enderandrew

Reasonable speculation for a 2017 release?

Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:14 pm

I'm thinking of buying my first Pi for a retro gaming build. The Raspberry Pi 3 is already quite impressive for the cost and may very well already suit my needs.

I'm considering holding off until February to see if there is a 2017 upgraded release.

I've seen other wishlist/speculation threads get locked due to personal attacks, but I don't see why we can't attempt to have a civil and reasonable speculation/wishlist thread.

I've read in other threads not to expect a real upgrade from the Pi 3 for 3 years or so, but the foundation has had major releases in 2012, 2014, 2015 and 2016. After the initial gap of two years, they've had at least one model release a year for the past three years. The trend suggests there will be at least one new model/upgrade next year.

Some of the frequent requests seem best handled with accessories as they aren't needed for most cases, or would raise per unit costs beyond the goal of the foundation.

I'm curious what people think are reasonable guesses at what we might see next year,

Given the popularity of the Pi in media servers and gaming systems, I'd personally like to see a bump in the GPU portion of the SoC (which apparently hasn't changed at all since 2012). I'm hoping a new GPU would bring better gaming performance, h265 support, perhaps HDMI 2.0 support. 4k, etc.

Pithagoros

Re: Reasonable speculation for a 2017 release?

Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:54 pm

I don't know when the next version will arrive, but Pi buying is a serial matter.

Buy a Pi3 now, work with it, design your project. When the new one arrives in the future buy it and drop it into your project which by then will be well advanced. They are generally back-compatible.

fruitoftheloom

Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:13 pm

enderandrew wrote:I'm thinking of buying my first Pi for a retro gaming build. The Raspberry Pi 3 is already quite impressive for the cost and may very well already suit my needs.

I'm considering holding off until February to see if there is a 2017 upgraded release.

I've seen other wishlist/speculation threads get locked due to personal attacks, but I don't see why we can't attempt to have a civil and reasonable speculation/wishlist thread.

I've read in other threads not to expect a real upgrade from the Pi 3 for 3 years or so, but the foundation has had major releases in 2012, 2014, 2015 and 2016. After the initial gap of two years, they've had at least one model release a year for the past three years. The trend suggests there will be at least one new model/upgrade next year.

Some of the frequent requests seem best handled with accessories as they aren't needed for most cases, or would raise per unit costs beyond the goal of the foundation.

I'm curious what people think are reasonable guesses at what we might see next year,

Given the popularity of the Pi in media servers and gaming systems, I'd personally like to see a bump in the GPU portion of the SoC (which apparently hasn't changed at all since 2012). I'm hoping a new GPU would bring better gaming performance, h265 support, perhaps HDMI 2.0 support. 4k, etc.
Already discussed ad-infinitum, the most recent last week:

viewtopic.php?f=62&t=165124

Yes there will be a release next year it will be the CM3 Family.

What you ideally require does exist, just that is not a Raspberry Pi

May I ask how much you understand about the hardware of the Raspberry Pi and what can be achieved whilst still keeping backward compatibility !!
Last edited by fruitoftheloom on Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Retired disgracefully.....
......to an uncomplicated life !

Rather than negativity think outside the box !

Heater

Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:19 pm

It's pointless to speculate.

Nothing will be announced until it's ready to ship. That is how things have been going.

You have read the previous speculation/wish list threads, which recur almost daily, so you already know that.

Get your Pi now and be amazed at what it can do. Waiting is only depriving yourself.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

fruitoftheloom

Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:24 pm

Poppycock & Balderdash
Retired disgracefully.....
......to an uncomplicated life !

Rather than negativity think outside the box !

Heater

Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:29 pm

fruitoftheloom,
Poppycock & Balderdash
To which of the above posts are you referring?
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

gregeric

Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:30 pm

enderandrew wrote:I've read in other threads not to expect a real upgrade from the Pi 3 for 3 years or so, but the foundation has had major releases in 2012, 2014, 2015 and 2016. After the initial gap of two years, they've had at least one model release a year for the past three years. The trend suggests there will be at least one new model/upgrade next year.
With the Pi3, hardware-wise they have wrung every last feature out of the SoC & its peripherals they can - there's not a single GPIO pin going spare. Those things you mention are on everyone's wish list, but require more substantial updates to the SoC than we have seen over the yearly cycles you have identified. So likely out with the annual cycles for Pi4 release. Instead we can look forwards to Eric Anholt's GPU driver, CM3, Pi3A, & at the bottom end perhaps a revised Zero with an upgraded arm core.

Don't waste time waiting, get the current flagship Pi & start your project now.

gregeric

Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:33 pm

Heater wrote:fruitoftheloom,
Poppycock & Balderdash
I think it was a recursive self-referencing one. A singularity, a black hole, into which this thread will be consumed.

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:35 pm

gregeric wrote:
Heater wrote:fruitoftheloom,
Poppycock & Balderdash
I think it was a recursive self-referencing one. A singularity, a black hole, into which this thread will be consumed.
It's already starting to deteriorate as these threads sadly always do, so let's nip it in the bud right now :D
Alex Eames RasPi.TV, RasP.iO

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:26 am

gregeric wrote:
enderandrew wrote:I've read in other threads not to expect a real upgrade from the Pi 3 for 3 years or so, but the foundation has had major releases in 2012, 2014, 2015 and 2016. After the initial gap of two years, they've had at least one model release a year for the past three years. The trend suggests there will be at least one new model/upgrade next year.
With the Pi3, hardware-wise they have wrung every last feature out of the SoC & its peripherals they can - there's not a single GPIO pin going spare. Those things you mention are on everyone's wish list, but require more substantial updates to the SoC than we have seen over the yearly cycles you have identified. So likely out with the annual cycles for Pi4 release. Instead we can look forwards to Eric Anholt's GPU driver, CM3, Pi3A, & at the bottom end perhaps a revised Zero with an upgraded arm core.

Don't waste time waiting, get the current flagship Pi & start your project now.
If I were the OP I'd pay a lot of attention to this post.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

Return to “General discussion”