthrough

Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:13 am

thegr8brian wrote:I'd also love to have this support!
+1

chrispu2010
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:19 am

Re: DTS-MA passthrough

Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:21 am

This is all that is holding this card back from being my new media center. GOt my pi today and this was one of the first features I tested... sadly disappointed but I am hold out hope that it will get fixed soon.

milhouse
Posts: 613
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:59 pm

Re: DTS-MA passthrough

Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:27 am

And the Star Wars Blu-Ray uses DTS-ES (6.1 channels) which should downmix to 5.1 DTS... :)

Bogg
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:09 am

Re: DTS-MA passthrough

Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:11 am

goujam wrote:I would pay towards a fee for it !
+1

Mangoat
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:21 pm

Re: DTS-MA passthrough

Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:26 pm

I agree that this is a feature that the Pi should support (along with TrueHD) if the hardware supports it.

If a small payment is required akin to the Mpeg2 & VC-1 decoder licences, then that's perfectly acceptable IMO.

r0nnie
Posts: 49
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:53 am

Re: DTS-MA passthrough

Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:19 pm

Bogg wrote:
goujam wrote:I would pay towards a fee for it !
+1
i believe this has been sorted now dom posted this in another thread.
dom wrote:Took some finding, but I've found a suspicious vector instruction in the downmixing code on GPU.
I believe my examples sound better now. You need the latest start.elf from guthub:
https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware ... /start.elf

or use rpi-update if your distribution allows it.
i just removed my start.elf and added the one from the link to my /boot/ folder and it works like a charm

edit

rereading the thread im not even sure what dts pass through is lol
but i had probs with dts with low audio for voices but the audio for music was really loud and that fixed it for me

goujam
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:48 am

Re: DTS-MA passthrough

Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:41 pm

r0nnie wrote:
Bogg wrote:
goujam wrote:I would pay towards a fee for it !
+1
i believe this has been sorted now dom posted this in another thread.
dom wrote:Took some finding, but I've found a suspicious vector instruction in the downmixing code on GPU.
I believe my examples sound better now. You need the latest start.elf from guthub:
https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware ... /start.elf

or use rpi-update if your distribution allows it.
i just removed my start.elf and added the one from the link to my /boot/ folder and it works like a charm

edit

rereading the thread im not even sure what dts pass through is lol
but i had probs with dts with low audio for voices but the audio for music was really loud and that fixed it for me
I think Dom was looking at downmixing 5.1 to 2.0 !

What we are talking about is hd audio which is lossless audio available on blu ray films ! What we want to do is have the pi pass the audio to an Av receiver which will handle the audio. This is currently available for ac3 and dts which are compressed audio formats but for lossless audio (truehd and dts_ma) its not available but hopefully will be soon !

r0nnie
Posts: 49
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:53 am

Re: DTS-MA passthrough

Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:07 pm

goujam wrote: What we are talking about is hd audio which is lossless audio available on blu ray films ! What we want to do is have the pi pass the audio to an Av receiver which will handle the audio. This is currently available for ac3 and dts which are compressed audio formats but for lossless audio (truehd and dts_ma) its not available but hopefully will be soon !
ah my mistake this is what happens when you dont know what you're on about lol :oops:

thanks for filling me in

Danielowenuk
Posts: 18
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:05 pm

Re: DTS-MA passthrough

Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:33 am

Any more updates on this?

:)

sumolx
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:07 pm

Re: DTS-MA passthrough

Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:01 pm

I too would also like to see TrueHD and DTS-MA supported. If it requires a license for each or both, just like MPG2 and VC1 for such a small fee, I would gladly pay for it.

andsoitgoes
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:08 pm

Re: DTS-MA passthrough

Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:09 pm

I don't get why passthrough is an issue? It shouldn't require any licensing, just passing all audio through for receivers to decode it, I don't want my Pi doing the work anyway, if I have the option not to.

larzman
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:28 am

Re: DTS-MA passthrough

Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:41 am

+1 :)
sumolx wrote:I too would also like to see TrueHD and DTS-MA supported. If it requires a license for each or both, just like MPG2 and VC1 for such a small fee, I would gladly pay for it.

Danielowenuk
Posts: 18
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:05 pm

Re: DTS-MA passthrough

Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:11 am

How can we get this moving?

More +1s?

Donations to foundation?

Clearly lots of us would like this, but it's been a fair while since I first raised it now, and we don't seem to much further forward.

Return to “General discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Jason_25, Moszad and 42 guests