Bigcat123

Re: Rev2 boards are here!

Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:15 pm

Damn it I hate having Old Tech!

Please tell me that GPIO development on Rev1 will not stagnate and die.... I use the Pi for alot of GPIO stuff and don't want to be a new one! GPIO library developers please CONTINUE creating stuff for the original Pi.

Thanks
Just a beginner sharing his experiences on his way to geek nirvana...

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:41 pm

Bigcat123 wrote:Damn it I hate having Old Tech!

Please tell me that GPIO development on Rev1 will not stagnate and die.... I use the Pi for alot of GPIO stuff and don't want to be a new one! GPIO library developers please CONTINUE creating stuff for the original Pi.

Thanks
The differences are really minor, so you should be absolutely fine. The code to check which rev you have is tiny, and pretty easy to write, so any GPIO libraries etc shoudl be easily able to accomodate the changes.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

simplesi

Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:12 pm

The only thing I can see that affects my simple GPIO Pyhton handler for Scratch is the change to Pin13 but I really don't understand what the change is/for/why but mainly can I still use it as one of the "general purpose" straight forward GPIO inputs/ouputs like the other ones e.g Pins11,12,15,16,18,22 and 7

regards
Simon
Seeking help with Scratch and I/O stuff for Primary age children
http://cymplecy.wordpress.com/ @cymplecy on twitter

markbee

Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:42 pm

Yes, you can!

techpaul

Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:17 pm

Glad of -

1/ Mounting holes
2/ 1V8 fix for reliability across all boards made
3/ HDMI fix
4/ Fuses gone

Looking better. Says he who just modded his China version for better GPIO connector as I will be plugging various cables and boards in and out over next few weeks.
Attachments
smallNew-GPIO-top-board.jpg
Better GPIO connector
smallNew-GPIO-top-board.jpg (24.02 KiB) Viewed 2733 times
Just another techie on the net - For GPIO boards see http:///www.facebook.com/pcservicesreading
or http://www.pcserviceselectronics.co.uk/pi/

pygmy_giant

Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:48 pm

Dduw bendithia y Gymraeg!
Ostendo ignarus addo scientia.

kghunt

Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:57 pm

It's a shame on rev 2 the USB is not in line with the edge of the board and the sd card swapped for micro sd flush mount.

Not that I'm that bothered but it would be nice to have all the edges in line with no sticky out bits.

jojopi

Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:28 pm

kghunt wrote:It's a shame on rev 2 the USB is not in line with the edge of the board
I bet a lot of case designers disagree with you on that!

There is no obvious way the usb could be pulled back, anyway, that would require a massive redesign. The ethernet could have been stuck out further to match, but that is not really any better.

W. H. Heydt

Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:43 pm

jojopi wrote:I bet a lot of case designers disagree with you on that!
As it is, a lot of case designers are going to need to think about how to deal with the mounting holes... (I need to visit local hardware stores and see what there is in the way of M2.5 fittings...or what the closet size SAE is that isn't any bigger than that is...6-32, maybe?)

toxibunny

Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:42 pm

so, apart from the new GPIO and the mounting holes, what do I have to do to upmod my version 1 raspi to a version 2?
note: I may or may not know what I'm talking about...

toxibunny

Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:44 pm

Oh, and is there *anything* we can do with those 'between the RCA and the analogue audio socket' pins that might make us earlyish birds feel superior over the new folks?

jojopi

Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:54 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:As it is, a lot of case designers are going to need to think about how to deal with the mounting holes... (I need to visit local hardware stores and see what there is in the way of M2.5 fittings...or what the closet size SAE is that isn't any bigger than that is...6-32, maybe?)
But if you want your design to be compatible with both revisions then you can not rely on the mounting holes. And if you want to use them even optionally you will need to consider Rev1's D10 very carefully.

Serac

Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:11 pm

[quote="W. H. Heydt"][quote="jojopi"](I need to visit local hardware stores and see what there is in the way of M2.5 fittings...or what the closet size SAE is that isn't any bigger than that is...6-32, maybe?)/quote]

If you have access to archaic fixings, 8B.A. at 2.2mm dia will be a sloppy fit. If the fixing holes are truly 2.9mm dia, then 6B.A. (2.8mm dia) will be a nice snug fit. For the Americans, a #2-56 or #3-48 should fit the bill (#4 or larger is going to be too big).

W. H. Heydt

Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:22 pm

Serac wrote:
W. H. Heydt wrote:(I need to visit local hardware stores and see what there is in the way of M2.5 fittings...or what the closet size SAE is that isn't any bigger than that is...6-32, maybe?)/quote]

If you have access to archaic fixings, 8B.A. at 2.2mm dia will be a sloppy fit. If the fixing holes are truly 2.9mm dia, then 6B.A. (2.8mm dia) will be a nice snug fit. For the Americans, a #2-56 or #3-48 should fit the bill (#4 or larger is going to be too big).
SAE (either NF or NC) I can get...older than that, probably be hard to find (I know of one likely place, but I've never actually been there...just had it mentioned in reference). It's quite likely I can get the right metric sizes, though. The 6-32 was a guess from looking at the board pic. You are probably correct about not going over 3-48.

