bawjaws

Re: $4.99 A8 chip from Allwinner

Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:14 am

shivansps said:

The thing is, Raspberry PI is not even out yet and it already has a direct competition(Rhombus-Tech), that it does intent to use the A10 for its board and price may end up cheaper than Raspberry...

I'm not sure that Rhombus-Tech is a direct competitor. Their primary goal is to get devices (tablets, netbooks, desktops, settop boxes) that can be programmed with entirely free software. As part of that they're designing a modular board that can be plugged into any of those things built with a standard connector, and then the guts of devices can be replaced/upgraded as chip technology and/or GPL compliance advances.

It's mostly coincidence that one of their modular boards could be used in the same way as a Raspberry Pi for teaching and  hobbyist use  (though some might say that a programmable tablet would be a pretty good incentive for kids to learn programming.)

While UK production of the chip isn't something they could deliver (currently) while meeting their other goals, it is fair to say that stimulating British business is part of their plan. It's just that it's Free Software developers and the businesses that buy their services and hardware to run their software that will benefit, rather than chip manufacturing plants.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:17 am

HansH said:

shivansps said:

The thing is, Raspberry PI is not even out yet and it already has a direct competition(Rhombus-Tech), that it does intent to use the A10 for its board and price may end up cheaper than Raspberry...

Nonsens, the Raspberry Pi is in production, Rhombus-Tech is still designing/drawing it

And that $5 pricetag for the chip is just sales talk... no quantities are mentioned..

I reckon you would need to buy in the multi millions to get that $4.99 price point.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“My wife said to me `...you’re not even listening`.
I thought, that’s an odd way to start a conversation.."

jamesh

Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:22 am

richardp said:

I am in no-way going against anyone sense of pride or allegiance , but Broadcom have their chips made around the world.. being American means very little. I would suspect the CPU being used is made somewhere in the east, Thailand perhaps.

Say for instance *shock horror* that the A10 CPU was used on Rpi, what would change?

ARM CPU : Cambridge, UK

Design and IPR : UK

The difference is it would not be Allwinner employees doing the work. I really dont see what the difference is... in the end its a cheap computer.

If the other aim is to stimulate the UK economy, then that is really in doubt as the production costs are ludicrous and not competitive in the REAL world. Maybe the Rpi is the catalyst for these industries in the UK to get a wake-up call.

So whats left?.. cheap.. programming starter pack and school friendly.  The 'Made in Britain' is a raaah-raaah cheer for the School board/Politicians to 'Invest in Britain' but now its just a 'Designed in Britain' product which doesn't have the same punch in it.

These are my views, and are (c) by myself.

1. Buy the Allwinner. A good chip (judging from the specs)  designed in China with Chinese support.

2. Buy the BRCM2835. British designed chip with Foundation founders working to design the chip in the first place and willing to put time and insider knowledge in to the Raspi project

That's where the difference is. The Foundation would not get even remotely the level of support needed if they went with Allwinner. Not just technical but charitable as well.

Taiwan is correct.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“My wife said to me `...you’re not even listening`.
I thought, that’s an odd way to start a conversation.."

shivansps

Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:11 am

The A10 $4.99 price point is not hard to get, still no info on the number of units but the A10 is invading the Chinese market pretty fast, there are $99.99 A10 tablets of several brands already, and we are talking of $99.99 for a full tablet and that means: Case, LCD screen 800x480, 5 point capacitive touch screen, 512MB DDR3, 4GB internal flash, power supply, battery, usb cables, etc…

And i no need to mention all other advantages of the A10, like ARMv7a, Quad Mali-400, Sata (not used on tablets) and the excellent video decoder.

I have a Novo 7 Aurora myselft, and i did run some tests on the video decoder and it can playback everything, in a lot of formats (not only h264).

What  i did is plug the A10 tablet to my 1080p LCD and run some test, like .MKV h264 [email protected], .m2ts h264 [email protected], .avi MPEG-2 [email protected], xvid, mpeg-4, everything played fine using the hardware video decoder.

(on software it can playback h264 [email protected] max, from here it starts to drop frames).

Return to “General discussion”