phatbear

PM restriction on new users.

Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:21 am

Hi All. I would like to submit my opinion that prohibiting PMs for new users is not a very welcoming experience.

Having said that, I understand this encourages new users to post and creates a more active community.

Hello World!

scep

Re: PM restriction on new users.

Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:49 am

If you have never posted you will be classed as a 'new user' and so you can't send PMs.

You have now posted at least once -- so you are no longer a new user and can send PMs :)

itimpi

Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:21 am

phatbear wrote:Hi All. I would like to submit my opinion that prohibiting PMs for new users is not a very welcoming experience.

Having said that, I understand this encourages new users to post and creates a more active community.

Hello World!
Actually I believe this is primarily a security measure to help avoid the forum being flooded with spam. This forum is very active, so is an attractive target for spammers.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:32 am

itimpi wrote:
phatbear wrote:Hi All. I would like to submit my opinion that prohibiting PMs for new users is not a very welcoming experience.

Hello World!
Actually I believe this is primarily a security measure to help avoid the forum being flooded with spam. This forum is very active, so is an attractive target for spammers.
Exactly. Also stops some of the more, shall we saw, vigorous, postings getting through.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

JungleBoogie

Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:19 am

**feel free to delete once resolved**

I had the username Jungle-Boogie and I changed the email address for the account from my personal domain to @gmail.com. Once the email address was changed, I was advised the email address would be need to be verified. I did not receive the verification email and I cannot login as Jungle-Boogie and I'm not able to request a password reset. The FAQ suggested to find a board administrator but I could not PM and/or post until I registered for an account.

Moving forward, how can I login as Jungle-Boogie once again?
Happy Hacking!

scep

Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:41 pm

JungleBoogie wrote:I had the username Jungle-Boogie ...
I can't find any trace of that username, sorry!

Greg Erskine

Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:27 am

Hi guys,

I am only posting here so I can use PM. :mrgreen:

regards
* Raspberry Pi is a trademark of the Raspberry Pi Foundation

Tiger

Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:42 pm

Greg Erskine wrote:Hi guys,

I am only posting here so I can use PM. :mrgreen:

regards
Good idea. I am following you lead, now I have found this post and realised why I could not PM.

Return to “General discussion”