cloud1771

multiple webcam streamer

Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:38 am

Ok, I am working on making a WIFI Remote Controlled Lawn Mower that I can control conferrable in my office. I was wondering if there was any software that would allow me to view 3-4 webcams via my network. I have a droid app on my phone call "IP Webcam" that is exactly what I am talking about but I plan to have 3 or 4 webcams.

And I plan to use Raspbian. and for my sake I would like maybe a gui setup utility but as long has know how to set something up that should work.

Thanks
Matt

ghans

Re: multiple webcam streamer

Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:40 am

People have problems to get one webcam working with the Pi ...
I'd say hope that you'll get a Rev. 2 board and then apt-get upgrade every day
... till USB is debugged properly (or at least the limations are documented properly)
A WiFi controlled lawn mower ? :shock:

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

nx5

Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:43 pm

Like ghans said, you'll have trouble even with just one webcam (dropped frames/very slow frame rate), four seems out of the question. I tried two different regular uvc webcams (one at a time!) and the pi was unusable for recording video.

dktucson

Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:27 am

I do security cameras as a side business and deal with computer dvr's. The old Pico2000 capture cards had a single chip splitting 30fps by 4 inputs for 7fps (halty & jerky). even with it's own video processor (BT878chip) you'd want a minimum of a 1.4 ghz machine and 512mb ram.
USB bandwith is even worse--try getting 4 usb cams to work on a quad core loaded for bear...t's just not going to work

nx5

Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:55 am

dktucson wrote:I do security cameras as a side business and deal with computer dvr's. The old Pico2000 capture cards had a single chip splitting 30fps by 4 inputs for 7fps (halty & jerky). even with it's own video processor (BT878chip) you'd want a minimum of a 1.4 ghz machine and 512mb ram.
USB bandwith is even worse--try getting 4 usb cams to work on a quad core loaded for bear...t's just not going to work
It would work without a hitch if the Pi didn't have all the problems it has. Just as an example, there's one of these Allwinner tablet boards that runs android that was shown displaying video from 4 different webcams at the same time in android.

ghans

Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:58 am

What are we talking about ?
Encoding and streaming or just viewing ?

The latter should be much easier.
But hardware-accelerated ?

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

nx5

Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:19 am

Yeah 4 webcams just viewing. Encoding would work only for one webcam at a time in the best case I guess.

dktucson

Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:13 pm

of course the pi will pick up remote streams, like the android with the webcam app. My security cams are accessible from a browser and I can view streams in midori or iceweasel on the pi. Using it as an input device to crunch & encode...? not so much...

pine

Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:00 pm

ghans,

Sorry this is off the thread topic, but your hint on searching the forum using google is brilliant! I had indeed given up ever trying to find something I'd seen previously as the search engine ... has limitations!

Many thanks.

howiez69

Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:36 am

Hi, newbie here, to forum and Pi... I'm looking into a security dvr type project with a Pi. I don't want to record, I just want to stream 4x wireless cameras to a 4x split screen. I was thinking of some cheap rf cameras or something but i'm not sure what i can interface with the pi. My brother has a rf camera and receiver i can test with, but has anyone any experience with a dvr like board to bring 4 streams into the Pi? Then i'd like to server a webpage to an android device for viewing on wireless network, or maybe a display right on the pi. Any ideas? TIA

ghans

Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:35 pm

USB digitizers suffer from the same problems as USB Webcams.
You could try networked ones , but they cost $200 each AFAIK.

ghans

timleiker

Sat May 04, 2013 5:59 pm

FYI-

I currently have two webcams running over wifi hooked up to a powered hub. I am running Motion and they both seems to have pretty good refresh rates. I just ordered more of the webcams I got to work. I will be hooking up three and the four to see the results. Here is the link to webcams. Good news, they are $7.98 with free shipping: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/PC-Lapto ... 39287.html

I have ordered from Aliexpress and I have tested the cam received. Works great.

Tim

pyeager

Sun May 12, 2013 5:57 am

Tim:

What you described sounds like something I want to do... maybe.

Are you using RPi as a video server? In other words, are you using RPi to make the webcam streams available on the network, or did I misunderstand?

A more detailed description of your setup would be appreciated!

Paul

SirLagz

Sun May 12, 2013 3:10 pm

2 would probably be as much as you get though.
I'm using motion and 1 webcam at 320x240 with about 5 fps works pretty well
If people are interested, I have a few webcams, so I can see how many I can get before it dies.
My Blog - http://www.sirlagz.net
Visit my blog for Tips, Tricks, Guides and More !
WiFi Issues ? Have a look at this post ! http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=44044

timleiker

Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:49 am

Paul,

You got it exactly.

I am only using the pi to act as a webcam server.

I currently have 3 webcams going.

It is more like open a web page see the image....stop the refresh.

wait until the Pi calms down abit, go to the next port and see that image...stop the refresh.

wait until the Pi calms down abit, go to the next port and see that image...stop the refresh.

That's three cams!!! completely useless for motion.

Gonna overclock the Pi, see if thing improve much.

Tim

Return to “General discussion”