liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

So: who's got a rev2 board?

Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:28 pm

I have, obviously. One of the MagPi guys mailed me earlier to say he'd got one, and so did one of our mods, as well as the forum member who took the original photo. Anyone else have one yet?
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

PeterO

Re: So: who's got a rev2 board?

Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:32 pm

I have one of the (soon to be) rare "Made in China" ones :lol:
PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

twocvbloke

Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:51 pm

Looking at the official pictures, it seems my Pi is a Rev.2, it says Made in the UK (yay!!!), it has the reset pin headers, it has mounting holes, and it just visually seems to be the Rev.2 board... :lol:

I have powered it up, but lacking a USB keyboard & mouse (I only have PS/2 to hand, and no PS/2-USB adaptors), I haven't been through the thing to find out through software what revision it is... :)

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:09 pm

I bought my first RasPI about a week ago, and got it yesterday, I opened the package to find a slightly odd looking raspberry Pi, one with a big hole where those darned polyfuses used to be. :mrgreen:
Went to this site to be greeted with the news of the new revision. :lol:
Talk about timing!
And yes, I knew about the "made in UK news" and had to byte my own tongue. :x

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:03 pm

twocvbloke wrote:Looking at the official pictures, it seems my Pi is a Rev.2, it says Made in the UK (yay!!!), it has the reset pin headers, it has mounting holes, and it just visually seems to be the Rev.2 board... :lol:

I have powered it up, but lacking a USB keyboard & mouse (I only have PS/2 to hand, and no PS/2-USB adaptors), I haven't been through the thing to find out through software what revision it is... :)
Yes, that's the latest release.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

chia

Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:08 pm

I ordered 5 from element14 a week or so ago, and they arrived yesterday. All Rev 2 :-)

I only ordered them because RS are telling me that my order is delayed till mid November.

Very happy.

Cheers, Lee

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:41 am

So the thing is, if I order another Pi from Farnell, can I be fairly sure it will be a Rev 2 board?
I guess there is no guarantee's that it will be, but a high probability it is.
Rgds,
T.
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

clacktronics

Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:21 am

I got a couple of Rev 2's this morning - ordered from Farnell business yesterday!!
My Kickstarter for a analogue AV out - kck.st/1SuGDvV

pluggy

Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:00 am

My 2nd arrived from Farnell today (ordered on Monday) , its a Rev 2 "Made in the UK". I'll let you know if it works ;)

edit:

Yep, no problems on a once over.
Don't judge Linux by the Pi.......
I must not tread on too many sacred cows......

mikerr

Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:48 am

Just recieved a rev2 from cpc.co.uk (farnell).

I used the stock email notification system so ordered shortly after I got the "in stock" email.
Ordered Thursday afternoon and delivered this morning (Saturday).
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

pygmy_giant

Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:26 pm

You need to update your signatue then.
Ostendo ignarus addo scientia.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:59 pm

The big question is if anyone gets an older board after today.
I guess that as Farnell never had stock, all they could manufacture was sold immediately, so all PI's sent off after last thursday or so should be Rev2. This begs the question.

Can anyone say they received a PI (from farnell) after today that wasn't a Rev2?

Based on the many complaints about not receiving anything from RS I'm guessing that RS temporarily stopped producing PI's, (for some unknown reason, probably having to do with insufficient stocks) and when they will start production up it could probably be with Rev2 boards (probably with "Made in China" instead of "Made in the UK"), so if that happens that will also give away whether its an RS PI or a Farnell PI. But again note that I'm speculating here, so:

Can anyone say they received a PI from RS recently?

to me these two italicised questions represent the crux of the matter.

Ed Raket

Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:42 pm

mahjongg wrote: Can anyone say they received a PI from RS recently?
Well... after i recently got a email from RS that my order (for a second Pi) would be delay'ed until octobre! Orderdate= 26-4 :shock: So i canceled the order, im gonna order a second one with Farnell like the one im using for several months now ;)

mikerr

Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:03 pm

[old -sig]Greedy owner of two Pis - one as wifi webcam server, the other to tinker with !
pygmy_giant wrote:You need to update your signature then.
Yep, I now have 3 Pis in my house - fileserver / wifi cam / and tinkerpi
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

sgegreen

Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:51 pm

Got mine today, and because it arrived from Farnell before the Nokia AC-10X power supply, it's working just fine back-powered from a Belkin F5U701P 7-port Mobile Hub...

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:30 pm

Well... after i recently got a email from RS that my order (for a second Pi) would be delay'ed until octobre! Orderdate= 26-4 So i canceled the order, im gonna order a second one with Farnell like the one im using for several months now
Guess that counts as a "no I did not get one from RS recently". Seen many more such, but none that said they did receive one recently from RS.

@sgegreen, I assume you mean your Rev2 PI works from the hub "back-powered", that is without using the mini USB power input? At least, without the USB polyfuses, that should be possible from now on.

Montala

Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:50 pm

I can't believe just how quickly Farnell are sending them out at the moment.

Having read about the Revision 2 boards, I placed an order for one yesterday, and although they stated 3 weeks for delivery, I am hoping it will be sooner... unless of course they have had a sudden rush from customers wanting the latest version!

sgegreen

Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:58 pm

@mahjongg
The micro-USB power connector is not used. As the HDMI cables also haven't arrived, the only interaction with the RPi is via ssh and I don't have any USB peripherals plugged into the remaining full-size USB connector.

One intended use of RPis here is for driving slideshow and video displays at our local museum, to replace old, large, hot and noisy PCs.

