elsmandino

Which Power Supply and SD Card for RPi 3?

Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:06 pm

Hi,

I am going to buying a RPi3 shortly and was wondering what the current advice is as far as what the best power supply and microSD card to get with it.

I did read, sometime back, that an 8GB Samsung Evo was the way to go with the card. Is this still the case?

All my current Pis have been 1B+ and 2 so I have always used the official power supplies as they provide 2.0 Amps. However, I have just been reading that the Pi needs a 2.5 power supply.

Thanks in advance.

B.Goode

Re: Which Power Supply and SD Card for RPi 3?

Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:10 pm

For peace of mind, why not stick to your sensible policy of buying the 'official' power supply. There is an upgraded one to meet the greater demands of the RPi 3.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/help/faqs/#powerReqs

jahboater

Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:13 pm

elsmandino wrote:Hi,

I am going to buying a RPi3 shortly and was wondering what the current advice is as far as what the best power supply and microSD card to get with it.

I did read, sometime back, that an 8GB Samsung Evo was the way to go with the card. Is this still the case?

All my current Pis have been 1B+ and 2 so I have always used the official power supplies as they provide 2.0 Amps. However, I have just been reading that the Pi needs a 2.5 power supply.

Thanks in advance.
You may (and should) continue to use the official power supplies. The Pi3 should work with the older 2.0A version if you don't have many USB devices, otherwise get the new Pi3 one which is 5.1V 2.5A and a thicker cable.

The Samsung EVO (or PRO) + are great cards. 16GB or 32Gb might give you the best price per GB. See also the Sandisk Extreme. Just make sure they are genuine.

zardoz66

Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:15 pm

jahboater wrote:
elsmandino wrote:Hi,

Thanks in advance.
You may (and should) continue to use the official power supplies. The Pi3 should work with the older 2.0A version if you don't have many USB devices, otherwise get the new Pi3 one which is 5.1V 2.5A and a thicker cable.

The Samsung EVO (or PRO) + are great cards. 16GB or 32Gb might give you the best price per GB. See also the Sandisk Extreme. Just make sure they are genuine.

Agree +1
Zardoz
Raspberry Pi 3 | Raspbian Jessie | 32GB Samsung EVO+ | D-Link 7 port USB HUB | Sabrent CRW-EXT 6-Slot Card Reader | 64GB USB Storage. Other RPi's - 2x RPi1b, 1x Rpi1b+ 1x Rpi2b, 2x Rpi3b
Join us on IRC #raspberrypi at https://webchat.freenode.net/

Return to “General discussion”