Martin Frezman

Configuring RealVNC server

Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:13 pm

I recently upgraded my Jessie installation to Pixel. Part of that upgrade process installed RealVNC (both server and client). So far, so good.

But my question is: How to get VNC server working? I really want it to work and to be able to test the new features of the RealVNC program. I am a little bit surprised that it didn't come already working; with most "server" type things installed via "apt-get install", part of the install process is that it automatically does for you the stuff necessary to get the server running (and to run on boot in future). RealVNC does not do this.

I found "Raspberry Pi configuration" on the menu and I really like the GUI version of raspi-config. Good job there. I found the interfaces tab and enabled VNC. I found that it was now running, both via "ps" and via checking netstat. The following lines were added to the output of "netstat -na":

# netstat -na | grep 59
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:5900 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN
tcp 0 0 127.0.0.1:44443 127.0.0.1:56592 ESTABLISHED
tcp 0 0 127.0.0.1:56592 127.0.0.1:44443 ESTABLISHED
tcp6 0 0 :::5900 :::* LISTEN

I am curious about the 2nd and 3rd lines in the above listing. What are they about?

Now, it seems to me that there are two things I'd like to be able to configure, but it looks like there is no way to configure these things in the GUI. I am sure that with enough pushing through the man pages (yes, I have done "man vncserver-virtual" and similar) and enough trial-and-error, it could be done, but I thought that was what we were trying to avoid with the new GUI and stuff.

The two things that I think need configuring are:
1) Authentication. Normally, when you install RealVNC on a PC, you get a nice GUI in which you can configure and set your authentication.
2) Setting the "low level capture", so that you can access virtual consoles remotely.

Finally, note that I cannot connect to the Pi remotely using any of my existing VNC viewers. When I try from a Mac (using their "Screen Sharing", I get a message like "The software on the remote computer appears to be incompatible with this version of Screen Sharing.".

When I try from any of my Linux machines (using vncviewer), I get:

Connected to RFB server, using protocol version 3.3
No configured security type is supported by 3.3 VNC Viewer

And from Windows, using vncviewer.exe (which is RealVNC), I get a similar message (this is not compatible with that).

How to fix?
If this post appears in the wrong forums category, my apologies.

klricks

Re: Configuring RealVNC server

Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:19 am

You need to install the viewer from this site: https://www.realvnc.com/download/vnc/windows/
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

sconemad

Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:55 am

Hi Martin,

I work for RealVNC and am involved in developing our server for the Raspberry Pi. I'll see if I can answer some of your questions below...
Martin Frezman wrote: I am a little bit surprised that it didn't come already working; with most "server" type things installed via "apt-get install", part of the install process is that it automatically does for you the stuff necessary to get the server running (and to run on boot in future). RealVNC does not do this.
It was a deliberate decision not to have any services started or enabled automatically upon package installation. Our server package can be used in a variety of ways (service mode, virtual mode), so we leave it up to the user to choose what they want to enable. The addition of the VNC option in raspi-config and the Raspberry Pi configuration desktop app (which enables our service mode server) was intended to make this easier to discover.
Martin Frezman wrote: I found "Raspberry Pi configuration" on the menu and I really like the GUI version of raspi-config. Good job there. I found the interfaces tab and enabled VNC. I found that it was now running, both via "ps" and via checking netstat. The following lines were added to the output of "netstat -na":

# netstat -na | grep 59

I am curious about the 2nd and 3rd lines in the above listing. What are they about?
The 2nd and 3rd lines show an established TCP connection using the internal loopback address. This may or may not be related to the VNC Server (since you are grepping for 59, and the port numbers used here appear to be random, ephemeral ports). If you add the "p" option to netstat, it will show you the processes involved. We do use a loopback connection like this between our server (vncserver-x11) and user interface (vncserverui) processes, so my guess would be that this is what you are seeing here. This is simply an internal connection which is established between processes - it's not listening for external connections, so nothing to worry about here from a security point of view.
Martin Frezman wrote: Now, it seems to me that there are two things I'd like to be able to configure, but it looks like there is no way to configure these things in the GUI. I am sure that with enough pushing through the man pages (yes, I have done "man vncserver-virtual" and similar) and enough trial-and-error, it could be done, but I thought that was what we were trying to avoid with the new GUI and stuff.

