bugsy_malone 666

Supply and Demand of Pi Zero's 12 months on?

Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:36 pm

So recently I have been thinking some of my projects could be scaled down to Raspberry pi Zeros to make them smaller and thought if I buy 2 or 3 should sort me out for a while, however it seems the Pi hut and Pimorini still have order restrictions on 1 per customer?

I'm under the impression that Pi's have now been streamlined down to just a couple of models and I thought maybe that would mean it was easier to get them now, I take it demand is still high?

I know that last nov/dec you couldnt get a Pi Zero due to high demand and I managed to get one eventually in January, having implemented one I thought about more to free up some of my B+ models currently doing meanial tasts where there size is wasting space.

Whats the end goal for production lines?

I have seen lots of people talking about multinode computing with them and thought they wont be able to if you cant buy more than 1 at once.

RaTTuS

Re: Supply and Demand of Pi Zero's 12 months on?

Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:38 pm

it's easier to get Pi0 now than earlier in the year - but the limits still remain,
this thread will get locked
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

wildfire

Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:52 pm

bugsy_malone 666 wrote: I'm under the impression that Pi's have now been streamlined down to just a couple of models and I thought maybe that would mean it was easier to get them now, I take it demand is still high?
The Pi Zero is made solely by the Raspberry Pi Foundation, unlike other models. Ergo slim lining available models would not affect the availability of Zeros.
NF

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:58 pm

bugsy_malone 666 wrote:So recently I have been thinking some of my projects could be scaled down to Raspberry pi Zeros to make them smaller and thought if I buy 2 or 3 should sort me out for a while, however it seems the Pi hut and Pimorini still have order restrictions on 1 per customer?

I'm under the impression that Pi's have now been streamlined down to just a couple of models and I thought maybe that would mean it was easier to get them now, I take it demand is still high?

I know that last nov/dec you couldnt get a Pi Zero due to high demand and I managed to get one eventually in January, having implemented one I thought about more to free up some of my B+ models currently doing meanial tasts where there size is wasting space.

Whats the end goal for production lines?

I have seen lots of people talking about multinode computing with them and thought they wont be able to if you cant buy more than 1 at once.
Demand is still high, and production is not likely to increase AFAIK, so you'll have to buy one at a time for the nr to medium term.

For multinode stuff, I'd still use Pi3. The CPU on the Zero is very weak in comparison. ANd you get ethernet/wifi for the connectivity you would need.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

W. H. Heydt

Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:26 pm

bugsy_malone 666 wrote: Whats the end goal for production lines?
To turn a profit for Sony.

As others have noted, Pi Zeros are much, much easier to get than they were a year ago. Now, you can order one and expect it in normal shipping time, repeat as needed.

There are really just 4 Pi product lines: B series (Pi3B, Pi2B2, B+ at this time), A series (A+), Compute Module (CM and--soon--CM3, CM3L), and the Pi Zero. Given the overall demand for all things Pi (look at the number of companies living off the ecosystem) it's really no wonder that Sony Pencoed is turning Pis out as fast as it (sustainably) can.and still can't get ahead in the Pi Zero supply.

RaTTuS

Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:44 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:
bugsy_malone 666 wrote: Whats the end goal for production lines?
To turn a profit for Sony.

As others have noted, Pi Zeros are much, much easier to get than they were a year ago. Now, you can order one and expect it in normal shipping time, repeat as needed.

There are really just 4 Pi product lines: B series (Pi3B, Pi2B2, B+ at this time), A series (A+), Compute Module (CM and--soon--CM3, CM3L), and the Pi Zero. Given the overall demand for all things Pi (look at the number of companies living off the ecosystem) it's really no wonder that Sony Pencoed is turning Pis out as fast as it (sustainably) can.and still can't get ahead in the Pi Zero supply.
and only 2 types of SOC BCM2835 [single core Pi0 etc] BCM2837 [quad core Pi3 etc] the BCM2836 B+ is discontinued
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

W. H. Heydt

Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:53 pm

RaTTuS wrote: and only 2 types of SOC BCM2835 [single core Pi0 etc] BCM2837 [quad core Pi3 etc] the BCM2836 B+ is discontinued
While true, that would only be a scheduling issue for the foundry, not for board production.

Burngate

Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:53 pm

RaTTuS wrote: ... only 2 types of SOC BCM2835 [single core Pi0 etc] BCM2837 [quad core Pi3 etc] the BCM2836 B+ is discontinued
BCM2836 was used in 2B, replaced with watered-down 2837
B+ uses original BCM2835

W. H. Heydt

Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:10 pm

Burngate wrote:
RaTTuS wrote: ... only 2 types of SOC BCM2835 [single core Pi0 etc] BCM2837 [quad core Pi3 etc] the BCM2836 B+ is discontinued
B+ uses original BCM2835
I don't think I'd call the Pi2B2 "watered down". It's the same chip, just underclocked. I don't think there is anything preventing you from bringing the clock up to where it is on a Pi3B.

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:41 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:
Burngate wrote:
B+ uses original BCM2835
I don't think I'd call the Pi2B2 "watered down". It's the same chip, just underclocked. I don't think there is anything preventing you from bringing the clock up to where it is on a Pi3B.
It is conservatively clocked by default though. But you're right, that can easily be overridden at will. :lol:
Alex Eames RasPi.TV, RasP.iO

Burngate

Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:24 am

Watered down in terms of price? (RS £29.09 v. £29.99) Though the 90p difference might be the WiFi/BT.

Return to “General discussion”