cnxsoft

Re: What do you think about decision X (aka a playing with fire thread)

Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:32 am

1) What is the purpose of the Raspberry Pi?

Teaching programming to kids.

2) How much experience do you think the Raspberry Pi Team has running a company on scale of 1 to 10

5. But no idea really.

3) On a scale of 1-5 how open source are you?
4. I\'ve always used open source for software development, but as a user I\'m using Windows although with some open source apps, e.g. gimp, libreoffice etc..

4) In no more than 4 sentences how do you think Question 3 affects Question 1?

euh...

5) What do you think the relationship is between the Raspberry Pi Foundation and Broadcom?

One key member of Raspberry Pi is part of Broadcom that allows R-Pi foundation to have good support and very low BOM cost. Broadcom is however not directly involved in R-Pi project.

6) Have you ever created your own custom bios (Or modified the bios at the code level)
I played around and modified some bootloaders (u-boot), but not PC Bios.

7) Have you ever installed a custom bios (not custom drivers, custom bios)
If by \"BIOS\" you mean \"bootloader\" then yes, otherwise no.

8 ) What is your current understanding of the GPU issue? (seriously guys your thoughts only, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don\'t respond to others)
What GPU issue ?

9) In no more than 4 sentences how do you think Question 8 affects question 1?
Ok. then I suppose it is about the closed source GPU driver. It will not affect question 1 at all, since kids learning programming would not know what to do with the GPU driver.

10) Bonus Question: Is any of this new knowledge for you, and if so does it change your opinion on any issue?
No.

Sylvain

Re: What do you think about decision X (aka a playing with fire thread)

Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:13 pm

[quote]
1) What is the purpose of the Raspberry Pi?
[/quote]

Nearly everything has already been said.

[quote]
2) How much experience do you think the Raspberry Pi Team has running a company on scale of 1 to 10 (With 1 being \"I think they\'re highly intelligent people, but have no experience running a business\" and 10 being \"They\'re the best around and nothings ever gonna keep them down)
[/quote]

No mater the experience they have in running *a* business or how professional they are in their \"everyday job\" or how kind and motivated they are, it\'s a new product in a new \"market\" with a new price range.
What I think is that they already have made some mistakes, that they are underestimating some important issues and that the delays are still going.

I don\'t say I would have done better, or that someone else would have done better but I think it\'s an hard job and if I should give them a quote on how they run *this* business until now, I would say 5, not more.

[quote]
3) On a scale of 1-5 how open source are you? (with 1 being \"I like Apple\'s mindset\" and 5 being \"I\'m such a die hard open source guy that I don\'t even buy socks without them coming with a full data sheet on every piece of equipment used from start to finish of the sock making process\") Feel free to give a one or two sentence reason behind your mindset but PLEASE don\'t respond to others it\'s only an opinion
[/quote]

I would say 3, triing to go 3.5.
I use free softwares as often as I can (and as they answer most of my needs). Professionaly, I try to make my client switching to free software when it\'s possible. It\'s not an easy job but I gain ground.

[quote]
4) In no more than 4 sentences how do you think Question 3 affects Question 1?
[/quote]

For me it\'s essential. If we want better knowledge sharing, more collaboration and better (free) software in the future, we must associate Raspi project (and therefore the children) to \"free world\" as much as possible.
Not doing that would be like teaching history/geography and civics without speaking of democraty.

[quote]
5) What do you think the relationship is between the Raspberry Pi Foundation and Broadcom?
[/quote]

At the moment, I see more insteresting things than problems but I\'m a bit worried about the future.

[quote]
6) Have you ever created your own custom bios (Or modified the bios at the code level)
[/quote]

No, but I\'m very happy that some people can do that for me.

[quote]
7) Have you ever installed a custom bios (not custom drivers, custom bios)
[/quote]

Yes, alternative router firmwares for exemple.

[quote]
8 ) What is your current understanding of the GPU issue?
[/quote]

On the whole thing, it\'s not such an important issue but I really think it will be a thorn in the side for the project in many ways, plus I don\'t really understand/like the way some people of the team see/explain this point.

[quote]
9) In no more than 4 sentences how do you think Question 8 affects question 1?
[/quote]

Hard to tell for the moment.
It may become important if the GPU power becomes needed to compensate the \"weak\" CPU power in some applications.

Sylvain.

Return to “General discussion”