1) Authentication. Normally, when you install RealVNC on a PC, you get a nice GUI in which you can configure and set your authentication.
2) Setting the "low level capture", so that you can access virtual consoles remotely.
Assuming you have enabled the VNC Server, you should see a VNC icon in the system tray on the desktop (on the right hand side next to the clock by default). Clicking on this should bring up the VNC status dialog, and allow you to access the options dialog, where you can configure all of the above. By "low level capture", I think you mean the direct capture mode, which is on the Troubleshooting page.
Martin Frezman wrote: Finally, note that I cannot connect to the Pi remotely using any of my existing VNC viewers. When I try from a Mac (using their "Screen Sharing", I get a message like "The software on the remote computer appears to be incompatible with this version of Screen Sharing.".

And from Windows, using vncviewer.exe (which is RealVNC), I get a similar message (this is not compatible with that).

How to fix?
It sounds like you are using viewers which don't support our newer versions of the RFB protocol. As already mentioned by klricks, you can download our viewers from https://www.realvnc.com/download/vnc/, which I would recommend. However, if you really need to make it work with other viewers, you can do so by changing the "Authentication" option to "VNC password", and setting a separate VNC password, since these viewers do not support our system authentication (where you can login with the system credentials - i.e. pi/raspberry by default). Please note that the connection won't be encrypted in this case, hence why we recommend that you use the updated viewers from our site.

Martin Frezman

Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:07 pm

Great. Thank you. I think that answers everything.

BTW, regarding the "grepping for 59": Yes, I realize that those 59s in theory might not be related to port numbers starting with 59, but do note that these lines did only show up in my "netstat" output when (i.e., immediately after) I had enabled VNC server via Raspi Config. So, it is reasonable to assume they were a result of that (this is, of course, not metaphysically certain, but very likely). I think you explanation of where they come from (in the context of VNC's using this for its own internal purposes) is probably correct.

Anyway, it sounds like the key to this is:

1) Enable it from Raspi Config (as I have done).
2) Do further config from the "sys tray" icon.

Finally, note that when I did do "Options" from the "sys tray" icon, a message popped up warning something about "sudo password required" - the message said that this wasn't necessarily a problem, but something to be aware of (the box had the usual "Don't show this message again" thingie on it). This was a little confusing; after a bit of thought, I decided to assume that what it as about was the fact that a user connecting in as pi would have access to root since pi can sudo w/o a password. Is this correct?

sconemad

Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:07 pm

Martin Frezman wrote: Finally, note that when I did do "Options" from the "sys tray" icon, a message popped up warning something about "sudo password required" - the message said that this wasn't necessarily a problem, but something to be aware of (the box had the usual "Don't show this message again" thingie on it). This was a little confusing; after a bit of thought, I decided to assume that what it as about was the fact that a user connecting in as pi would have access to root since pi can sudo w/o a password. Is this correct?
Not quite, it's more about who is allowed to configure the VNC Server in service mode. System services usually require sudo or root access to be able to configure them, so we enforce this if you attempt to open the options dialog.

Martin Frezman

Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:52 am

one more question:

Is it possible with the RealVNC server to make it "mirror" the "real" display rather than create a new, "virtual", desktop/display?

I.e., do the functionality of "x11vnc"...

klricks

Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:12 am

Martin Frezman wrote:one more question:

Is it possible with the RealVNC server to make it "mirror" the "real" display rather than create a new, "virtual", desktop/display?

Yes realvnc does that by default.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

Martin Frezman

Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:26 am

klricks wrote:
Martin Frezman wrote:one more question:

Yes realvnc does that by default.
OK, then how about the other (the "virtual" desktop) ?

sconemad

Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:04 am

Martin Frezman wrote: OK, then how about the other (the "virtual" desktop) ?
The vncserver-virtual* command is used to start a virtual desktop. This runs as the current user and takes the next available display number, which it prints out to the terminal so you know what to enter in your viewer to connect. If you're just running a single virtual mode server, which is probably sensible on a Raspberry Pi, then this should always be display :1.

