jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Rev2 boards are here!

Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:05 pm

J Sanderson wrote:The Foundation does like shooting itself in the foot. Taking down photo's of boards that are in the hands of customers is plain stupid and shows the foundation in a very bad light. Do they really want to be compared to other fruit companies?
If the photo's had been taken by someone surreptitiously in the supply train, breaking a duty of confidentiality then yes that would be appropriate.
You are doing so much good why spoil it?
Since you have no idea why we have had to take the pictures down, I'd suggest that commenting on it is pointless. The Foundation is having to recover a uncomfortable situation here, and this is the best/only way to do it. The underlying reason is unfortunately completely out of the Foundations control, although it has almost ruined a great deal of work. All will be revealed in due course, and I would again suggest speculation is pointless.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

hippy

Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:15 pm

Picture URL is [Mod removed - please don't repost]
Given it's the first image that turns up with an appropriate search on a particular search engine, and the same reveals the original thread which contains it, it's going to be pretty hard to keep that image from being discovered.

MmmPi

Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:19 pm

An official photo will likely come very soon. Do we need to be so impatient? :roll: And the foundation has certainly earned the benefit of the doubt.
Last edited by MmmPi on Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ravenous

Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:26 pm

I get the feeling one ARM didn't know what the other was doing :lol:

Oh well best crack on with releasing the official announcement to prevent conspiracy theorists getting the wrong end of the stick... we know what they're like...

simplesi

Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:35 pm

I would again suggest speculation is pointless.
Oh - I don't think its pointless - it keeps us off NASAs back over their so-called Mars Rover - I mean, parachute, retro-rockets, sky-crane , nuclear powered, laser zapping autonomous robot - anyone can photoshop images from a desert! :)

So what did it show on the photo - a picture of Eben made out of the pcb tracks?
Simon
Seeking help with Scratch and I/O stuff for Primary age children
http://cymplecy.wordpress.com/ @cymplecy on twitter

bredman

Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:40 pm

Did you not see the reflection in the metal casing of the Ethernet port? I must admit that I was shocked what was going on in that photo studio.

meltwater

Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:41 pm

simplesi wrote:
I would again suggest speculation is pointless.
Oh - I don't think its pointless - it keeps us off NASAs back over their so-called Mars Rover - I mean, parachute, retro-rockets, sky-crane , nuclear powered, laser zapping autonomous robot - anyone can photoshop images from a desert! :)

So what did it show on the photo - a picture of Eben made out of the pcb tracks?
Simon
Now you mention it...the whole NASA thing does sound far fetched. Next they'll be saying it has its own twitter feed.

Update: twitter.com/MarsCuriosity I'll get ma coat.
Last edited by meltwater on Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My new book: goo.gl/dmVtsc

Meltwater's Pi Hardware - pihardware.com

Like the MagPi? @TheMagP1 @TheMagPiTeam

jamesh

Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:42 pm

Ravenous wrote:I get the feeling one ARM didn't know what the other was doing :lol:

Oh well best crack on with releasing the official announcement to prevent conspiracy theorists getting the wrong end of the stick... we know what they're like...
I'd like to add that the Foundation knew exactly what it was doing, but best laid plans etc etc.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

jamesh

Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:44 pm

hippy wrote:
Picture URL is [Mod removed - please don't repost]
Given it's the first image that turns up with an appropriate search on a particular search engine, and the same reveals the original thread which contains it, it's going to be pretty hard to keep that image from being discovered.
But at least the Foundation is doing all it can on its own site- which is the point.

RaTTuS

Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:45 pm

|I think we have the answer now
http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/1925
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

jamesh

Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:53 pm

RaTTuS wrote:|I think we have the answer now
That'll be it!

MmmPi

Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:00 pm

And the thread or picture was never taken down. "Made in th UK" was merely hidden.

meltwater

Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:02 pm

jamesh wrote:
RaTTuS wrote:|I think we have the answer now
That'll be it!
Annnnd relax...

Glad the news is out, and it is such great news too.

Here's hoping Rev1 stocks were already gone that everyone will get Rev2 boards now. Although most the changes "could" be hacked on an old one, I think (well I'll leave the mounting holes...).