As for the other comment about case issues...if provision is made for a spacer sleeve on the bolt, under the board, one could ahve a case that accommodates either version. Another alternative would be a supporting plastic sleeve that comes to the bottom of the board (Rev. 2.0), but can be carved away for a Rev. 1.0 board. It would be a one directional change, though.

In time, it is likely that the market for Rev. 1.0 cases will dwindle away (so I guess the best bet is to stock up on a few extras while one can get them....)

thexman

Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:29 pm

Question as Revision 1 has proven not worthy, under UK law are we entitled to a free upgrade and return of these sub par cards to get the Version 2 cards which clearly fixes quite a few issues

if i buy a £10000 car and it was deaned not fit for purpose i would get money or replacement how does it work with the Pi.?
one armed controls engineer, my grammar is bad but lets face it most keyboards don't suit a one armed man

jojopi

Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:45 pm

thexman wrote:if i buy a £10000 car and it was deaned not fit for purpose i would get money or replacement how does it work with the Pi.?
Yes! If you buy a car and the manufacturer adds an extra socket in the next revision you are definitely entitled to a full refund, and you can keep the original car as well.

Actually, though, there is nothing added in the Pi rev2 that could not be made available on the previous boards with some very delicate soldering. You may find it cheaper to hire than engineer than a lawyer.

jamesh

Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:46 pm

thexman wrote:Question as Revision 1 has proven not worthy, under UK law are we entitled to a free upgrade and return of these sub par cards to get the Version 2 cards which clearly fixes quite a few issues

if i buy a £10000 car and it was deaned not fit for purpose i would get money or replacement how does it work with the Pi.?
No, because it is worthy and not sub-par. But if you really want to try it on, contact the people who sold it to you. Although in your case it won't make any difference as the problem you are seeing is a software one, not a hardware one.

If you bought a £10000 car and it wasn't fit for purpose and that purpose was ploughing a field, it's your fault you bought a car not a tractor.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

toxibunny

Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:07 pm

thexman wrote:Question as Revision 1 has proven not worthy, under UK law are we entitled to a free upgrade and return of these sub par cards to get the Version 2 cards which clearly fixes quite a few issues

Sorry, I can't help it...

ImageImageImageImage

thexman

Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:14 pm

glad it made you smile worth a try i bet even on ebay now the revision 1s wont sell for what we bought them for.

you cannot please some people any of the time.

all i wanted was the USB port to work and react the same as every other linux box on the plant but it still seams to hard to fix.
one armed controls engineer, my grammar is bad but lets face it most keyboards don't suit a one armed man

toxibunny

Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:30 pm

I get that you feel burned that the USB has problems, but I'm afraid we're all going to have to live with what we've got - the new revision doesn't fix all the USB problems, and the USB problems it *does* fix are doable on the Rev.1 Raspis with a bit of soldering...

diehard

Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:52 am

What's with the whiners. It's only $35. Donate your rev 1 to a school and order a rev 2. Remember to get out of the house and enjoy life.

SirLagz

Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:07 am

Only thing is that if we mod our Rev1s to be fuseless, we void our warranty I'm assuming ?
I don't particularly mind...I've voided my warranty already because the SD card broke the socket lol.
My Blog - http://www.sirlagz.net
Visit my blog for Tips, Tricks, Guides and More !
WiFi Issues ? Have a look at this post ! http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=44044

W. H. Heydt

Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:29 am

thexman wrote: all i wanted was the USB port to work and react the same as every other linux box on the plant but it still seams to hard to fix.
Just wait a few years and sell it as GENUINE version I Raspberry Pi Model B with 256MB of RAM. People will say, "how quaint!" and pay a premium for it. then they'll show it off next to their Rev. 6 with 16GB at 6GHz Pi.

jamesh

Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:54 am

Just FYI, the requirement for the poster is to support 2x13 port powered hubs, something I would bet some Iinux devices won't support. The problem he is seeing is, I believe entirely software related, a problem which is being worked on, but that won;t be fixed by changing to the Rev b.

adlambert

Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:38 am

thexman wrote:glad it made you smile worth a try i bet even on ebay now the revision 1s wont sell for what we bought them for.

you cannot please some people any of the time.

all i wanted was the USB port to work and react the same as every other linux box on the plant but it still seams to hard to fix.
First 10,000 batch Raspberry Pis with no CE Mark are going to be **SPECIAL**.

I have two Rev 1s and I have been happily playing with them without noticing that there was any problem that needed to be fixed! They seem perfectly perfect to me.

I am ordering a Rev.2 for my collection and can now retire my non-CE Pi as a keepsake.

And I've a Gertboard on order, the great thing about Gertboards is that they are Made in [Insert nation of purchaser here].

Return to “General discussion”