* historically, the command was vncserver, but we changed this to try and avoid some of the confusion between virtual and service mode. We still create vncserver as a symbolic link to vncserver-virtual for compatibility.

Martin Frezman

Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:33 am

OK - good to know. Sensible way to do it.

francegue

Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:46 am

Hi All,

I manually installed the RealVNC server following the instructions here:
https://www.realvnc.com/docs/raspberry- ... pi-connect

Now, when I tried to connect to my Raspberry using the RealVNC viewer for Mac I am asked for credentials, and if I use the default ones (user pi) I get an error that says that my username/password is not correct.

I tried to search on internet but it is not very clear to me how to set the credentials to login and why the default ones do not work. Note that I don't have a monitor connected to my Raspberry so I would like to configure it via command line.

Is there a command line to set username/password?
Can you help me?

Thanks!

sconemad

Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:14 pm

Assuming your RealVNC Server is using the default setting of "UNIX password" authentication, you should use the username "pi" and the password for the pi account ("raspberry" by default, unless you have changed it).

You can change the password for the pi account from raspi-config, or the graphical app found in the desktop menu under Preferences > Raspberry Pi Configuration.

If you want to use a separate password for VNC, which is not linked to a system account, then you could set the authentication type in the VNC options to "VNC password" and enter a suitable password when prompted.

AndrewB82

Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:49 am

Hi,

I'm quite new to Raspberry Pi and am experimenting to setup vnc connection, with small success. I am curious about one thing: my target configuration is "headless" Pi with iPad used as an emergency screen if GUI needed.

What is the difference between virtual (I assume this is the mode with virtual desktops) and service mode? One that I happen to find out myself is that with service mode I can still use my wireless keyboard and mouse paired with Raspberry, while with virtual desktop mouse and keyboard from Raspberry aren't working and the only way to interact is to use "touch" cursor on iPad, which is not very convenient. I am using RealVNC server and RealVNC Viewer for iOS.

Best regards,

Andrzej
sconemad wrote:Hi Martin,

I work for RealVNC and am involved in developing our server for the Raspberry Pi. I'll see if I can answer some of your questions below...
Martin Frezman wrote: I am a little bit surprised that it didn't come already working; with most "server" type things installed via "apt-get install", part of the install process is that it automatically does for you the stuff necessary to get the server running (and to run on boot in future). RealVNC does not do this.
It was a deliberate decision not to have any services started or enabled automatically upon package installation. Our server package can be used in a variety of ways (service mode, virtual mode), so we leave it up to the user to choose what they want to enable. The addition of the VNC option in raspi-config and the Raspberry Pi configuration desktop app (which enables our service mode server) was intended to make this easier to discover.
Martin Frezman wrote: I found "Raspberry Pi configuration" on the menu and I really like the GUI version of raspi-config. Good job there. I found the interfaces tab and enabled VNC. I found that it was now running, both via "ps" and via checking netstat. The following lines were added to the output of "netstat -na":

# netstat -na | grep 59

The 2nd and 3rd lines show an established TCP connection using the internal loopback address. This may or may not be related to the VNC Server (since you are grepping for 59, and the port numbers used here appear to be random, ephemeral ports). If you add the "p" option to netstat, it will show you the processes involved. We do use a loopback connection like this between our server (vncserver-x11) and user interface (vncserverui) processes, so my guess would be that this is what you are seeing here. This is simply an internal connection which is established between processes - it's not listening for external connections, so nothing to worry about here from a security point of view.
Martin Frezman wrote: Now, it seems to me that there are two things I'd like to be able to configure, but it looks like there is no way to configure these things in the GUI. I am sure that with enough pushing through the man pages (yes, I have done "man vncserver-virtual" and similar) and enough trial-and-error, it could be done, but I thought that was what we were trying to avoid with the new GUI and stuff.