W. H. Heydt

Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:37 pm

mahjongg wrote:The big question is if anyone gets an older board after today.
I guess that as Farnell never had stock, all they could manufacture was sold immediately, so all PI's sent off after last thursday or so should be Rev2. This begs the question.

Can anyone say they received a PI (from farnell) after today that wasn't a Rev2?

Based on the many complaints about not receiving anything from RS I'm guessing that RS temporarily stopped producing PI's, (for some unknown reason, probably having to do with insufficient stocks) and when they will start production up it could probably be with Rev2 boards (probably with "Made in China" instead of "Made in the UK"), so if that happens that will also give away whether its an RS PI or a Farnell PI. But again note that I'm speculating here, so:

Can anyone say they received a PI from RS recently?

to me these two italicised questions represent the crux of the matter.
First...the RS e-mail that went out late last month said the problem was getting processor chips, but that would put production on hold as well. At the very least, when production is (has been?) restarted, one expect any new boards from RS to be AT LEAST Rev. 1 ECN 0003.

There is another question of interest, though, that I haven't seen anyone give an answer to:

Are the Farnell subsidiaries shipping Rev. 2 boards outside of the UK (whether or not the boards are assembled in the UK)?

I would presume that Farnell is preferentially shipping the UK Rev. 2 boards to UK customers, but it is unclear how far 30K Pis per month will go. I would expect that to be sufficient for the UK, since the prior data on production rates would have given Farnell something on the order of 40K to 60K Pis per month total to cover worldwide orders. (And, of course, by *adding* 30K per moth to their production, it's no wonder backlogs have dropped like a rock for Farnell.)

I wouldn't be at all surprised if most of the rest of the world gets shipped Rev. 2 boards assembled in China. The only question is...when? (I have hopes that my latest order through Newark/Element 14 will be at least the Rev. 1 ECN 0003...without USB polyfuses. Rev. 2 would, of course, be even better. I should know on Wednesday as that's when UPS says they'll deliver. At last check, the package was scanned on departure from Kansas City...so by now I don't think they're in Kansas any more...)

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:40 pm

Well, I'm Dutch, and ordered it at the Dutch farnell site. So at the very least I can say they also deliver rev2 boards outside the UK!

Normally Farnell delivers on a "next working day" basis, and they mentioned 19 days when ordered, but it was delivered about 5 days later (the SD-card I simultaniously ordered was delivered the next day).

But to me not being able to deliver "next working day" as they do all their other stuff, (I know, because I order stuff often, for my job) tells me they still have not built up stock. And any stock they have probably goes to their sister company CPC. So if you get one from Farnell itself (not from CPC) it will almost certainly be a freshly produced one, so a Rev2 board, as they seem to have been churning out these for about a week now.

As for RS, they might not have the Broadcom chips, but they might have a buckload of PCB's, there is no telling how long Farnell needed to use up their stock of Rev1 boards. But most often PCB's are stocked in quite large quantities, as that is cheaper. The engeneering orders are obviously another thing altogether, so IMHO the most important issue, the USB polyfuse issue will be fixed on the RS boards.

SN

Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:58 pm

Am thinking I need to order a Rev 2 pi to go with my four Rev 1 boards....
Steve N – binatone mk4->intellivision->zx81->spectrum->cbm64->cpc6128->520stfm->pc->raspi ?

Ed Raket

Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:40 am

mahjongg wrote:Well, I'm Dutch, and ordered it at the Dutch farnell site. So at the very least I can say they also deliver rev2 boards outside the UK!
That is verry good news for us Duchies! Have fun with your new board :)

liz

Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:00 pm

I've spoken with RS (and yes, the problem is supply of processor chips for the quarter from Broadcom - they ordered a certain number and didn't have enough, then weren't able to get any more because all the quarter's quota had gone by then) - if you are currently waiting for a board, you will definitely receive a Rev2 board when it's finally delivered.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

Grumpy Mike

Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:10 am

Does anyone know if you take an SD card out of a revision 1 board and put it in a revision 2 board should it work?

I got a revision 2 last week the day after ordering it from Farnell. However, I now come to try it and moving my SD card from my original Pi, to the new one results in about five minutes of debug followed by a blank screen.
Transferring the card back to the original Pi and it works OK.
Is this to be expected or have I a faulty board?

meltwater

Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:34 am

Grumpy Mike wrote:Does anyone know if you take an SD card out of a revision 1 board and put it in a revision 2 board should it work?

I got a revision 2 last week the day after ordering it from Farnell. However, I now come to try it and moving my SD card from my original Pi, to the new one results in about five minutes of debug followed by a blank screen.
Transferring the card back to the original Pi and it works OK.
Is this to be expected or have I a faulty board?
It should work (indeed I have done the same and functions fine). I would suggest you ensure that everything else is the same (i.e. psu etc) to be sure. Also, try a new image just in case something isn't quite right with the current one (you can use Win32DiskImager to read your old image off the card before hand if you only have a single card).

The other option is that your PSU is boarder-line ok, and the Rev2 just tips the balance over to not working (board change or natural variance in components). Also try without lots of things attached (although this should be less of a problem for the Rev2 board).

PS. Yep I got a Rev2, purely by luck, since I ordered last monday before we knew about them. Just need to get my head around the new mini header (underside connection isn't an option).

My new book: goo.gl/dmVtsc

Meltwater's Pi Hardware - pihardware.com

Like the MagPi? @TheMagP1 @TheMagPiTeam

Return to “General discussion”