My new book: goo.gl/dmVtsc

Meltwater's Pi Hardware - pihardware.com

Like the MagPi? @TheMagP1 @TheMagPiTeam

Jim Manley
Location: SillyCon Valley, California, and Powell, Wyoming, USA, plus The Universe

Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:18 pm

jamesh wrote:RaspberryPi Approved Bolt cutters will be available in the shop soon.
Well, I suppose that's one way to keep sales of boards up, as well as provide an additional revenue stream to the Foundation, but I think you'd better check with the adult supervision there before you put the Foundation on record as not only favoring theft, but aiding and abetting it. Some things just aren't funny and theft is one of them. Cut it out. Now.
The best things in life aren't things ... but, a Pi comes pretty darned close! :D
"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- W.B. Yeats
In theory, theory & practice are the same - in practice, they aren't!!!

PeterO

Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:20 pm

The article only says Farnell is using Sony's production facility, so is seems RS is still producing theirs in China.
PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

jamesh

Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:20 pm

Jim Manley wrote:
jamesh wrote:RaspberryPi Approved Bolt cutters will be available in the shop soon.
Well, I suppose that's one way to keep sales of boards up, as well as provide an additional revenue stream to the Foundation, but I think you'd better check with the adult supervision there before you put the Foundation on record as not only favoring theft, but aiding and abetting it. Some things just aren't funny and theft is one of them. Cut it out. Now.
ALERT. Sense of humour failure!

jamesh

Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:22 pm

PeterO wrote:The article only says Farnell is using Sony's production facility, so is seems RS is still producing theirs in China.
PeterO
I believe that is correct. Note that the Foundation does not specify where the boards must be made, so it's entirely up to the disties where they make them.

lavers

Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:00 pm

So out of curiosity, what exactly was the reason this had to be so hush-hush until the announcement? Hadn't informed everyone involved yet?

RaTTuS

Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:07 pm

the foundation probably wanted to do a big post + blog + bbc announcement all on one day
but some company who has managed to make a shed load of them and keep production / distribution going at a massive rate got ahead of the game and spoiled the party

I'll not mention what other things said same company have leaked / splugered / messed up in the past with....

however they have managed to supply a good quantity of boards to the general public :D
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

jamesh

Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:24 pm

RaTTuS wrote:the foundation probably wanted to do a big post + blog + bbc announcement all on one day
but some company who has managed to make a shed load of them and keep production / distribution going at a massive rate got ahead of the game and spoiled the party

I'll not mention what other things said same company have leaked / splugered / messed up in the past with....

however they have managed to supply a good quantity of boards to the general public :D
Hmm.

Ravenous

Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:36 pm

lavers wrote:So out of curiosity, what exactly was the reason this had to be so hush-hush until the announcement? Hadn't informed everyone involved yet?
I can guess a few alternate versions of the problem, and there is probably a third I haven't though of.

Anyway the raspi foundation was supposed to keep it quiet, but "somebody" spilled the beans by sending out the new boards, then the foundation had to actively make sure they weren't themselves spreading rumours to avoid being accused of leaking a manufacturer's plans. Did I guess right?

Anyway water under the (Severn) bridge now. All good news.

jamesh

Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:46 pm

The appearance of the new boards 'in the wild' meant a lot of rushing in the last couple of days to bring forward all the announcements. How they got in to the wild, I do not know. It should have been a couple more weeks.

hippy

Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:05 pm

Will we be getting schematics for version 2.0 in due course ?

That's rhetorical I'd guess and, as the gun was jumped and this has thrown any well prepared plans to the wind, I wouldn't dream of asking why they are not here already but a rough ETA would be nice.

Also, now the GPIO board version/revision links have gone, does anyone have a snippet for bare metal coders to use to determine that ? I guess it's just a case of read a register but not sure where that would be.

arm2

Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:08 pm

I don't think it safe to assume if you order from Farnell now that you will get a Rev2 board. It is quite possible that further shipments of Rev1 may be in transit from the far east to Farnell.
Has anyone had a Rev2 from RS?

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:14 pm

Thanks guys. Some of you guessed this one correctly - a batch of the Made in the UK boards was released to the public before the date later this month that Sony had planned for the official announcement, so we've been scrambling for the last two days to get our, Farnell's and Sony's press operation in sync. Thanks for being patient - and MAN, some of you are paranoid!
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

Return to “General discussion”