Assuming you have enabled the VNC Server, you should see a VNC icon in the system tray on the desktop (on the right hand side next to the clock by default). Clicking on this should bring up the VNC status dialog, and allow you to access the options dialog, where you can configure all of the above. By "low level capture", I think you mean the direct capture mode, which is on the Troubleshooting page.
Martin Frezman wrote: Finally, note that I cannot connect to the Pi remotely using any of my existing VNC viewers. When I try from a Mac (using their "Screen Sharing", I get a message like "The software on the remote computer appears to be incompatible with this version of Screen Sharing.".

How to fix?
It sounds like you are using viewers which don't support our newer versions of the RFB protocol. As already mentioned by klricks, you can download our viewers from https://www.realvnc.com/download/vnc/, which I would recommend. However, if you really need to make it work with other viewers, you can do so by changing the "Authentication" option to "VNC password", and setting a separate VNC password, since these viewers do not support our system authentication (where you can login with the system credentials - i.e. pi/raspberry by default). Please note that the connection won't be encrypted in this case, hence why we recommend that you use the updated viewers from our site.

sconemad

Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:50 pm

AndrewB82 wrote:Hi,

I'm quite new to Raspberry Pi and am experimenting to setup vnc connection, with small success. I am curious about one thing: my target configuration is "headless" Pi with iPad used as an emergency screen if GUI needed.

What is the difference between virtual (I assume this is the mode with virtual desktops) and service mode? One that I happen to find out myself is that with service mode I can still use my wireless keyboard and mouse paired with Raspberry, while with virtual desktop mouse and keyboard from Raspberry aren't working and the only way to interact is to use "touch" cursor on iPad, which is not very convenient. I am using RealVNC server and RealVNC Viewer for iOS.

Best regards,

Andrzej
Hi,

Put simply, service mode allows you to connect to the console session - i.e. what you see if you have a monitor plugged into the Pi. Virtual mode creates a separate desktop in memory, which you can only access via VNC.

If you have a keyboard and mouse plugged into your Pi, then they also work on the console session, so you'll be able to see the effects of them when connected to the service mode server. The service mode server also has other advantages, such as being able to use the new experimental direct capture method, so you can see applications that render directly using the GPU, such as Minecraft, omxplayer and Kodi.

AndrewB82

Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:51 pm

Thanks! That's the info I struggled to find.

All the best,

Andrzej

chrisdfr

Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:19 pm

sconemad wrote:
Put simply, service mode allows you to connect to the console session - i.e. what you see if you have a monitor plugged into the Pi. Virtual mode creates a separate desktop in memory, which you can only access via VNC.
Hello,

How to put the sevice mode allowing the console session ?

Best regards

klricks

Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:44 pm

chrisdfr wrote:
sconemad wrote:
Hello,

How to put the sevice mode allowing the console session ?

Best regards
Access to the local console session is the default behavior of RealVNC which is installed in Raspbian Jessie Pixel.
You don't have to change anything.

chrisdfr

Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:26 pm

My Raspberry run with Raspbian Jessie Pixel.

So, with my Mac OS X 10.11.6 with the VNC viewer downloaded, the vnc works. Excepted a few problem like black screen for some softs like Minecraft. But this is not my main problem.

Under another Mac under 10.6.8, I would like to use the default share screen installed on OS X in place of VNC viewer (that is not supported I think, but this is not the point). When I try to get the Raspi I get "Fail to connect to RPI: be sure the share screen is activated....". Well, doesn't work.

I tried to change unix to vnc password but the result is the same.

Any idea ?

