DeathorGlory9

Re: Is a raspberry Pi for me?

Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:35 am

I am and 18 year old with minimal experience with programming and some of the more in depth aspects of computers who wants to go into the IT industry.

I am fairly competent around computers I have a cert 3 in information technology and have just finished a cert 4 on networking (although I still have almost no idea how I passed that course). I have used Linux before but that was a brief fling.

My end goal would be creating a mini computer with a built in screen (maybe touch screen) and keyboard even if it takes several years to make.

Moor

Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:19 am

I don\'t think anyone knows what type of person the RasPi is perfect-made for.

That said, if you\'re willing to get into it -- if you will invest time and energy into learning what you want to do -- I say you\'ll be able to do it.

That said, for you specifically: My RasPi is going to be connected to a cheap USB keyboard and a small DVD player which is currently lying around in my house, but which cost $60 (As much as a model A and B, together! OhMyGosh!) that can take composite input. It\'s not a touch screen, but it fits the other bits of your goal. Unless you want it to look like an actual computer (I\'ll be carrying mine around in a canvas bag, I think...), in which case you could probably attach them together with some screws and some stuff from a hobbyist shop.

For a touch screen, just wait and work at it a bit, and I\'m sure either you or someone else will have made it work.

So yes, I think a RasPi would serve your desires perfectly. (And yes, in case your wondering, I also had an image of a fancy waiter bringing you a pi(e) on a silver plate.)

obarthelemy

Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:25 am

Short answer: yes, and you won\'t even feel bad if you break it ^^ There a topic in the \"projects\" section about building a tablet.
Maybe it will help you choose an area of focus. \"IT industry\" sounds very vague. I know 18 is terribly young to have to choose (and I couldn\'t, way back when ^^), but the paths to hardware engineer, developer, and sysadmin are mainly different; and then there are hundreds of sub-specializations. People get typecast fairly quickly, you might as well try and control what you\'ll be typecast as: quickly try a bit of everything, and to try negate context. A nice teacher, or better materials/toys in one area might make it seem \"better\", though in the end it won\'t suit you.

axiomprime

Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:41 am

Yes. It is the perfect foundation for many projects. I expect mine will go through many incarnations before becoming the brain of a six-legged suicide research-bot.

Return to “General discussion”