Grumpy Mike

Re: So: who's got a rev2 board?

Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:52 am

Thanks, it is good to know it is supposed to work anyway.

By necessity it is a different power supply because I modified my first Pi to use a proper 4A 5V power supply by bypassing the USB socket. Now I am trying to run it of a 2A Apple USB iPad charger and am only getting 4.5V on the test pins which I would have thought was OK. I also tried it with a different SD card and got it to boot to the log in but the keyboard will not work.
Ah well, back to voiding warranties. :(

mole125

Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:58 am

The approach I took was to void the warrenty on the power supply instead and splice a usb plug onto it from a spare usb cable - safer than taking the soldering iron to the RPi

Grumpy Mike

Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:08 am

You still get the voltage drop through the USB socket which I think is where the main problem is.
Soldering irons are safe anyway. ;)

gordonrgw

Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:32 am

revision 2 board here also, ordered from farnell's thursday 6th, received monday 10th..
wasn't aware of the new revision until after i'd ordered either..

Montala

Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:20 pm

It certainly looks as if (in the UK at least) Farnell are shipping them out pretty quickly at the moment.

I ordered one quite late last Friday afternoon, and I received an email from them today (Tuesday) to say that it had been despatched.

I am fairly sure it will be a Revision 2 board, but if not I will be returning it to them for a replacement, as I specifically specified exactly what I was ordering!

Hopefully this means that with a decent power supply I will now be able to plug both a keyboard and a WiFi dongle directly into the USB ports on my new Raspberry Pi!

Montala

Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:22 pm

gordonrgw wrote:revision 2 board here also, ordered from farnell's thursday 6th, received monday 10th..
wasn't aware of the new revision until after i'd ordered either..
Can I ask, are they still shipping by 'standard' Royal Mail post service in the U. K? :)

Thanks!

Grumpy Mike

Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:27 pm

Yes I got mine in the post.

I have tried 5 different power leads gleaned from various sources and all loose about 1V getting into the Pi.

calverb

Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:25 am

I ordered a "starter kit" - board, case, PSU and pre-loaded SD card from CPC (part of Premier Farnell) on Monday p.m. arrived Tuesday (11 Sept) midday. Rev 2 board made in UK.

It wasn't express delivery or anything special - they are doing free delivery on the Pi ATM.

Bob

troombatzia

Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:43 pm

I got mine today. It's a rev. 2 made in UK. Shipped from Farnell UK on Sep 4th to Italy, very south Italy. 6 working days is good as I live in the western part of Sicily. My order reference was ORP 756**. Thanks Farnell, but make a little better package! ;-)
English isn’t my first language, so please excuse any mistakes.

W. H. Heydt

Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:48 pm

At least up to 6 Sept., Newark/Element14 (US sub. of Farnell) was still shipping Rev. 1 ECN boards with 0 ohm resistor in place of F1 & F2, and without D14.

I have yet to see a post from anyone receiving a Rev. 2 board from a US branch supplier.

Montala

Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:52 am

Just to update my earlier posts, mine was despatched on Tuesday by Royal Mail 2nd Class post, and was delivered this morning (Thursday), although a slightly stronger cardboard box and a bit more protection (other than a padded bag) would have been welcome!

It is definitely a Revision 2 board "Made in the UK" and has a small paper sticker on the 'back' adjacent to the SD card slot marked with what I assume is the date of manufacture 29/08 so it is obviously new stock.

We do now appear to have 'lost' the row of pins at P2 which I would probably never use anyway... assuming I knew what they were put there for in the first place! ;)

The memory is from Samsung, the same as my last one, and all in all it appears to be a very well made little board, which I am looking forward to checking out... once I can find some time to do so! :)

DogEars

Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:27 pm

Ordered (in the UK) on the 11th, Despatched on the 12th Arrived today from Farnell and it's a revision 1 board made in China...! Disappointed, looking forward to fitting a header for the i2s/pcm.

G.

Montala

Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:46 pm

DogEars wrote:Ordered (in the UK) on the 11th, Despatched on the 12th Arrived today from Farnell and it's a revision 1 board made in China...! Disappointed, looking forward to fitting a header for the i2s/pcm.

G.
That is strange, as I ordered mine only a couple of days earlier and received a Revision 2 board.

I am also in the UK, but I did send them an email immediately after having placed the order saying that I expected to receive the latest revision of the board, although I only received an auto acknowledgement to that one.

I assume your order number was later than ORP0786** ?

twocvbloke

Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:58 pm

At a guess, it could jut be a "luck of the draw" thing, Farnell may still have Rev.1 boards in their warehouse, and the Rev.2 boards were sat on the top of the pile when they were made, or something like that... :lol:

DogEars

Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:56 pm

Montala wrote: I assume your order number was later than ORP0786** ?
My order number is 2025291*, I'm a "business" if that makes any difference to the order number format?

I guess you're right it's down to luck at the moment, I may try and flog a couple of rev1 boards on ebay or at work, really would like the rev2 boards.

G.

Emphursis

Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:40 pm

mahjongg wrote:The big question is if anyone gets an older board after today.
Me - I ordered from Farnell on Friday evening, it shipped Tuesday and arrived today. I'm in the UK, so a bit disappointed I didn't get a Rev2 board, but oh well. Seems like it might be luck of the draw at the minute, at least until they clear the old stock.

Return to “General discussion”