Thanks
Christine

rompelstilchen

Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:39 am

thas angers me beyond belief, if you decide to install a package on rpi, then at least you should use some standard failover if the viewer does not support your special proprietary protocol

jose1711_

Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:31 pm

the following did the trick for me:

Code: Select all

ssh rpi
vncserver-virtual -Encryption PreferOn -Authentication VncAuth
# wait for the display number (last line of the output) to appear
# from my main computer: vncviewer rpi:displaynumber (e. g. raspberrypi:1)
j

kbellis

Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:03 pm

Hope reviving this thread is okay rather than starting a new thread.
[moderator: No its not, you should have started a new thread]

I'm very new to the Raspberry Pi 3B+, Raspbian (installed using NOOBS), and in particular, am totally in over my head when dealing with network, protocols, etc. When I saw that the raspberrypi.org had given its blessing in the use of RealVNC server on the RPi, I took solace, and installed it. Configuration from the get go was pretty easy following the instructions and was very happy to see the results on my Windows 10 PC and on my Nexus7 Android tablet. Life seemed very good, until yesterday.

I was looking at the syslog out of curiosity and saw hundreds or thousands of attempted entries which typically looked like this:

Code: Select all

raspberrypi vncserver-x11[466,root]: Connections: blacklist timeout expired for 112.85.42.124
Feb  6 06:58:51 raspberrypi vncserver-x11[466,root]: Connections: connected: 112.85.42.124::61087 (TCP)
Feb  6 06:58:53 raspberrypi vncserver-x11[466,root]: Connections: disconnected: 112.85.42.124::61087 (TCP) ([AuthFailure] Either the username was not recognised, or the password was incorrect)
Feb  6 06:58:53 raspberrypi vncserver-x11[466,root]: Connections: rejecting blacklisted connection: 112.85.42.124

If the raspberrypi.org is still endorsing RealVNC Server to be running on the RPi, could somebody please update the original instructions on how to prevent these unwanted attempts to access the RPi running RealVNC Server? And could those instructions also be posted here in this thread?

FWIW - I went looking for the answer to this question on this forum when somebody else unfamiliar with this arena posted a similar question. He was belittled for not knowing better, when there had been no guidance given from the start.

If IP filtering must be configured by the user, then they should at least be given a primer insofar as how to do this in the context of RPi and RealVNC Server, and given notice before installing RealVNC Server.

Again, I know very little about any of this stuff, but could the user just block all IPs from the start except for an explicit whitelist created at the time of installation by the user; and later able to be modified by the user?

Thank you very much for any replies.

Kind regards,

Kelly

sconemad

Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:09 am

It looks like you've got your vnc port open to the internet. In which case it's normal to see these sorts of connection attempts - you'd see the same with ssh too. You should be ok provided your password is strong enough (and not the default 'raspberry'). You'll see the vnc server is throttling these connection attempts with its blacklist feature, which makes it difficult for anyone to guess your password by trying lots of different ones.

I can suggest several ways in which you could make your system more secure though:

1) Use RealVNC's cloud connectivity, and disable direct connections. This means you won't have a port open for anyone to connect to. The only connections permitted will be those brokered via RealVNC's cloud services. This means that only you, or people you've explicitly invited to your team will be able to attempt a connection.

2) Setup multi-factor authentication using something like Google authenticator. It's not too difficult - I posted a guide on how to do it here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... p?t=226283 (You can set this up for ssh too in a similar way).

BTW, these suggestions are not mutually exclusive, so you could do one or the other or both.

kbellis

Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:46 am

@sconemad
Thanks, I will have a go at both, perhaps. Is there a link to the outline procedure for option 1? Also, I'm retired and have been using only the free personal home version of RealVNC. Will both options be allowed for this type of account?

Kind regards,

Kelly

kbellis

Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:05 pm

Hello sconemad,

In trying to answer this on my own, I've reviewed raspberry-pi-connect-cloud however, not all of the bits are adding up for me.

Beginning first with no longer allowing direct connections over TCP on the RPi 3B+ running VNC Server 6.4.0 (r39899) ARMv6, I followed these steps:
RealVNC-Connection-Options.png
RealVNC-Connection-Options.png (196.31 KiB) Viewed 3605 times
Then reading and re-reading raspberry-pi-connect-cloud I saw nothing in regards to how to connect only through the cloud with direct TCP connections turned off.

What am I missing?

On the Windows 10 64-bit PC running VNC Viewer 6.19.107 (r39927) x64, connections efforts fail after timing out.

Return to “General discussion”