secarica

how to install PIXEL desktop over Raspbian Jessie LITE

Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:45 pm

My requirement is a dedicated device that runs a Python 3.x application (already existing).

By its own, the RPi requires standard & wireless networking, I2C & serial communication. A desktop environment (whatever version) is also required and so is a basic web browser (whatever that is). Other required applications (as separate install) are Python 3.4, TightVNC server, Editra editor, a web server (probably lighttpd), perhaps also some CGI like Perl (not yet established).

Until now I used the full Raspbian package, which worked well. However, there are a lot of useless applications for my given requirement and instead of sudo apt-get remove/purge tons of them, I want the reverse approach, that is to install the LITE version and then only install what is strictly required.

This includes a desktop. I read how to install the "old" desktop, but I didn't found something clear about installing the PIXEL version from scratch (but only how to update from existing desktop, via dist-upgrade or something).

So, question: is there a page that explains how to install PIXEL desktop version over clean Jessie LITE ?
Same question for installing Chromium web browser ?
Python 2.x is not required in my particular case, except if mandatory for some desktop components.
RealVNC server is not desired here, because of its license.

Thank you,
Cristi

tweak42

Re: how to install PIXEL desktop over Raspbian Jessie LITE

Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:13 am

I was doing the same with my Pi Zero, installing Lite and adding on a minimum gui. Ended up doing

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install raspberrypi-ui-mods
to a clean upgraded install which got most of what I wanted.

Taken from here:
viewtopic.php?f=66&t=133691#p918582

That thread has a lot more configuration information in it and is worth reading the OP.

jsn-54

Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:53 pm

Hello,

I'm trying to install pixel upon a jessie-lite installation (Pi-2). Starting from a fresh Raspbian Jessie lite img (last version available), I followed the process described here :

sudo apt-get install --no-install-recommends xserver-xorg
sudo apt-get install lightdm
After reboot, I get the "lightdm" window with the beautiful wallpaper, the prompt is blinking in the edit zone, the mouse cursor is here with the popup help message, but the keyboard and mouse are "frozen" : impossible to type any text, impossible to move the mouse (yet both work)... But I'm sure these USB devices work fine !
If I reboot on the command line, I can log in and type commands. If I run startx, the desktop appears but once again, frozen keyboard and mouse. Logging in remotely with and executing "ssh -X xeyes" works fine after installing X11-apps (or something like that).

Did anyone had the same problem ? How can I check if there is a X11 / openBox / pixel configuration issue ?
Thanks in advances for any help, best regards !

tweak42

Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:08 am

jsn-54 wrote:Hello,

I'm trying to install pixel upon a jessie-lite installation (Pi-2). Starting from a fresh Raspbian Jessie lite img (last version available), I followed the process described here :

sudo apt-get install --no-install-recommends xserver-xorg
sudo apt-get install lightdm
After reboot, I get the "lightdm" window with the beautiful wallpaper, the prompt is blinking in the edit zone, the mouse cursor is here with the popup help message, but the keyboard and mouse are "frozen" : impossible to type any text, impossible to move the mouse (yet both work)... But I'm sure these USB devices work fine !
If I reboot on the command line, I can log in and type commands. If I run startx, the desktop appears but once again, frozen keyboard and mouse. Logging in remotely with and executing "ssh -X xeyes" works fine after installing X11-apps (or something like that).

Did anyone had the same problem ? How can I check if there is a X11 / openBox / pixel configuration issue ?
Thanks in advances for any help, best regards !
I tried a clean install of 2017-01-11 raspbian lite on my Pi 2 and had no problems. Used ethernet and usb wireless logitech keyboard dongle.
On first login run updates and reboot:

sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade
sudo reboot
Then add the desktop package and reboot. Pixel desktop loaded after reboot:

sudo apt install raspberrypi-ui-mods
sudo reboot
I'm not sure where your install went wrong. Does the full version of Raspbian work?

Return to “General discussion”