liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Rev2 boards are here!

Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:46 pm

http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/1929

Lots to digest here, including reset, power over USB, MOUNTING HOLES and lots more.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

kenco coffee bean

Re: News articles and blog posts about Raspberry Pi

Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:49 pm

Hi Liz - i tried to post a comment about the new board but for 15 mins i keep getting this and do as it says!!! Error 1: Click back and type in the password.

my reply to the 2.0 board is.. great work on the improvements but we dont see any update on the GUI driver for adding our own LCD screens then? IPhone 4 screen seems very popular and low cost with high resolution! and from the forum people say it should be easy to install but you guys need to build the driver or allow end user to do this?! i was hoping this would have been sorted for the new PCB!

any ideas on when to expect this?!
kind regards
Chris

RaTTuS

Re: Rev2 boards are here!

Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:50 pm

and RS waiters will be getting them 1st ?
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

liz

Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:52 pm

Everyone currently waiting for an RS one will get one, yes. But they won't get them first - Farnell are already out of the original boards in some locations and are sending out rev2 boards already to some customers.

c.cam108

Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:35 pm

Are the changes to the GPIO allocation connector going to break the pin naming used by GPIO libraries?

jbeale

Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:45 pm

Just copying this snippet from the blog comments for reference.
JBeale on September 5, 2012 at 4:26 pm said:
The original GPIO connector had five pins labelled “do not connect” to provide for possible future additional I/O connections. Now that the 4 new I/O nets actually go to a separate connector, does that mean we can rely on the “DNC” pins on P1 being connected to ground?
eben on September 5, 2012 at 4:52 pm said:
Yes (note – 5V and 3V3 for some of the pins).
JBeale on September 5, 2012 at 5:36 pm said:
So to be specific, I gather we may now rely on these P1 GPIO pins to remain as shown in the Rev1 schematic.

Code: Select all

P1-04: +5V0
P1-09: GND
P1-14: GND
P1-17: +3V3
P1-20: GND
P1-25: GND
We should update the elinux wiki to that effect.
The ground and power rails are useful to have available at the P1 GPIO, so I'm happy we have official permission to rely on them now :-)

jbeale

Total GPIO count now exceeds Arduino

Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:53 pm

The R-Pi Rev.1 has 17 GPIO on the P1 GPIO connector. With Rev.2 providing four new pins on the P5 connector, there are 17+4 = 21 GPIO total. An Arduino has 14 digital + 6 analog/digital = 20 GPIO pins, so the R-Pi now has a higher total GPIO count (although of course none are analog inputs).

adlambert

Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:56 pm

OK, I've ordered a Rev2 from RS. I already have a "First Edition" non CE Pi, and an early RS one, now need to figure out how to get a Rev1 with D14 missing.

troombatzia

Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:05 pm

Hello gentle Liz.

My Raspberry Pi was shipped on September 4th from Farnell UK to Italy. Any chance it will be the rev. 2 board? Thanks.

Stefano
English isn’t my first language, so please excuse any mistakes.

liz

Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:25 pm

It's possible; I know they have been shipping some from the UK, but it depends which of the boxes on the production line your particular unit will have come from - let us know!

troombatzia

Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:44 pm

liz wrote:It's possible; I know they have been shipping some from the UK, but it depends which of the boxes on the production line your particular unit will have come from - let us know!
Thanks Liz.

Hope to report news soon. Anyway, I will be happy with USB revision. ;-)
English isn’t my first language, so please excuse any mistakes.

croston

Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:41 pm

c.cam108 wrote:Are the changes to the GPIO allocation connector going to break the pin naming used by GPIO libraries?
I think so. I'll put another release of RPi.GPIO out shortly that will let you specify board revision to compensate.

MattHawkinsUK

Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:42 pm

Liz, excellent news. I like the idea of mounting holes and the extra GPIO pins. My garage security system will not have to skimp on PIRs now! Just waiting for the official camera :D
My Raspberry Pi blog and home of the BerryClip Add-on board : http://www.raspberrypi-spy.co.uk/
Follow me on Google+, Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter (@RPiSpy)

Chris1975

Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:53 pm

Hi,all & Liz.
I recently ordered my RPi from Newark so it's very likely I'll receive the Rev.2 board. I also
ordered the RPi Cobbler from Adafruit. Am I likely to have any conflict with the new board?
Also,with the new power over hub can I use a spare usb socket on my tv to get power?

