Cellox

Where to buy?

Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:57 am

Hey folks. I am hoping to get some advice from some of the more experienced forum members. My computer mad teenage son has asked for a Raspberry Pi for Christmas. I had no idea what they are or that they even existed until he asked for one. I'm still not entirely sure what function they serve but mine is not to reason why. Given my lack of knowledge I felt it prudent to do a little research before buying which is why I have registered with this forum. You see I've been searching around for a Raspberry Pi B for sale online, used or new and have found that they are available from a number of sources. But I was hoping to get a little advice on which is the best retailer to buy from in terms trust and reputation. Who or what is regarded as the best retailer or source? Also, is the Raspberry Pi B the latest model or is there a more current one? Many thanks for any pointers offered.
Last edited by Cellox on Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

fruitoftheloom

Re: Where to buy?

Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:07 pm

Cellox wrote:Hey folks. I am hoping to get some advice from some of the more experienced forum members. My computer mad teenage son has asked for a Raspberry Pi for Christmas. I had no idea what they are or that they even existed until he asked for one. I'm still not entirely sure what function they serve but mine is not to reason why. Given my lack of knowledge I felt it prudent to do a little research before buying which is why I have registered with this forum. You see I've been searching around for a Raspberry Pi B for sale online, used or new and have found that they are available from a number of sources. But I was hoping to get a little advice on which is the best retailer to buy from in terms trust and reputation. Who or what is regarded as the best retailer or source? Also, is the Raspberry Pi B the latest model or is there a more current one? Many thanks for any pointers offered.
As you have not stated where on Planet Earth you reside, may I point you to the Official Distributors which are RS and Element14 which is linked on the Raspberry Pi Website:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/products
Retired disgracefully.....

wildfire

Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:08 pm

The Pi Hut https://thepihut.com/, but don't go for a B, it's showing it's age. Get your kid a 3B but budget for cables case Power supply etc (Pi's come only as a circuit board)
E8 85 A2 64 C9 64 81 94 64 81 95 64 89 84 89 96 A3
Still NF Shirls

B.Goode

Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:25 pm

An official Starter Kit complete with a book might be a good present?

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/ten-mi ... i-new-kit/

W. H. Heydt

Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:50 pm

Welcome to the Forums.

Others have addressed where (though if you add your location to your forum display, more specific advice can be given).

As for what the Raspberry Pi is and for....it is a computer. Not a spectacularly fast or capacious computer, but a computer. It has the virtue of being inexpensive, so if your son breaks it, it won't be a major financial issue. It is a very open computer. It has a full suite of software, either with the initial install or capabel of being added later, and all of it is free. Another advantage over the typical desktop is that the entire system sits on a microSD card (the same sort used in cameras anc cell phones), so if system is rendered unusable, it can be rewritten in a matter of minutes.

wildfire

Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:10 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:It is a very open computer. It has a full suite of software, either with the initial install or capabel of being added later, and all of it is free.
A small correction, most of the software is free, certainly enough for your son to have a perfectly viable working computer, but there are exceptions to the rule.
E8 85 A2 64 C9 64 81 94 64 81 95 64 89 84 89 96 A3
Still NF Shirls

W. H. Heydt

Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:39 pm

wildfire wrote:
W. H. Heydt wrote:It is a very open computer. It has a full suite of software, either with the initial install or capabel of being added later, and all of it is free.
A small correction, most of the software is free, certainly enough for your son to have a perfectly viable working computer, but there are exceptions to the rule.
The exceptions are rare and there is a vast amount that can be done without having to pay for software. In over 4 years, the only thing that *might* be classed that was was a codec license for one Pi, and since I don't actually use it, I could have done fine without it. Anything you can get through "apt-get install" is free.

randomhero

Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:08 pm

Hit up amazon, search for a raspberry pi 3 starter kit, should be around $50 USD. Should be able to find a kit with the raspberry pi board, a case, power supply, and a couple other things. It may be wise to get him a microSD card as well. You are a good mom!

Edit: here are a couple quick amazon searches (i am not affiliated with any of these sellers, nor do i make any referral from this, this is a literal copy paste of an amazon search i did:

https://www.amazon.com/Vilros-Raspberry ... tarter+kit

https://www.amazon.com/LoveRPi-Raspberr ... tarter+kit

https://www.amazon.com/CanaKit-Raspberr ... +kit&psc=1

Just make sure that whatever you buy actually has the Pi in it, some of these are just accessory kits.

DougieLawson

Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:21 pm

Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

davidcoton

Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:50 pm

randomhero wrote:Hit up amazon, ...
The OP asked
Cellox wrote: But I was hoping to get a little advice on which is the best retailer to buy from in terms trust and reputation.
While I think Amazon is a reasonably safe marketplace, the primary retailers have to be the place to start for someone unfamiliar with the Raspberry Pi. You need some discernment and experience to work out what you are buying from some Amazon (and other secondary) retailers. Others are of course just alternative channels for reputable primary retailers, but the main websites usually have more information and advice.
Signature retired

tweak42

Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:00 am

Cellox wrote:Hey folks. I am hoping to get some advice from some of the more experienced forum members. My computer mad teenage son has asked for a Raspberry Pi for Christmas. I had no idea what they are or that they even existed until he asked for one. I'm still not entirely sure what function they serve but mine is not to reason why. Given my lack of knowledge I felt it prudent to do a little research before buying which is why I have registered with this forum.
For the clueless parent, this is a good summary article that describes what is a Pi in the context for kids learning.
https://www.cnet.com/news/raspberry-pi- ... r-science/

The Pi is an international phenomenon, so it helps to know where you are located when giving advice where and what to buy.

Return to “General discussion”