Heater

Re: No mixing of solder types

Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:43 pm

Here is an interesting read as to what NASA thinks about this lead free catastrophe. https://nepp.nasa.gov/whisker./referenc ... b-free.pdf

aTao

Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:00 pm

Heater wrote:Here is an interesting read as to what NASA thinks about this lead free catastrophe. https://nepp.nasa.gov/whisker./referenc ... b-free.pdf
Tin whiskers.. woohoo, they look like fun.
>)))'><'(((<

piglet

Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:22 pm

Firefox doesn't like the look of that link. "The owner of nepp.nasa.gov has configured their website improperly. To protect your information from being stolen, Firefox has not connected to this website."

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:16 pm

Tin whiskers in space (under zero gravity conditions) are a problem, that is why stuff designed for space have an exempt from ROHS. Also there is not much chance that the lead in the solder will become a problem, as it will burn up on re-entry.

Burngate

Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:29 am

lumsdot wrote:Is there such a thing as flux free solder, i get bad asthma from soldering
I have a solder fan extractor which is designed to.remove the fumes, but it only partly stops asthma.
I've just turned the workshop upside-down looking for that reel of solder that didn't contain resin flux, but no luck.
So I'll have to work on memory, which isn't 100% accurate.

It had two advantages: it didn't contain halogens, so less medically harmful, and the residue was flexible, so didn't require cleaning off.Possibly based on PET (polyester)
Possibly Multicore Xersin, though Google can't find anything useful.
Multicore appears to now be a brand within Henkel
Last edited by Burngate on Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ronaldlees

Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:35 pm

Thanks for all the great answers. I've worked with solder for quite a few years, but don't consider that I know that much about the stuff. Sometimes I think we know too much.

In the late sixties, I worked with whatever I could get my hands on. In the beginning, that was my father's very oversize plumbing iron, and plumbing solder. Yeah - I know that's not too good. But, back then we had those big ole terminal post (only two wrap posts per inch) - and I could wrap the leads and wires good and tight before slobbering some solder on them.

Of course, we had plenty of DDT to use on the trees in our back yard in those days ... we'd just pour some in a coffee cup, and slosh it into the bucket. Danged good apples from those trees. Somehow managed to get to be an "older" guy.

Just loved the smell of rosin back then, when I had real solder to work with. Ah - such innocent days they were! Disclaimer: please don't inhale any rosin or gasoline either - they're both really bad for you. (I guess you call it benzene over there on the other side).

I pulled all my parts from old B&W TV sets (that's where the terminal posts came from). And every day, eight miles thru deep snow to the bus stop :-0
I am the Umbrella man

aTao

Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:04 pm

Ronaldlees wrote:Thanks for all the great answers. I've worked with solder for quite a few years, but don't consider that I know that much about the stuff. Sometimes I think we know too much.

In the late sixties, I worked with whatever I could get my hands on. In the beginning, that was my father's very oversize plumbing iron, and plumbing solder. Yeah - I know that's not too good. But, back then we had those big ole terminal post (only two wrap posts per inch) - and I could wrap the leads and wires good and tight before slobbering some solder on them.

Of course, we had plenty of DDT to use on the trees in our back yard in those days ... we'd just pour some in a coffee cup, and slosh it into the bucket. Danged good apples from those trees. Somehow managed to get to be an "older" guy.

Just loved the smell of rosin back then, when I had real solder to work with. Ah - such innocent days they were! Disclaimer: please don't inhale any rosin or gasoline either - they're both really bad for you. (I guess you call it benzene over there on the other side).

I pulled all my parts from old B&W TV sets (that's where the terminal posts came from). And every day, eight miles thru deep snow to the bus stop :-0

Benzine is what they put in petrol (gas) to make up for the lead they took out DOHH!
>)))'><'(((<

Return to “General discussion”