Thanks in advance.

Lob0426

Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:10 am

I guess I won't have to work so hard to back-power a RasPi anymore. :shock: I knew a revision would come, but not this soon. I am glad that so many changes were rolled into these revisions. Mounting holes is really great. Thats going to make things a lot easier. The removal of components isn't going to hurt your partners bottom line either.

I will be interested to see how the new pins pan out. Power over USB will be a big plus for some people. I have been using it for a month or more already. my biggest concern has been the lack of a fuse for thios method of powering a RasPi.

Fixing the 1v8 will quiet things down some. Should also help reduce some peoples problems.

Great job and keep reading the forums. :D
512MB version 2.0 as WordPress Server
Motorola Lapdock with Pi2B
Modded Rev 1.0 with pin headers at USB

http://rich1.dyndns.tv/
(RS)Allied ships old stock to reward its Customers for long wait!

SirLagz

Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:20 am

Woooo I was about to order another Pi, good thing I waited :)
Thanks for all the effort :)
My Blog - http://www.sirlagz.net
Visit my blog for Tips, Tricks, Guides and More !
WiFi Issues ? Have a look at this post ! http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=44044

Jim Manley
Location: SillyCon Valley, California, and Powell, Wyoming, USA, plus The Universe

Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:15 am

Thanks to the entire team for an upgrade so soon with so many improvements, no matter how small each might seem. The only question I have now is how are thieves going to steal my future boards if I can route the barbed wire through the handy-dandy mounting holes instead of the RCA jack? :D
The best things in life aren't things ... but, a Pi comes pretty darned close! :D
"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- W.B. Yeats
In theory, theory & practice are the same - in practice, they aren't!!!

W. H. Heydt

Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:01 am

The Register has picked up the story... http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/09/06 ... i_2_ships/

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:10 am

Jim Manley wrote:Thanks to the entire team for an upgrade so soon with so many improvements, no matter how small each might seem. The only question I have now is how are thieves going to steal my future boards if I can route the barbed wire through the handy-dandy mounting holes instead of the RCA jack? :D
RaspberryPi Approved Bolt cutters will be available in the shop soon.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

markbee

Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:17 am

Are there any pictures of Rev2 anywhere?

arm2

Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:04 am

Re new P5
"This GPIO allocation provides access to ONE of:
SDA0, SCL0 (Operating independently of P1 SDA1, SCL1); or
PCM_CLK, PCM_FS, PCM_DIN, PCM_DOUT or I2S; or
Four GPIO signals."

but could I get SDA0, SCL0 & two GPIO signals?

Where is P6 (the RESET connector?)

arm2

Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:12 am

Re P5 and CASES
"... suitable attachment point for third-party clock and audio codec boards, and is pinned to be mounted (ideally) on the underside due to connector clash"
Errr I don't think I've seen a single case that could cope with any board mounted underneath!
Unless P5 is between two connectors why can't it be mounted on top going away from the clshing connector?

Photo's soon please! A good job our next design of RTC ran late, otherwise I'd have ordered them last week.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:06 am

arm2 wrote:
Where is P6 (the RESET connector?)
At the bottom, to the left of the HDMI connector.

gregeric

Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:25 am

arm2 wrote:Re P5 and CASES
"... suitable attachment point for third-party clock and audio codec boards, and is pinned to be mounted (ideally) on the underside due to connector clash"
Errr I don't think I've seen a single case that could cope with any board mounted underneath!
Unless P5 is between two connectors why can't it be mounted on top going away from the clshing connector?

Photo's soon please! A good job our next design of RTC ran late, otherwise I'd have ordered them last week.
Someone posted a picture in advance of the announcement - think the thread was locked and/or since-zapped so as not to preempt news release. Picture URL is [Mod removed - please don't repost] - credit to the original poster whose identity I cannot find.

Looks like the P5 header may be too close to P1 so the two adjacent headers can't be plugged in at the same time??

J Sanderson

Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:54 pm

deleted by poster
Last edited by J Sanderson on Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General discussion”